Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 08:51   #1

Looking for 40-50' Bluewater Monohull Sailboat <$200k

Seriously looking for a 40-50' liveaboard bluewater monhull sailboat with minimal work/refit needed. Budget is <$200k US. Cash buyer. (I'm a fan of the Hylas/Stevens 47, but open to many other well designed hulls with a solid history of circumnavigation, seakindliness, and good passage-making speed)

Preferred Specs:
1980 or later
Sloop, Cutter or Ketch
<7' draft
Metal or glass hull
All systems in good working condition
Recent sails, rigging refit
Low time diesel motor
Low time diesel genset
Genset driven A/C
Large fuel and water tankage
Good dry storage
Prefer 2-cabin owner layout
Fresh water maker
Modern electronics (HD rader GPS, chartplotter, VHFw/AIS)
Recent batteries and updated charging/inverter system
Solar power and/or wind generator
No blistering history on hull
Solid glass/epoxy around all through hulls/deck fittings
Solid glass below waterline
Skeg hung rudder
Arch/davit
Bimini/Dodger
Roller furling system on jib/genny (and stay sail)
Furling boom on mainsail or stackpack and lazy jacks (furling boom preferred)
Full-batten mainsail
Self tailing winches
Setup for single handed
Bow thruster
No damage or swamping history

Will respond with PM.

Thanks,

Shawn
Shawn0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 08:59   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Looking for 40-50' Bluewater Monohull Sailboat <$200k

Hi Shawn:

We are interested in speaking with you, we have a 1982 Stevens 47 with a very impressive list of updates/improvements.

Email me at.......moorahme82 at gmail.com if interested.
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 10:48   #3

Hi,

We spoke about your boat a while back. Is she still in Grenada? I think you mentioned you were sailing her to PR or FL.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 30-04-2017, 11:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn0900 View Post
Hi,

We spoke about your boat a while back. Is she still in Grenada? I think you mentioned you were sailing her to PR or FL.

Thanks,

Shawn
I'll try this once again, I have attempted 3x to reply

I'm sorry, we probably did chat when we had Moorahme on the market before, old age, or the convenience of old age does not help me in remembering.

We are currently in Antigua where we have enjoyed Classic Race week and now Antigua race week. Awesome! Moorahme is scheduled to be hauled for the duration of hurricane season May 17th.

We have enacted many, many additional upgrades in the last nine months. New salon cushions, all new doors on all salon cabinets, a complete bottom job down to the gelcoat, barrier coated, primed and seven coats of bottom paint in two colors so we know when we are close to needing a refresher, all new 1" stainless steel lifelines from the stern arch to the mid ship boarding gates, a new topping lift for the boom, all mainsail sheets run back to the cockpit and various other smaller projects. These, in addition to the Pro Furl in boom furler, the 100 hp turbo Yanmar engine with 1560 hours, the Kohler 5 kw generator, the Spectra Catalina watermaker, the 690 watt solar farm, the 18 month old Raymarine 7" hybrid chartplotter and 44 mile digital radar, the Vesper Watchmate 850 AIS, a less than year old top of the line Xantrex pure sine 3000 watt inverter/150 amp 3 stage battery charger, the Splendide washing machine.......all very nice and proper updates. Sorry, no bow thruster, I really don't think a competent skipper requires one on this boat.....she handles that well.

I ran into John Kreschmer here in Antigua, and he absolutely loves this S and S model sailboat, and I couldn't agree more. His write up available on line is a good one.

Moving to a trawler sooner than later would be fine with us, but in the meantime we truly enjoy sailing her, one hell of a boat.

You have our contact info if you'd like any additional pics or details. Best of luck in your search, it can be a rather daunting task.
Old 30-04-2017, 12:13   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Have you walked the docks?

Have you googled?

What comes up?

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 13:07   #6

Oh yeah, non-stop for over a year now. It's been tiring frankly. I'm definitely leaning towards a few hull styles. Unfortunately my budget really needs to be higher to get exactly what I want in a newer boat, but I like the classic lines of a few older boats. The Hylas 49 would be my boat of choice if I could afford it. Ted Brewer and Vince Lazzara were really moving in the right design direction back in the day, and clearly influenced other designers. The Stevens 47, Gulfstar 50 MKii, and Celestial 48's are all appealing to me. The Stevens 47 is my primary choice in that group. For slightly newer boats I really like the Beneteau 473 2-cabin version, but it does not have enough tankage and I'm leery of spade rudders and fin keels for passage making. It's also hard to find them without an in-mast furling system. I'd prefer a traditional rig or in-boom furling.
Old 30-04-2017, 18:12   #7

200k will get you there. I sailed and managed (only very briefly) a Stevens 50 Pilot House (extended). She sold some time back at 150k. The best thing since sliced bread. Probably the most sea friendly mid size yacht I have ever sailed. Better than more expensive and newer HR boats.

