Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2023, 11:09   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Jack Stand Damage 2006 440

Hello,
long story but yard put my 440 on a set of 4 jack stands to temporarily stabilize my 2006 440 (I wasn't on island yet). I noticed a dimple over the rear stands just forward of rudder post where it was placed. When they moved it I also noticed that on port it left a crack perfectly inline with (what looks like a mold line) hull and keels. I of course looked through the bilge hatches to see if it was all the way through and it is not thankfully.
I am not sure how thick the hulls are but seems pretty thin or maybe it's part of the keel joint which I believe is meant to peel away in the event of a hard grounding.
At any rate, can this be just patched or is this a major deal like days of grinding and patching?
They also pressure washed about two coats of bottom paint and are doing right and re-painting but this needs to be at least epoxied prior to that
Thoughts from the masters of all things Lagoon???
Thanks for this amazing community
J-
sailmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Jack Stand Damage 2006 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmontana View Post
Hello,
long story but yard put my 440 on a set of 4 jack stands to temporarily stabilize my 2006 440 (I wasn't on island yet). I noticed a dimple over the rear stands just forward of rudder post where it was placed. When they moved it I also noticed that on port it left a crack perfectly inline with (what looks like a mold line) hull and keels. I of course looked through the bilge hatches to see if it was all the way through and it is not thankfully.
I am not sure how thick the hulls are but seems pretty thin or maybe it's part of the keel joint which I believe is meant to peel away in the event of a hard grounding.
At any rate, can this be just patched or is this a major deal like days of grinding and patching?
They also pressure washed about two coats of bottom paint and are doing right and re-painting but this needs to be at least epoxied prior to that
Thoughts from the masters of all things Lagoon???
Thanks for this amazing community
J-
Photos might garner some responses. How close to the drive leg cover plate is the damage ?
Old 05-12-2023, 13:31   #3

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	hull3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	284100[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hull1.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	284098   Click image for larger version

Name:	hull2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	284099  

Old 05-12-2023, 13:32   #4

not too easy to attach photos!
Old 05-12-2023, 14:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

How close to the drive leg cover plate is the damage ?

Click on the paperclip icon
choose photos
click upload
done.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:58   #6

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

If that is "right down the middle" then there is a factory reason why that happens. The hull on the outside is not a single piece of glass all the way around. So there is a seam of sorts for the first layers at the middle making the seam. Then on the inside the glass bridges that seam in multiple increasing layers. Very strong, solid FRP and about 14mm thick in front of the keel. Not sure about that spot but it is likely just as thick and strong. But what happens is there is pure resin in the seam right down the middle which can fracture instead of flex and then leave an open "crack". However, yours almost looks more jagged and perhaps a secondary repair that has delaminated along that seam? Regardless, it shouldn't be days and days. It should be a pretty fast grind removing glass until there is nothing delaminated and tapering your grind. Then apply your 2 or 3 layers of fiberglass or whatever is needed to bring it back up to level and sand, fair, barrier coat and bottom paint. With the right weather conditions and materials on hand a 2 day job I would think unless it's more damaged underneath that it appears. Either way, the process is the same.

I had some major repair work to do on our hull and it was very intimidating, but in the end it was actually pretty simple and straight forward. As with most projects though, don't underestimate the value of the right tools and materials for the job!
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote