Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 13:57   #1

Boat: Groupe Finot 42 (Steel)
Best "Live-aboard Trade" to pursue @ 32 years of age??

Hello fellow Sea Dogs!
I set my goal, saved and purchased my dream sailboat (31' Bombay Clipper) exactly a year ago at this time last year. I have been LOVING every minute of living aboard at Dinner Key Marina in Coconut Grove, Miami, FL. I have been in the Hospitality Industry all of my (adult) life bartending, and, now, run my own company, which consults the South FL Hospitality Industry (Restaurant, Retail & Hotels). I am trying to plan my next set of goals, and, eventually, it would end with me cruising the world. I had a question that I knew someone on the Forum would have a straight, and honest opinion on, which is,"What trade would you pursue if you were a 32 year old, and wanted to earn a little extra money while cruising the world?" I was researching Marine Electrician courses, which I am interested in, and I know I could help fellow boaters in most anchorages/marinas abroad, but I was hoping to learn of more options from the experienced out there! Cheers, and thank you for your time and help. Cheers, Erik
UneeklyCommon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 16:54   #2

Re: Best "Live-aboard Trade" to pursue @ 32 years of age??

From personal experience I'd say you can't go far wrong with marine technician (mechanic, electrician, etc). Lots of opportunities, but just remember that cruisers are cheap and will prefer to barter/trade favors rather than part with cold hard cash.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 17:02   #3

Not that I have done it but I see a lot of people blogging and getting sponsorship and sometimes even writing articles for pay any submitting to different publications. Everyone likes different perspectives and I would think there are a lot of people your age who would like to know what this life is like!
sealife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Common, & sealife.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:29   #5

Thank you. I am excited to become part of this lifestyle. In my learning curve reading voraciously and soon taking lessons as I own a motor boat but have never sailed. Selling the motor boat and hope to be on sailboat full time soon.
sealife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:05   #6

It would probably depend where your cruising grounds will be. In US there is always a shortage of dependable, knowledgeable and not too expensive canvas makers. And it is a trade that is mostly portable and can be set up at practically any location with a little effort and ingenuity. I wish I hit upon it 20 years ago in my early 30s when the sailing bug bit me. I'd be cruising by now with side income to boot.

An average typical enclosure is in the $3-4K range and many are above $5K. If you consider that the materials are about $1K give or take (may be more for fancier installs) and the total time, once you get the hang of it, is a few days to a week or two worth of work per order - you figure out the profit margin. But to become good at this IMO one needs an apprenticeship of some significant time. Perhaps CF's canvas makers can chime in with more details or suggestions.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:31   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

If you are planning to spend a lot of time in the tropics there is a real shortage of Marine Refrigeration and A/C people that are really good. The equipment cost to start a business of this type is very low as it is a knowledge/skill based profession. Here in the Caribbean a good HVAC guy can charge $60/$80 hr and work at least 50 hours a week all year long.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:52   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is at least one thread on how to make money while cruising, see if you can find it. It if memory serves has hundreds of posts and therefore many ideas, and the pitfalls your likely to run into, like competing against Nationals that are of course citizens and pay taxes etc, while you are not, and do not.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:54   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think this is it, about 1400 posts I think
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ist-37982.html

I'm not trying to kill this thread, just this will give you a lot of answers I hope
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:57   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

well here in Marsh Harbor Bahamas yesterday one of the cruisers told me he had just paid $800labor to have his fuel pump replaced and it took a couple of days for the guy to even show up (that's right on Island Time)
Old 03-03-2017, 06:06   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Erik,

You ask a question many ask and has generated a few discussions on the forum. Here's a link to the most recent and longest thread on the subject. Should give you a few hours of reading.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ist-37982.html

To summarize a few of the issues.

- If you're cruising place to place it's hard to build up a regular business and relationship with local partners that could refer clients.
- As noted, most cruisers are in a help each other mentality and it's hard to earn much working within the cruising community alone.
- Cruising outside the US you will run into local regulations just like non citizens experience in the US. Got to have a green card or local version of one. Most countries you visit (unless you cruise to Europe or other first world countries) will be poorer than the US and locals will be very, very jealous of jobs and potential income. They will not be happy to see a rich yachty from the US "stealing" their customers.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:26   #12

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I think the best marketable skill or business to develop for income while cruising woud be one that is either Internet-based or can be conducted through the Internet.
For the reasons cited in the previous posts, attempting get other cruisers to depart with cash to support your cruising life is a tough proposition. Trying to develop a professional reputation and customer base while moving from location to location is even tougher. And then there is the problem of being a guest worker in a foreign country.
So my recommendation would be to get training and start working a computer-based field, such as web site design and support, or program development. Then work in that field for a few years to develop the skills and reputation that would incourage people to use your services when you are cruising.
Unfortunately that isn't something you can accomplish with a 6 week training course then go cruising. It will take several years.