Make a long list. Then a short list. Then shop locally (or not, your call).

People here have heaps of boat experience. Just be a bit more specific with which boat you are after.

I have seen a clean and well rebuilt Skye (I think they are about 50 0r 51). She was listed at 105k (EUR money). Not sure if she sold. Good boat if you care for a ketch.

b.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
200k will get you there. I sailed and managed (only very briefly) a Stevens 50 Pilot House (extended). She sold some time back at 150k. The best thing since sliced bread. Probably the most sea friendly mid size yacht I have ever sailed. Better than more expensive and newer HR boats.

Make a long list. Then a short list. Then shop locally (or not, your call).

People here have heaps of boat experience. Just be a bit more specific with which boat you are after.

I have seen a clean and well rebuilt Skye (I think they are about 50 0r 51). She was listed at 105k (EUR money). Not sure if she sold. Good boat if you care for a ketch.

b.

Stevens/Hylas 47 is one of my primary choices at the moment. I'm trying to keep an open mind since there are plenty of boats I'm still not familiar with. I'll check out Skye. Never heard of it.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:33   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Check out the Bristol line greater than 40 feet, 48.8, 47.7, 45.5, and so on. These are second generation boats (designated with the .x after the length) with impeccable lineage and capability. Build quality and seaworthiness top notch. Very cost effective in the 80's and 90's vintage. Ted Hood designs (mostly) with Bristol craftsmanship. Go anywhere boats.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:47   #10

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

check out the Stevens 47 on the Bennett Brothers site.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:51   #11

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Shawn,

A few questions....

Do you have sailing experience? Boat ownership experience? Or are you brand new to this? A little of your back story would help this forum.

Cheers!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:14   #12

I would stick to a Stevens / Hylas 47 or take a PH50 if you get one at a fine price. 50 is a great boat. The pilot house is wobbly but this is easy to fix in any decent boatyard.

Mind a cheap one can imply plenty of post purchase $$ to get her to a seaworthy condition.

The Skye boats are easier to maintain and sail as individual gear pieces are smaller. But there are more of them so there is no price tradeoff.

I think your original plan is a very good boat choice. If 47 is anything like 50. They say they are identical.

b.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:28   #13

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

Cambria, whose blog I have been following, is now for sale. She is on the west coast though.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998...3064973/Canada
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:01   #14

[QUOTE=barnakiel;2383338]I would stick to a Stevens / Hylas 47 or take a PH50 if you get one at a fine price. 50 is a great boat. The pilot house is wobbly but this is easy to fix in any decent boatyard.

Mind a cheap one can imply plenty of post purchase $$ to get her to a seaworthy condition.

The Skye boats are easier to maintain and sail as individual gear pieces are smaller. But there are more of them so there is no price tradeoff.

I think your original plan is a very good boat choice. If 47 is anything like 50. They say they are identical.

b.[/QUOTE
The last two privately listed Stevens 47's both sold for over 175k U.S. They both had some very nice updates. So, yes, 200k will easily purchase one of these beauties.

Too bad you haven't been on one as yet Barnakiel, they sail fast, smooth and point very well. We don't think about reefing until the winds are up to 24 knots or better. Easy reefing with the front furler or the in boom main.

They are an easy 200 mile per day sailboat, and comfortable. They are a wet decked boat in a lot, or even most conditions, but the cockpit is high and dry. The two heads and 3 cabins, along with more than ample storage...I know, hard to believe more than ample, along with probably the best galley design that I have seen as yet, sure add to it's viability. Not many boats this size can boast a walk around galley with double sinks, 3 burner oven with stove, 5 cubic foot freezer and 6 cubic foot frig.

The rudder is huge. Last season when we had the bottom done in Grenada there was a Tayana 53 or 54 next to us, and the rudder on it was dwarfed by the rudder on the Stevens 47. The Tayana owner was very impressed by the Stevens.

They are just awesome sailboats, there are only 55 in the world, and a lot of them have circumnavigated. A lot said right there.

The Great Loop calls.....we're not getting any younger, hence our desire to sell.
Old 02-05-2017, 00:44   #15

Hello,
W're selling our Hallberg Rassy 42 Enderlein 1989. We lived aboard since 2014, and are now on Gran Canaria. Due to medical issues we have to stop our
Circumnavigation. Most of your expectations are available. If interested you can contact us by mail: Roger.jacobs30@gmail.com
Greetings.
Roger Jacobs

Take a look on our blogspot:
Aeolusopreis.blogspot.com
Aeolusopreis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, boat, hull, monohull, sail, sailboat, water