Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 05:48   #1

Boatyard storage shoring jack stand error

Hi all - my first post on CF so I'm hoping I picked the right spot to enquire

I recently looked at a boat that ticked many boxes for my first foray into live aboard cruising - many things seemed perfect (tempts fate wildly and will refer to full survey if it reaches that stage)

One sore point stuck out though
The boat is "up on the hard" in a storage yard currently
Attached is a photo of some of the support approach
It has been that way since March of this year if the background history of current ownership is all true
Whilst touring the boat, the cabin sole boards fore of the keel were rising up slightly, and the fore cabin door wouldn't shut. The guy showing me the boat mentioned that this was likely due to too much pressure on the keel by the boatyard guys doing a bad job of getting the balance of supports wrong

If the jack stands have subsided slightly and left the boat resting hard on its keel - does this ring any *major* alarms with anyone here who is knowledgeable about hull structures and integrity?

When it was discussed, he phone called in that "it needs to be reblocked as there's too much pressure on the keel" from the boat as soon as he'd explained it to me

I was told "this will all fall back into shape when in the water" and that it wasn't anything to be too concerned about

Panic/not panic - what's the best and worse that could happen?
8 jack stands over 40 foot seems minimally appropriate from whatever read

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481377416.639319.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	137794
WoodFamSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:48   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Boatyard storage shoring jack stand error

The number of jack stands sounds fine to me, and most boats change shape out of the water......but the leading edge of that keel at the hull joint looks pulled away, like it may have hit something hard.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:09   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

All boats deform slightly, sometimes indiscernible, when stored for prolonged periods.
If there is a problem, it should be obvious such as cracks in the glass or loosened keel bolts.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:24   #4

First off, a boat blocked on land should have nearly all it's weight on the keel. Jack stands are designed to stop the boat falling over, not take the entire weight of the hull.

Secondly, lightly constructed boats often change shape slightly while ashore. It's really not that unusual to see problems with tight doors and sole panels. These issues should resolved shortly after relaunch.

Watch out for "oil canning" of the hull. This happens when a jack stand has too much weight and deforms/deflects the area of hull that is resting on it. It can also happen when the laminate is thin, or if there is bad core material present.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The number of jack stands sounds fine to me, and most boats change shape out of the water......but the leading edge of that keel at the hull joint looks pulled away, like it may have hit something hard.

I wondered that too, from the scuffs on the keel mainly. The join doesn't look naturally flush. It looks almost like it's been filled/caulked (with strong material) at the seam
I've put an enhanced picture attached, and coupled that with some shots of the keel bolts. I couldn't see any internal stress fractures or cracks (like I had pointed out to me on other boats that may have ran aground in their life)

Let me know if you think there's anything fishy about this combination of appearances. Could it have been repaired this cleanly to mask/rectify a previous collision?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481383819.637433.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	137808Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481383830.848886.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	137809Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481383841.134375.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	137810Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481383854.217590.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	137811Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481383863.702495.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	137812
Old 10-12-2016, 07:42   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I'm with Sailmonkey regarding the number of supports and the shape.

I'm impressed with Sailmonkey's spotting the deformity at the front edge of the keel. 'good eye!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:23   #7

In theory the keel should be supporting the boat and the jackstands just keeping it level and from falling over. Of course a lightweight boat may distort from sitting on the hard. Also, I found that doors etc tend to not fit when the boat is stored for the winter in the cold.... or possibly if it is shipped to a humid warm climate from a northern location also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:34   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

I haul my boat every year, so have a fair bit of experience with being on the hard. As others have said, weight should be on the keel, NOT on the stands. They are there mainly for balance. Eight stands should be more than enough, as long as they are placed properly.

Some shifting of internal structures, especially of lighter built boats, is common. Doors not closing, cabinet slides slightly out of sync … all pretty common. They should settle back into position once the boat is in the water, unless there is a permanent deformation.

I too would look very closely at that keel. It looks suspiciously like there’s been an impact there at the leading edge, but hard to say from 2D pics. The joint looks like it’s been recently worked on. An impact is not necessarily a show stopper, but a hard hit could have cantilevered the keel such that there could be internal damage to stringers or other structural supports inside the boat. At very least you want full disclosure from the seller.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:38   #9

Thanks for all of your replies! This is an amazing forum - in less than 5 hours, being able to receive opinions and observations on something I'm very unfamiliar with, I've gone from uncertain/mystified to comfortable with two separate things to consider
Much appreciated - all the best to you all!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:54   #10

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

A keel impact low on the leading edge will push the trailing edge up. If , and this is an if , there has been a hard hit look at the transverse stringers above the trailing edge. They may show damage from being pushed up.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:13   #11

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I would not buy this boat
The keel profile is such you will get every rope in the water caught up
The keel is also too short if you plan on going anywhere a little remote, they are difficult to haul without a travel lift. There may well have been a hard grounding, but there is corrosion round the head of the keel bolts, and the backing plates for the bolts are much too small
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:24   #12

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter loveridge View Post
I would not buy this boat
The keel profile is such you will get every rope in the water caught up
The keel is also too short if you plan on going anywhere a little remote, they are difficult to haul without a travel lift. There may well have been a hard grounding, but there is corrosion round the head of the keel bolts, and the backing plates for the bolts are much too small
Looks like a pretty standard Beneteau keel to me. Not sure where the ropes would get caught?? Keel is too short? Again its pretty standard. Not a great shape for drying out on a tidal grid but doable. Personally I prefer long keels for that but haven't lived anywhere where that's an option.

Most boats change shape out of the water even heavily built ones.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:26   #13

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

In the yard i work out of, i see MANY fibreglass boats [sail] with what we call the SMILE at the fwd. end of the keel, so unless there is some other damage i would not worry about it, just fill the void, about the jack stands, with lightly built boats, it helps to position the stands under the bulkheads, along with the other positions and as others have said don't put to much pressure on the hull, of coarse the stands should be chained together.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:44   #14

You don't say what make the boat is... it's entirely possible that the keel casting has been an ill fit since manufactured, and they have tried to keep the gap filled various ways over the years. If that's not a popular well known make of boat I would walk away.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:59   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
First off, a boat blocked on land should have nearly all it's weight on the keel. Jack stands are designed to stop the boat falling over, not take the entire weight of the hull.

Secondly, lightly constructed boats often change shape slightly while ashore. It's really not that unusual to see problems with tight doors and sole panels. These issues should resolved shortly after relaunch.

Watch out for "oil canning" of the hull. This happens when a jack stand has too much weight and deforms/deflects the area of hull that is resting on it. It can also happen when the laminate is thin, or if there is bad core material present.

^^^ All correct. Unfortunately, that means the answer you seek is conditional on data you can't easily provide. A cursory look at the photos you've made does not suggest the jackstands are improperly deployed, but there are issues related to how the boards may be laid out and the condition of the substrate...is it well-drained, is it packed enough to support the weights? to be considered. Another element of this, of course, is that a boat's shape will also alter slightly when the rig is in and the stays are cranked to their proper tension. I sailed with a fellow who could judge his rig tension by how well a cabin door was closing. Said it was better than a Loos Gauge.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage