Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruisers Forum Sponsors > Vendor Spotlight - Great Deals for CF Members!
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2023, 13:54   #16

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: The external regulator we've all been waiting for!

What will cost $200? The list price of the Zeus is $796 USD.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 13:55   #17

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoMeCasa View Post
The Panbo writeup is only the press release.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 14:14   #18

I’d have one for $200AU in the blink of an eye, unfortunately the Zeus is $1,000 more than that.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 14:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
The Panbo writeup is only the press release.
Yes, a completely useless Panbo writeup.

Are none of our forumites aware enough about this amazing product to provide responses to my questions? The literature seems silent on details.
Old 21-09-2023, 14:50   #20

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
What will cost $200? The list price of the Zeus is $796 USD.
What will cost $200?
The external regulator we've/I have been waiting for.

I have not been waiting for an even more expensive one.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 15:21   #21

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Just a nit
24/7/365 = 7 years
24/7/52 = 1 year
I have no idea what your nit has to do with the topic.
However, 24/7/365 is not 7 years. I have never heard or seen it to mean that, and it is a term in common usage.

It means 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year.
It differs from 24/7 in level of reliability. For example, 99.99% vs. 99.999%. Something rated for 24/7 is rated for continuous operation, but might need to stop once in a while for some reason or another, for an update, restart, or whatever. 24/7/365 should not need those service breaks.
Old 21-09-2023, 17:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
What will cost $200?
The external regulator we've/I have been waiting for.

I have not been waiting for an even more expensive one.

Ah, yes, indeed!
Old 21-09-2023, 18:27   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
The external regulator we've all been waiting for!

Quote:
Some questions about listed features:
* It can convert your engine to a generator with the push of a button, producing more power and saving fuel. Huh? My alternators already produce 100% of the demanded power (or top out, if they can't make 100%). What does this feature actually do?
* It includes a SOC feature, saving the need for a battery monitor. My battery monitor sits at my nav station, providing at-a-glance status of SOC (and amps, and volts) 24/7/365. Where does this output, and is it "at-a-glance" or does it require powering up the Chartplotter or a phone app? Also, to get SOC, it has to have a battery shunt, is that correct?
* It has 2 thermistors. One limitation of typical regulators, such as my Balmar, is they only monitor one alternator temp. I used to use it to run 2 alternators (it has enough output) in parallel, but when I inherited a spare I installed it both as an installed spare but to provide temperature regulated control of both alternators. Can this regulate based on two temperatures? I'm fine if it backs off the field to both based on an overtemp on one.
* Assuming it has a shunt for SOC, how does it play with existing shunts (such as my LINK2000) or a Balmar SmartShunt, or the dedicated shunt required by the Batrium BMS, or the high-side shunt required by Electrodacus BMS? And if I already have a good SOC meter (my BMS, or my Link, etc), can I omit it? In other words, does the shunt simply provide SOC and if I don't want it I don't install it, or does it provide critical data for the regulator.

At double the price of a Balmar, it better do more than what I have!

Hopefully The Yacht Rigger will provide some color.
Old 21-09-2023, 22:22   #24

I have no connection to OP or the company but can make some guesses from reading their website:

Quote:
* It can convert your engine to a generator with the push of a button, producing more power and saving fuel. Huh? My alternators already produce 100% of the demanded power (or top out, if they can't make 100%). What does this feature actually do?
I think it fixes the field current at 100%. My Wakespeed will throttle this back when in float mode to keep voltage constant. Sometimes it would be nice to force bulk mode to charge the batteries up.

Quote:
* It includes a SOC feature, saving the need for a battery monitor. My battery monitor sits at my nav station, providing at-a-glance status of SOC (and amps, and volts) 24/7/365. Where does this output, and is it "at-a-glance" or does it require powering up the Chartplotter or a phone app? Also, to get SOC, it has to have a battery shunt, is that correct?
I think I read it includes 2 shunts, likely for this purpose. I imagine you’re correct about requiring the app or MFD (or something like a Triton2 or Nemesis).

Quote:
Agree, and I’m coming from a Wakespeed.
silvercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2023, 15:21   #25

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
Hopefully The Yacht Rigger will provide some color.
Sorry for the delay, will respond in full to all the questions very shortly. It was a very hectic week for us.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 05:23   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401

[QUOTE=sailingharry;3825099]
Quote:

The regulator has an RPM/Alternator output curve (will post pic in separate thread). The purpose of this is to have a powerful alternator on a small engine. You can limit the load from the alternator at low RPM not to bog down your engine at a marina. THe Generator mode removes this function temporarily so you can take advantage of the full power of the alternator that would otherwise be limited based on your RPM. Mostly used on larger 250amp plus alternators

The regulator has a phone app so that is “at a glance”. If you already have a battery monitor there is no reason to use this feature on the regulator. It’s just an add on the engineers added because the system incorporates a shunt. They are also working on importing Victron data so you can display your Victron SOC on the ARCO app.

* It has 2 thermistors. One limitation of typical regulators, such as my Balmar, is they only monitor one alternator temp. I used to use it to run 2 alternators (it has enough output) in parallel, but when I inherited a spare I installed it both as an installed spare but to provide temperature regulated control of both alternators. Can this regulate based on two temperatures? I'm fine if it backs off the field to both based on an overtemp on one.

Yes the regulator has enough output to supply two alternators. At the moment there is no native way of accomplishing this. However, I am working with the engineers for a work around on this. If that is your goal we can come to a solution. This why working with ARCO has been so great, the listen.

* Assuming it has a shunt for SOC, how does it play with existing shunts (such as my LINK2000) or a Balmar SmartShunt, or the dedicated shunt required by the Batrium BMS, or the high-side shunt required by Electrodacus BMS? And if I already have a good SOC meter (my BMS, or my Link, etc), can I omit it? In other words, does the shunt simply provide SOC and if I don't want it I don't install it, or does it provide critical data for the regulator.

100% you can omit the SOC from the regulator. There is a toggle off and on feature. In fact I would recommend you keep using what you have. As for the shunt you can tie into your existing shunt and the ARCO will read off that. There are selectable shunt options within the app for the most common shunts. If you want to read the output of your alternator then you would add a shunt for the alternator. If your BMS has an external control relay to shut down charging the regulator has a dedicated wire for that as well.

It does MUCH more than what you have, but may not be needed in your case.
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 05:38   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401

Quote:
I think it fixes the field current at 100%. My Wakespeed will throttle this back when in float mode to keep voltage constant. Sometimes it would be nice to force bulk mode to charge the batteries up.
This is correct. It disables the RPM curve if you want it. You also have other controls such as half power mode or turn int completely off if needed right from the app.

Quote:
I think I read it includes 2 shunts, likely for this purpose. I imagine you’re correct about requiring the app or MFD (or something like a Triton2 or Nemesis).
It has the option to read two shunts. One for the batteries and one for the alternator. They are optional since most people already have a shunt on their batteries. You can tap into your existing shunt. The regulator has a phone app for full monitoring and control. It does send NMEA2000 PGN’s so you can display things like your RPM on your chart plotter. It does not have a chartplotter app “yet”

Quote:
Agree, and I’m coming from a Wakespeed.
Unfortunately Wakespeed pricing is misleading. When you add the price of the wiring harness for the Wakespeed the price difference is less than $100
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 10:57   #28

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia View Post

Unfortunately Wakespeed pricing is misleading. When you add the price of the wiring harness for the Wakespeed the price difference is less than $100
$500 AUD or $322 USD here
Including harness

https://safiery.com/product/wakespee...on-for-marine/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 11:20   #29

Acadia,

A few responses. Seems I can't quote/respond to a previously quoted response.

So, the "generator" function is the reverse of the Balmar "small engine" mode. Most regulators give full power (with temperature throttling, where needed) and you can reduce power for small engines. So, on my boat (I didn't wire the "small engine" switch) I am essentially always in "generator" mode.

"At-a-glance" is to me a deal breaker. It's one of the big "must haves" as I research a BMS for my upcoming LFP. Unless I retain my LINK (I am likely to), the idea of pulling out my phone and opening an app just to see my SOC is crazy. I even have full time ammeters dedicated to my Solar, Wind, and Watt and Sea so I can glance at them and see their output. Phone apps are nice (and I do like the Victron app to see details), but "at a glance" means looking at the meter as I turn on the anchor light breaker. But I don't live on my cell when on the water, so I'm different. But since this entire SOC is a bonus for those that don't have an SOC gauge, it's, well, a "free extra." Although anyone who is paying this much for a regulator probably already has an SOC meter (and probably a full BMS!).

Running two alternators is super easy. The field wire is split in two, goes to both alternators. As the demand scales back (target voltage is reached), they both scale back in tandem. The only drawback is that with one thermister, you have to decide which alternator you want to sense. Mine are identical, except one is 10% more powerful than the other, so I put the sense on the more powerful one. Actually reading both themisters, and dialing back for the hotter, would be great. If they use thermisters, that's a problem (it requires additional wires). If they use a I2C digital sensor, it's easier -- you can add a second sensor to the same wire and process it in software.

Are you part of ARCO? You sound very informed.
Old 24-09-2023, 10:11   #30

The "generator mode" that runs at 100% field makes no sense to me. When/where/how would one use that, versus regulated field output based on output voltage?

And I agree with others that it's too expensive. Basically a cold bucket of water on the whole thing. Balmar is expensive, Wakespeed is worth it only if you need some specific feature that Balmar can't provide, and it looks like the Arco Zeus is equivalent to the Wakespeed, but at $800 vs $600 (including harness). So I think it's DOA, unless there is a lot of margin in the product and street pricing ends up the same or less than Wakespeed.

It is great to have another full-featured regulator available, but to gain any attention it needs to be $100 or more less than Wakespeed, not $200 more. Same thing for more $$ won't sell well.

Tags
regulator