Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 18:45   #16

Boat: Orca 38
Re: alternator smart regulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I plan to build a better manual regulator to keep aboard as a backup.

+1
Great idea!
Old 05-11-2013, 18:45   #17

Very wise. Other option is to have a backup new regulator. So many sail with backup alternators, why not a backup regulator, too?

Quote:
Smart regulators are quite nice, and a number of good products to choose from, but also think about what you are going to do when it fails...almost certainly in a remote anchorage. My good old Next Step, which had kept my house bank well tended for 9 years, finally crapped out on me in the San Blas islands this year...not a lot of dealers there...jury rigged a manual regulator out of spares. I plan to build a better manual regulator to keep aboard as a backup.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 18:51   #18

Quote:
Smart regulators are quite nice, and a number of good products to choose from, but also think about what you are going to do when it fails...almost certainly in a remote anchorage. My good old Next Step, which had kept my house bank well tended for 9 years, finally crapped out on me in the San Blas islands this year...not a lot of dealers there...jury rigged a manual regulator out of spares. I plan to build a better manual regulator to keep aboard as a backup.
I used to carry an old prestolite regulator for a backup. It originally came hooked up to my old Balmar.
An interesting exercise; Balmar vs Next Step; I had the Balmar version 3 and the Next Step on my HansChristian38. 100 amp alternator/single belt. I tried both, the Next Step was head and shoulders above the Balmar as far as the first 15 minutes of output... by something like 15 amps! I had to take the Next Step off as I just couldnt keep belts on the engine with it. I imagine Balmar has improve that a couple versions later...
As far as backup in the field, just hook a wire from the battery to the field and keep watching the amps out put/temperature...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 19:25   #19

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
So what does happen when they fail? Do they run wide open? I've kicked the can down the road on that one and not sure what I'd do besides slip a little hitachi back in there. Kind of spendy for a spare ARS-5, and I could make do with 20-30 amps. Mine is a hehr power line tuned down to 70 A. Great technology.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 19:29   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
So what does happen when they fail? Do they run wide open? I've kicked the can down the road on that one and not sure what I'd do besides slip a little hitachi back in there. Kind of spendy for a spare ARS-5, and I could make do with 20-30 amps. Mine is a hehr power line tuned down to 70 A. Great technology.
Depends on how they fail, but most common is no output at all. Although, I have seen runaway voltage too, but less common I think.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 19:32   #21

Not sure I'm clear on how to build a manual one without frying alt.

What does one see out there in the marketplace for an inexpensive spare? Cheechako is the prestolite something on the market? I've just never seen an external regulator out there at napa etc
Old 05-11-2013, 19:35   #22

I saw an install on a gulf 41 that had the spare mounted right next to the primary. In case of a failure you could swap the wires. I thought it was a pretty good idea as a spare storage thing.

I still might be willing to carry a identical spare depending on where I was going and for how long. With an older or smaller spare, it's just a stop gap fix, and you could still be in the middle of nowhere needing a part that needs to ship massive distances and hoping everything goes right. If I could afford it, I'd get an identical one just for the halibut.
Old 05-11-2013, 19:38   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
A $10.00 Ford external regulator off eBay makes a great get you home spare.... They use the same plug format as Balmar, Xantrex and the old Heart Interface regulators....
Old 05-11-2013, 19:38   #24

And THEN maybe the old stock one that came on the boat, just in case.

2 is 1 and 1 is none
Old 05-11-2013, 19:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

A $10.00 Ford external regulator off eBay makes a great get you home spare.... They use the same plug format as Balmar, Xantrex and the old Heart Interface regulators....
Cool. I like the sound of $10. I wonder if I have one if those in the parts room..... ?

Thanks again for bringing it up Belize, nice to have a solution.
Old 05-11-2013, 20:03   #26

Boat: Spirit 28
Quote:
Several companies make external single stage regs that are cheaper than three stage.

Like http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...289953&id=6468

And http://www.hamiltonferris.com/produc..._Regulators/11

Plus, alts built on the Delco cs130d (like Balmar series 6) have a built in internal reg on standby.
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 22:11   #27

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
Smart regulators are quite nice.....but also think about what you are going to do when it fails...almost certainly in a remote anchorage.....
My new (2010) Balamar alternator has an internal regulator and connections for an external regulator. They recommend a two way switch to power the internal or the external regulator.

This is a good backup to get you home but surprisingly it regulates to only 13.8 volts.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:11   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinglegend View Post
My new (2010) Balamar alternator has an internal regulator and connections for an external regulator. They recommend a two way switch to power the internal or the external regulator.

This is a good backup to get you home but surprisingly it regulates to only 13.8 volts.
Yes, a fine design idea. Internal regulators are typically less intelligent than externals so the 13.8 does not surprise me...better than some automotive regulators that have even lower set points.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17   #29

Quote:

Cool. I like the sound of $10. I wonder if I have one if those in the parts room..... ?

You're welcome. Always important to have a plan B...and a plan C, D, E....

My original install, by builder, was a single Next Step controlling two alternators (twin engine) so it was a single point of failure. My new install will be a seperate Next Step for each alternator so I've got built in redundancy....AND I plan to carry an external regulator too.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:05   #30

Quote:

here ya go, 3 for $22.
3 New Voltage Regulators for Ford Products 1968 1976 USA Made | eBay

This picture shows the usual wiring scheme stamped on the cover: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-THUNDER...#ht_269wt_1255

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, regulator