Maybe the best option is to build on what you've got - hospitality services. I would expect you could find temporary employment to re-fill a cruising kitty periodically, even if it meant returning to the states for those jobs.

Good luck,
John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:57   #13

Boat: Groupe Finot 42 (Steel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
It would probably depend where your cruising grounds will be. In US there is always a shortage of dependable, knowledgeable and not too expensive canvas makers. And it is a trade that is mostly portable and can be set up at practically any location with a little effort and ingenuity. I wish I hit upon it 20 years ago in my early 30s when the sailing bug bit me. I'd be cruising by now with side income to boot.

An average typical enclosure is in the $3-4K range and many are above $5K. If you consider that the materials are about $1K give or take (may be more for fancier installs) and the total time, once you get the hang of it, is a few days to a week or two worth of work per order - you figure out the profit margin. But to become good at this IMO one needs an apprenticeship of some significant time. Perhaps CF's canvas makers can chime in with more details or suggestions.
This was a very interesting trade that I would have never thought of, so thank you for that. I did a little research, and did get my mind juices flowing. You did use the word, "portable", and wondered to what extent, because you surely couldn't complete this work inside a cabin. Do cruisers in this work spread out on the dock with their 40 lbs sewing machine? Get the needed materials flown in? If you had the opportunity, again, you would look for an apprenticeship? The profit margin is good enough that one job a month would be sufficient. If you have any other advice, I would be more than pleased to hear it. Thank you for your unique idea! Cheers, Erik
UneeklyCommon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:09   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneeklyCommon View Post
For some reason, the linked thread didn't even have the most obvious of trades.
Would be very interested to learn what these most obvious of trades might be.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
I think the best marketable skill or business to develop for income while cruising woud be one that is either Internet-based or can be conducted through the Internet.
For the reasons cited in the previous posts, attempting get other cruisers to depart with cash to support your cruising life is a tough proposition. ......................
So my recommendation would be to get training and start working a computer-based field, such as web site design and support, or program development. Then work in that field for a few years to develop the skills and reputation that would incourage people to use your services when you are cruising.
Unfortunately that isn't something you can accomplish with a 6 week training course then go cruising. It will take several years.

Become an expert on OpenCPN. Lots of questions about it crop up here daily!

More seriously, what you're asking could be turned on its head: ask not what you can do for fellow cruisers, but ask what capabilities and interests YOU have to offer.

Most cruisers, if they're smart (like all the skippers on this forum) are already pretty self-sufficient. I have been studying boating electrical systems for many ears and have given freely of my efforts on this and other boating forums. Over the years I have helped literally hundreds of sailors design their systems on the internet. In that same time I have NOT physically installed any, other than the one on MY own boat. If a cruiser can't trace down issues with his own electrical system, it means a few things to me: they don't understand what they have; they don't have the right tools and supplies; they've indirectly chosen to go "out there" unprepared for the real world of boat electrical systems. But from everything I've read, it's rare, extremely rare, to hear stories that go: "I was in this remote anchorage and a fella dinked over and asked me to splice the antenna cable and power lead to his VHF because he couldn't figure out why it wasn't working." Just rarely happens. OTOH, my engine wouldn't start when I was out there one day in 2004. I got out my tools, and spliced in a new fuse holder on the start circuit. How'd I know what it was? I read and studied. A LOT.

But you have to have the bent to want to know this stuff, and what works on your boat may not be the same on someone else's boat. I use the example of going the "diesel school: "I could care less about learning about a Yanmar engine, 'cuz I have a Universal. That's the ONLY engine I care or need to know anything about."

Specific trades requiring expensive equipment and knowledge are time consuming and may be self limiting in assisting others. My friend learned to sew, did his own sails and canvas. Brought his sewing machine. But while he could help others with minor repairs, his only color of canvas was the black he brought for his own boat. He simply didn't have space for all the other colors.

Portability is the key.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trade