Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 14:10   #1

Solar Panels

Not quite familiar with solar panels. What can I expect a commonly used (large) solar panel to power? We would like to power:

a medium sized refrigerator
small freezer
Navigation Equip
radio/speakers
Lights interior and running
Laptop
Small Tv/DVD at night

It would be rare to run all items at once, however, just interested to know how far you can stretch a panel and what we can expect.

I know there is a calculation that can be done to know exactly but just curious what cruisers are running and what size panels are getting the job done for a ballpark idea.

What about wind generators? Do they power anything significant?

Thanks,

Vick
cvick76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 14:15   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
You need to figure out how many amp hours you'll consume in a 24 hour period, then size the panels to replace it all in 6-8 hours.

We've got 130 watts of panel and a 200 watt wind gen. On average the panels provided much more power than the wind. We're running a 2 cubic foot fridge and basic electronics. I'll be adding more solar soon.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 14:33   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Solar Panels

my 290W panel does it (boat on a mooring with the frig/freezer always on)

but you need to definite better what you you need as to the solar panel powering those things. If you are talking sailing over the weekend and then having the batteries recharged when you come back, a 100W will probably do it.
Old 04-11-2013, 14:56   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have 300 watts and does fine without the auto pilot on all the time. I could use another 100-200 though.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have 300 watts and does fine without the auto pilot on all the time. I could use another 100-200 though.
So what I gather if I installed 2 x 200w panels and a wind generator I would probably be reasonably powered for the items listed. Again, just trying to get a ballpark idea, not exact.

Thank You,

Vick
Old 05-11-2013, 11:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvick76 View Post
So what I gather if I installed 2 x 200w panels and a wind generator I would probably be reasonably powered for the items listed. Again, just trying to get a ballpark idea, not exact.

Thank You,

Vick
No problem the way you're going about it and I would say, yes, 400 watts and a windgen would be good. Do yourself a favor...get a quiet one. My air-x I had on my Ingrid 38 turned me off WG's forever. Sounded like the boat had a ghost onboard. boooooo,ooooo,oooo. Also, I find as a loose rule of thumb, your watts in roughly equal batteries in amps. Eg: I have 300 watts of solar and 330 amps of house batteries, plus a #24 starting battery.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 05-11-2013, 11:41   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvick76 View Post

Thank You,

Vick
You can run everything on your list with just the 400 watts of solar panels.

Scrap the wind generator, unless you like a spinning winning noise vibrating through your boat and like to do extra maintenance.

I have 460 watts of panels and have run everything on your list with power to spare
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
You can run everything on your list with just the 400 watts of solar panels.

Scrap the wind generator, unless you like a spinning winning noise vibrating through your boat and like to do extra maintenance.

I have 460 watts of panels and have run everything on your list with power to spare
Well, he did not say autopilot but I would imagine he'll have one. I use mine mostly at night and watch the power go down...down...down.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well, he did not say autopilot but I would imagine he'll have one. I use mine mostly at night and watch the power go down...down...down.
Yes, I will be using autopilot, however, I would prob have less other equipment running when in use. In addition, I may also be running engines during these times which would charge the batts. Thanks for the insight on the wind generator. In my research I have found they are basically a supplement to other power sources. I had not realized, however, that they created so much noise. I assumed they ran fairly silent. Is it not possible to easily run them sporadically as needed (at night when running auto pilot?)
Old 05-11-2013, 12:15   #10

Community Sponsor

This lady absolutely loves a wind generator. Only problem is that you can barely hear her talk about it.
Just a must see video.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1304237
Old 05-11-2013, 13:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
This lady absolutely loves a wind generator. Only problem is that you can barely hear her talk about it.
Just a must see video.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1304237
Thanx for posting that. That was exactly my point earlier with my Air-X being too loud. You could stand 50 ft. away from it, close your eyes and you would think it's 5 ft. away from you. In the boat was a pain. I installed a switch to stop it's rotating.
Old 05-11-2013, 13:14   #12

Ouch. That would not last 5 minutes on my boat. I would rather listen to a generator.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 13:20   #13

Boat: 45ft Ketch

If I upgrade I'm thinking of putting the money into LiFePO4 batteries instead of wind generator. Can run same AH batteries 2 or 3 times longer without sun.
At this stage it seems changing to LifePO4 only economic if you save yourself a wind gen.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 13:30   #14

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
If I upgrade I'm thinking of putting the money into LiFePO4 batteries instead of wind generator. Can run same AH batteries 2 or 3 times longer without sun.
At this stage it seems changing to LifePO4 only economic if you save yourself a wind gen.
Changing to LifePO4 batteries in the end will save you money as they last much much longer.
LifePO4 batteries will save you space as a 400 Ah bank = 800 Ah lead acid bank.
LifePO4 batteries are much lighter, so will save you a lot of weight.
LifePO4 batteries are silent, not like that wind generator.
Old 05-11-2013, 14:19   #15

A few guys in Ensenada here have windgens. Ones a Rurland 913 and the other a KISS. Both seem to be dead silent. In another thread someone bought a chinese windgen from ebay and immediately broke down as I remember, so you definitely do not want to go that route.

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels