Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2018, 21:19   #91

Re: Lithium ion house battery bank disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Etter View Post
> >
> >Bulk 14.4V
> >Absorb 14.6V
> >Float 13.6V

Don’t float lithium batteries. They like to be cycled or stored around 50%. Read a few different packs and you see some warnings about floating and storage.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 21:29   #92

Here is a great place to start reading if one wants to start learning about LFP -https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 21:59   #93

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Ok, quoting Maine Sail is almost cheating. But you would be right.
Old 20-04-2018, 05:27   #94

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

When used while sailing, they are both - cycled ( during the night ) and in float ( during the day, when solar has filled them up and continues to feed the on board systems ). This is the normal use pattern when cruising. You should just configure your gear to the right voltages.

If you go to float after finishing charging at 14.4...14.6V, and the charger switches to float, they discharge down to the float level, there is no charge current going in, they just stop discharging at float and keep this cell voltage, the cell modules stop equilizing, everything is fine, excess energy goes to the on board devices.

In the evening the battery discharges while supplying the fridges / freezers / ac / nav lights / instruments / fog horn / party equipment / under water lights / radar / hot water boiler...
Old 20-04-2018, 05:40   #95

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
When used while sailing, they are both - cycled ( during the night ) and in float ( during the day, when solar has filled them up and continues to feed the on board systems ). This is the normal use pattern when cruising. You should just configure your gear to the right voltages.

If you go to float after finishing charging at 14.4...14.6V, and the charger switches to float, they discharge down to the float level, there is no charge current going in, they just stop discharging at float and keep this cell voltage, the cell modules stop equilizing, everything is fine, excess energy goes to the on board devices.

In the evening the battery discharges while supplying the fridges / freezers / ac / nav lights / instruments / fog horn / party equipment / under water lights / radar / hot water boiler...
i observe my victron mppt and after going to float, starts cycle again after larger energy consumer turned on and voltage falls under certain level in same day.

So it appears one can get multiple cycles of charging in a day. That would not be good for lithium....
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 13:13   #96

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

you have 5000+ cycles down to to 20% SOC, what is not good about it?

LFP are not made forever, but they last 10+ years with heavy duty cycles. It is OK to use them.

We mount them not to pamper them all day long, but to use them all the time heavily, so set up and forget.
Old 20-04-2018, 13:32   #97

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
you have 5000+ cycles down to to 20% SOC, what is not good about it?
Do you notice that 5,000 discharge cycles is approx. 15 years, cycling the batteries every day. No marina stays, no refits, just cycling every day. It is not bad but few of us will keep a boat/live that long. If someone told you the car engine is good for 1 million miles and typically you sell your car after 100K miles, would you pay 5x for the longer lasting engine? It is a hard sell. You can argue about resale, etc. but still.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 14:32   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Don’t float lithium batteries. They like to be cycled or stored around 50%. Read a few different packs and you see some warnings about floating and storage.

I've seen these blanket statements too. But you CAN float lithiums. It's simply a matter of setting the right float voltage, where the batteries are not being charged, but loads are mostly being carried by the solar.

Typically this would only happen for a few hours per day, then the solar will no longer meet loads and the batteries will start to be used.

Doing this will result in shallower cycles and longer battery life.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 16:36   #99
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Would firefly's work the same way? If so, what would the recommended voltage be
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 17:55   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Before I bought mine, I researched FireFly's for several years.

And the answer is MAYBE.

The factory says it's okay to float, but recommend to avoid if possible.
After pushing the issue, they admitted short term floats (a few hours to a couple of days) would likely cause no harm. But they stressed for longer times (weeks or months), they need to be removed from charging sources.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 18:14   #101
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Firefly's marketing dept raised the **acceptable** float voltage up to 13.5V maximum, but 13.2V is still recommended for longevity, and engineering recommends no Floating at all as the ideal, just like with LFP.

It really doesn't take much to isolate your super-expensive bank from further charging while a cheap batt+charge source carries loads.

A simple adjustable LVD then reconnects the loads buss once voltage drops a bit.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 18:21   #102
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Do you notice that 5,000 discharge cycles is approx. 15 years, cycling the batteries every day. No marina stays, no refits, just cycling every day. It is not bad but few of us will keep a boat/live that long. If someone told you the car engine is good for 1 million miles and typically you sell your car after 100K miles, would you pay 5x for the longer lasting engine? It is a hard sell. You can argue about resale, etc. but still.
I have multiple off-grid living spaces, some mobile some not, that are serviced by LFP.

I plan on my LFP banks lasting much longer than most of their current "vehicles", and they are easily moved, along with the critical chargers and protective gear, all part of the design.

So really a better analogy than a vehicle-specific ICE, would be a portable Honda gennie, and yes I do spend more on those, rather than a $300 knockoff at Home Depot.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 22:12   #103

Boat: Catalina 470

As I previously stated I'll be heading the lithium way down the track (5-7years).

Im not sure if a link to Mainesails article as been posted before, it's a long read but a good one.

https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

I'm not an earlier adopter, yes I understand Lifepo have been around for quite sometime BUT for marine they still fall under the early adopter umbrella in reference to the cruising world.

As in the above article Mainesail points out that a Diy application is a great way to loose alot of money, he dosent 100% understand them yet (his own words) and this guy has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know when it comes to batteries and 12v systems.

Good on all the guys that have them up and running well. Personally I'm waiting for them to get to a point where they are very mainstream, plug and play and even more heavily discounted.

IMHO there's many cruisers that don't understand traditional battery charging and setups, batteries are getting murdered in all the seas and oceans of the world everyday.... what can the masses do with Lifepo?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 00:19   #104

Boat: Outremer 55L

Is our NZ price of batteries reasonable? We’ve got an AGM 12V 660 AH house bank that is going to need replacing soon. Usable AHs are 330 and sufficient for our usage.

6 Volt Trojan T-105 225 AH batteries are 282.61 NZD ~200 USD each, so 6 batteries for 12V 675 AH about 1200 USD.

12 Volt AGMs 100 AH are ~ 250 USD each, so 7 batteries for 700 AHs about 1750 USD. Is the extra cost over the Trojans worth not having to water batteries?

400 AH LiFePo with integrated BMS would be about 5000 USD.

All three solutions provide 320-350 AH of usable power.

Will I get 3-4x the cycles with LiFePo?

Space and weight not really issues as we’ve already got the existing AGMs in there.

Other considerations?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 00:40   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Is our NZ price of batteries reasonable? We’ve got an AGM 12V 660 AH house bank that is going to need replacing soon. Usable AHs are 330 and sufficient for our usage.

6 Volt Trojan T-105 225 AH batteries are 282.61 NZD ~200 USD each, so 6 batteries for 12V 675 AH about 1200 USD.

12 Volt AGMs 100 AH are ~ 250 USD each, so 7 batteries for 700 AHs about 1750 USD. Is the extra cost over the Trojans worth not having to water batteries?

400 AH LiFePo with integrated BMS would be about 5000 USD.

All three solutions provide 320-350 AH of usable power.

Will I get 3-4x the cycles with LiFePo?

Space and weight not really issues as we’ve already got the existing AGMs in there.

Other considerations?
Your price for lithiums seems to be very high. In Australia my lithiums cost 150% of what AGMs would have. So my financial break even time span is 9 years.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, men