Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 11:55   #1

Boat: Hunter 27
I Am Heading To The Bahamas

Hello
I am trailer my Cal 20 down to Florida then crossing to the Bahamas. I am thinking West End to Abaco back. I am flexible on time. The boat is solid and well equipped but small.

I have sailed up here but this will be my first trip to sea.

Thanks

Tony
I can also be reached at my user name at gmail.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:36   #2

Boat: 48' steel cutter
Re: I Am Heading To The Bahamas

Go for it! Just wait for an easy weather window. I would start south of Lake Worth just for "insurance." You can put out via many smaller inlets, not just the usual Lake Worth or Port Everglades. One of the smaller Broward County inlets that has a fairly secure place to park nearby. Lighthouse Point, maybe. Then an easy slant to West End. You don't want to try a "straight across" course, in case the Gulf Stream is kicking your ass. That is my dos centavos, but "Salud!" I will be following behind you shortly, see you over there!
Old 03-02-2014, 13:13   #3

The hard part will be where I can store my van and trailer. I was looking at Key Biscayne. The have moorings for $21.00 a day and can store my vehicle for $240.00 a month. I am not sure to start at Bimini and go south or head to West End then to Abaco. I am more concerned sailing the Bahamas than crossing the stream. No reefs in the stream. The owner of my marina took a 24 crescent over there and hit a reef coming in to port at night and sunk it. They salvaged it repaired the boat and finished their vacation minus clothes and food. A true adventure.
Old 03-02-2014, 14:12   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Do u have an auto pilot? Do u have a gps? Do u have a current east coast chart book? Do u have a current cruising guide to the Bahamas? Do u have a Radio Direction Finder? If yes to the above wait weather leave Lake Worth Inlet head to west end . Probably a 14 hr crossing in your boat .Leave around 1800 hours and do a night crossing you won't have to make land fall at night. Crossing the Little Bahama Bank is a no brainer . Leave West End go to Mangrove anchor then on to Great Sail anchor then to Copperstown for Cold Beer cross over to Powell Key and anchor. You will have 2 anchorages crossing the bank to wait weather if it gets nasty. I don't think a drunk sailor could hit a reef going that route. What engine do u have ? You will need fuel for at least 200 mile range as the wind most likely will be on the bow. There are storage facilities around Ft pierce and Stuart Fl about 35 miles N of Lake Worth.Safe Journey.
Old 03-02-2014, 20:49   #5

I am looking at a Garmin 741 XS. I have a Raymarine ST 1000 tiller pilot ( Have not used it yet.) I am a HAM so I have a Standard Horizon GX1200 VHF and a kenwood 2meter 440. A small Zodiac.
I can make 5 1/2 knots under motor at 3/4 throttle and under sail she is sluggish in light winds but around 10 to 15 I can hold my own with the bigger boats, she is stiff and points well. The one thing is you do not keep your feet dry.
Engine is a 2 stroke 5 HP mercury(with 50 hours) in a cockpit well and a Nissan 5 hp four stroke on an outboard mount on the stern. 18 gallons of fuel. I need to figure out the water and propane amounts. I have propane stove and shower, solar panels and 900 watt generator. I am trying to decide if I should rent an EPIRB or buy one. I need to get charts and a copy of Steve Dodges guide. Lifelines, tether ,vest
Boat US will cry if this one sinks the equipment is worth 5 times the boat.
It sounds like over kill but it is like a gun, you buy them but pray you never need them but if you do you will not regret spending the money. I figure most of this will transfer to any boat. If I missed anything please let me know. The one thing money can't buy is experience.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:32   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I believe you will need more fuel, as for propane a 20lb tank with 2 on board will last 6 to 8 weeks. Water can be had throughout the Abacos ,What is the output of the altenator on your out board? Auto pilots are large consumers of power. Get an EPRIB. 73 or 74 too old now to remember the year myself and a friend sailed a 19 ft Venture from St Lucie Inlet to W E 26 hrs. Only had 6 gallons of fuel and knew nothing over on a Fri and back on Sun. RDF got us there.No gps auto pilot Too Much Beer.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:28   #7

Boat: 48' steel cutter

I second the "more fuel" notion. Put it in racks as moveable ballast. Ditto your extra 5g water jugs. The racks don't have to be fancy, they just have to be lashed well to the gunnels. Shift ballast before long tacks. This will greatly improve your sailing performance to windward.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:31   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Unless things have changes little outboards just trickle charge a battery is all, there output is so low, you just can't count on it for much of anythig
Old 04-02-2014, 06:38   #9

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Campuscab....you have received some good advice and you do have some sound plans. You said "solar panels", watts ??

You will do well......enjoy your journey..

Life is Good

S/V Water Wings
Old 04-02-2014, 06:48   #10

45 watt harbor freight panels. nothing fancy, I just needed something basic because the outboard does not have an alt. I figured for the money it was better to go solar than add the charging circuit. The trick now will be fitting this on a 20 foot boat. I am trying to build an arch to mount the panels and hold the dinghy now but I am scavenging stainless tubes off of other junk boats. I am going to look like the Beverly Hillbilllies pulling up in Florida but it should be fun. For what I am spending I could have chartered a boat but there is no adventure in that.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:58   #11

You're in the crew wanted section, but you don't mention looking for crew. What say you?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50   #12

Sorry
I got sidetracked talking about the boat. I am looking for crew. The boat has a V berth and two side bunks. It is tight but can sleep two or three. I do not want to single hand it. I am open on experience but any would help. I am flexible on schedule but I need a couple of weeks to finish outfiting the boat. Sailing is always more fun with people.
Old 04-02-2014, 13:30   #13

Boat: Tartan 30

Tony, I'm also scheming a trip south to Fla, and across the stream. Probably be 1st or 2nd week of March for me. I'll be watching your progress and preparations. Do you have a general target window for your crossing and return?
Old 04-02-2014, 15:16   #14

I was thinking around the same time frame. Once I have the boat ready I will keep watching the weather forecast and wait till it looks promising. Once I get there I will get the boat in the water and get everything working. I am open on time so weather will be the biggest factor.
Old 16-02-2014, 16:08   #15

Hey I sent you an email if you are still looking for someone?

Tags
Bahamas, head