Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2014, 16:28   #16

Re: I Am Heading To The Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
The hard part will be where I can store my van and trailer. I was looking at Key Biscayne. The have moorings for $21.00 a day and can store my vehicle for $240.00 a month. I am not sure to start at Bimini and go south or head to West End then to Abaco. I am more concerned sailing the Bahamas than crossing the stream. No reefs in the stream. The owner of my marina took a 24 crescent over there and hit a reef coming in to port at night and sunk it. They salvaged it repaired the boat and finished their vacation minus clothes and food. A true adventure.
The reefs are easy to see. You learn to read the water color quickly. Moral to your story? dont sail at night! With that little boat you can tuck in almost anywhere so no big need to sail at night.
The gulf stream i sthe potential challenge. Wait for the wind to go south of NE and go.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:12   #17

Re: I Am Heading To The Bahamas

When are you leaving, I would be interested in going, I have limited experienced as I am landlocked in Ia. I sail a mac 26x. I do not have any navigation experience, but have lots of sailing experience on boats upto 30' on freshwater lakes.

Capinmike

Tags
Bahamas, head