Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2018, 15:06   #106
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: PSOC definition

None of which (so far on the market) come close to Firefly **carbon foam**, unique resistance to (what would be abusive with any other batt) PSOC conditions.

Yes needs a periodic "capacity restore / reconditioning" protocol (not standard equalizing) depending on how bad the PSOCing (there, I verbed it!)

Maine Sail and Calder's testing published in Practical Sailor was real-world and extensive over time.

But the whole issue goes **completely** away with LFP.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 15:07   #107
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Clearly at least when talking about lead acid batteries the battery will be in a partial state of charge (as in not fully charged) when not at 100% SOC.

So as soon as you take a FLA off the charger and a little self discharge happens or even a minor draw down the battery will be at a partial state of charge.

To me it really does not make any sense to say that the acronym PSOC means that he battery is not fully charged.

It does however make a lot of sense to use PSOC as an acronym the indicated that the battery is being cycles in partial state of charge mode.

Ack! I'm being drawn back in.
And there I thought we disagreed 8-)

Find any fault with my usage in my post above?
Old 18-09-2018, 15:21   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
And there I thought we disagreed 8-)

Find any fault with my usage in my post above?
Sounds like a reasonable use to me verbified or not.

(I must not post on this topic again, I must not post on this topic again...)
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 15:33   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PSOC != Partial State Of Charge?

Since you asked, as an engineer I cringe when seeing an acronym that does not mean what the underlying words mean.

"Partial" = incomplete.

"State" = the particular condition that someone or something is in at a specific time.

"Charge" = energy stored chemically for conversion into electricity.

"Charge" can also be used as a verb, but "state of charge" is a condition, not a process.

Apparently we all agree that "partial state of charge" means a battery not fully charged. And that's what PSOC should mean as well. If you want an acronym for the cycling of a battery without fully-charging after a discharge, then call it something else. Even PSOCC (Partial State Of Charge Cycling) would be acceptable.

Why go out of your way to confuse people?
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 15:42   #110
cruiser

Some links I had a 9 y.o. student find for me as an exercise in levelling up his google-**.

They apparently address quite a few topics covered here, not just semantics of the initialism (PSOC is not an acronym!)

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in.../#post-1362270

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in.../#post-1206914

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...ort.html?amp=1
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1935291

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2184534

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2421951
Old 18-09-2018, 16:00   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Some links I had a 9 y.o. student find for me as an exercise in levelling up his google-**.

They apparently address quite a few topics covered here, not just semantics of the initialism (PSOC is not an acronym!)

[links]
Sure, Mainsail uses PSOC to mean PSOCC (Partial State of Charge Cycling), but I think he is misguided in using it in this manner. And at least one of your links uses the phrase "PSOC Cycling". Why did they include "Cycling", which according to you is redundant?

Look I don't actually care what you guys want to call it, and I do understand what you have defined it to mean. If it were up to me I would use a less-confusing initialism, that's all. There is a beauty in engineering, and one aspect of that is the use of self-consistent definitions. If I had wanted to use phrases that were confusing and obfuscating, I would have been a lawyer.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 17:19   #112

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

It is if you pronounce it "pee-sock" (or is the pee silent, as in "swimming pool" ?

Is SQL an initialism or an acronym?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 17:30   #113

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Sure, Mainsail uses PSOC to mean PSOCC (Partial State of Charge Cycling), but I think he is misguided in using it in this manner. And at least one of your links uses the phrase "PSOC Cycling". Why did they include "Cycling", which according to you is redundant?
Actually, there are lots of instances in those links where Maine Sail uses the expressions "PSOC cycling" and PSOC cyclic use". But he is not consistent.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 17:30   #114

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Exactly my point.

What these three makers are perhaps calling equalizing / conditioning , but at their regular charging voltages rather than higher

is not what the industry has called equalizing / conditioning for many decades.

Only Lifeline's specs are in line with that industry standard definition.

At this point I think we all fully understand the issues, just debating semantics.

If the topic comes up in another thread, let's remember to just link back to here so as not to have to re-litigate it all over again from scratch 8-)
Could you point me to the "industry standard definition"? If not, who might be in charge of coming up with an industry standard definition if not the very manufacturers you now say don't know what they are talking about when they discuss equalization and conditioning. This is a bit like your assertion that when a manufacturer doesn't write something that aligns with your opinions, it is because their "marketing department" won't let them, or they are conspiring to give bad advice to their customers in the hopes their products will fail. Which you seem to think will somehow result in financial success for those manufacturers. Sorry, John, but this is lunacy.
Old 18-09-2018, 17:32   #115

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
I wonder how many have actually called tech support and just refrain from acknowledging it since the conversation didn't support the barrow they're pushing?

Ah, human nature 8-)
Or, how many people say they did and paid no attention to what was said....8-)
Old 20-09-2018, 14:47   #116
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Sure, Mainsail uses PSOC
I have had no interest in that argument at all for a very long time.
Old 20-09-2018, 15:09   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To me it really does not make any sense to say that the acronym PSOC means that he battery is not fully charged.

It does however make a lot of sense to use PSOC as an acronym the indicated that the battery is being cycles in partial state of charge mode.

Those seem to mean the same thing to me. I think we all understand what the application for the use of the term is.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote