Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2022, 09:23   #1

Boat: 1976 Westsail 42
external chainplates - external hex key bolt heads?

Focusing on serviceability with my refit. Two of my chain plates are a true PIA to reach the nuts. All exterior mounted. Liking the idea of having a my external bolt side be a stainless machine screw with an hex key head.

It would make the removal of a bolt a "sorta" two person job, I'd need to brace a breaker on the backside to unscrew from the outside, but two of these are going to be a nightmare to get a wrench on. I'm honestly thinking about ripping a cabinet completely out just to spite these two.

Is there any hard reason not to use a large machine style bolt on the exterior as I have suggested?
theller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 09:41   #2

Boat: Orca 38
Re: external chainplates - external hex key bolt heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theller View Post
Focusing on serviceability with my refit. Two of my chain plates are a true PIA to reach the nuts. All exterior mounted. Liking the idea of having a my external bolt side be a stainless machine screw with an hex key head.

It would make the removal of a bolt a "sorta" two person job, I'd need to brace a breaker on the backside to unscrew from the outside, but two of these are going to be a nightmare to get a wrench on. I'm honestly thinking about ripping a cabinet completely out just to spite these two.

Is there any hard reason not to use a large machine style bolt on the exterior as I have suggested?
Fender placement would be about the only negative thing I can think of. It'd tear up anything riding against it.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:27   #3

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: external chainplates - external hex key bolt heads?

Why not weld the stainless nuts to a stainless backing plate and glass that to the inside of the hull. The nuts would need fairly big washers anyway to spread the compressive loading on the hull material. The bolts go through the exterior chain plate, through the hull and into the captive nuts. You don't need access to the nuts at all.
Your idea of using a machine screw with a round head and recessed hex key slot is good as that will not chew up fenders (and other boats' topsides) as much as a standard hex head bolt. Will also look less "agricultural".
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head