Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2020, 19:54   #1

Boat: between boats
Re: Why is our bow much deeper in the water than stern?

I have noticed this bows down aspect on the shorter FPs for awhile now. Particularly the lipari and lucia. On some it's so bad the sterns underside float clear of the water.

Always ask owners and so far no one has had an answer what's going on.

It's bugged me so much the last time I was on one we set a can on its side in the saloon and it did indeed roll slowly forwards. I look forward to the OP putting a spirit level on his.

The issue seems to be worse when fully loaded for cruising so I reckon payload is part of it particularly those well forward water tanks.

I think the new "40" has different tankage location?

The odd thing though is even a big heavy tender and outboard isn't enough to make much of a dent to attitude on the ones I've seen.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 20:38   #2

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
I have noticed this bows down aspect on the shorter FPs for awhile now. Particularly the lipari and lucia. On some it's so bad the sterns underside float clear of the water.

Always ask owners and so far no one has had an answer what's going on.

It's bugged me so much the last time I was on one we set a can on its side in the saloon and it did indeed roll slowly forwards. I look forward to the OP putting a spirit level on his.

The issue seems to be worse when fully loaded for cruising so I reckon payload is part of it particularly those well forward water tanks.

I think the new "40" has different tankage location?

The odd thing though is even a big heavy tender and outboard isn't enough to make much of a dent to attitude on the ones I've seen.
There has been discussion about Oranas, and I think first gen Helias, having soles that slope aft, even while the bows seem to be lower in the water. And yes, when I winch my ~250 pound of dinghy up on the davits it doesn't appear to change the balance of the boat all that much. The biggest difference I've seen is empty water tanks. We have one 70 gallon tank in each hull just forward of the mast. So that's half a ton forward of center.

I've thought pretty seriously about figuring out how to store another 50 gallons of water in each hull fairly far aft. I'd want to consult someone with more hull knowledge before doing that, though, as it'd be adding quite a lot of weight where it wasn't originally designed to be. Don't want to go cracking joints in the fiberglass.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 14:11   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Easy fix. Use:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BT.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	225646  
Old 21-10-2020, 16:34   #4

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Easy fix. Use:
haha that just covers it up not fix it

Its more than aesthetics if its showing these designs are unbalanced when loaded. Under sail they may in fact be burying bows even deeper than at rest due to sails center of effort usually forward too.

Not to an unsafe level but probably to the detriment of boatspeed and hydrodynamics.

The new Isla has apparently fixed it by moving tankage more centrally but ill believe it when i see one in the flesh I reckon after 2 designs back to back having this issue already.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 07:43   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

The bows are skinnier than the center and stern of the boat, so they have less buoyancy. If there is too much weight on the boat, then the bows will sink first. If you remove the extra weight (from anywhere in the boat), the bows should lift out. After 15 years of cruising, we noticed the bows on our boat were starting to dip, so we went though the boat room by room and ruthlessly removed all that extra stuff that just seems to slowly accumulate, and now we're back to floating on our lines.
Old 23-10-2020, 08:39   #6

Boat: Omega 36

"The waterline" is to control a load of your boat only. If you had a party on your boat, your stern would be dipper than the bow. If you overloaded the boat, you will not see the waterline. So relax.
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 09:00   #7

Do you know if it is level when sailing?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 10:48   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Your boat is in a dangerous trim condition, but I have a solution to your problem. Sign it over to me for proper and safe disposal. No need to deliver, I will come get it. If you can have fuel, water, spares, provisions, etc topped up, I would appreciate it.
Old 23-10-2020, 17:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomel View Post
On our FP Lipari the waterline is at the stern much higher

3) The antifouling waterline was not correct projected. But this matches with the decorative stripes originally from FP.

Do you have any ideas what causes this behaviour?
Does anyone else has the same on his boat?
Thank you.
My boat's antifouling line was not correct from factory to the point that when I redid the line, I found out that there was no gelcoat under the anti-fouling. After the realigned line, I did a boot stripe and I redid the gelcoat where it was missing and polished it to match the boat. This really changed the behavior of the mind into thinking the boat had a wrong behavior.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water