Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2022, 15:38   #2026

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Weather Routing

Well, that's very interesting, your screen shows a date!
I had thought that the date was removed, but what actually happened is I moved to a much higher resolution computer recently because my 11 yr old laptop started failing, and the date is hidden the way the screen compresses things, and bdbcat made some commits and then Sean made some other commits I did not know about.

Now the question I have at this point, is do Sean's last commits work with MacOS?
Once I know the answer to that, I can make those changes. If anyone can advise, I would appreciate it.

Sorry, now I hope I can fix this.
It also looks like I've got to do some wxFormbuilder changes too.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:54   #2027

Re: Weather Routing/openCPN mounted on a USB drive

I have been experimenting with WR with good results. In the learning phase I have struggled with polar files. At this point I am cleaning and upgrading to the latest version. I want to experiment with polar files with a more broad range of wind speeds using the crossover feature. My Windows PC is extremely compact in terms of bootable memory, so I am running OpenCPN on a Large USB/SD drive. The OpenCPN Manual is specific about the installation of User files like Configuration and Polars on Main Path for support files:

C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing

Can anyone tell me if installation of "User files" on a alternative "Main Path for support files like this will cause a problem?"

"X:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routin g"

I would like to use the USB drive like a Portable OpenCPN version but I am not currently computer savvy enough to work my way through the directions right now...(P.S. I have had a stroke and my grey matter is kind of leaky on managing troubleshooting details.)

I am trying to get my installation as close to spec as possible with out using the C:\ drive!

Chuck Wargo (aka BILLY_BUDD
BILLY_BUDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:14   #2028

Billy Budd. Why don't you just try it? It might work, but the path to programdata might be hardwired by Opencpn.

I would be interested in the result.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:59   #2029

Just got OpenCPN and Weather_routing set up, and have been loving it! Thanks to all who put in the work to make this tool! I looked around and in the manual, and haven't been able to find a way to toggle motoring for wind <x kts. Is that feature available? If not, I am sure I can get the same effect by setting custom polars. If that's the recommended solution, is there a way to tell how much time is spent "motoring" vs sailing?

Thanks!!
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:56   #2030

feature request for WR pi:
1) enable position input via curser on map canvas
2) display positions in standard coordinate notation dd mm.mm N dd mm.mm W
3) enable editing of position e.g. doubleclick on position field to invite editing

Thanks for considering.
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 15:24   #2031

Satchel,

The way this is done is to make a polar chart for motoring, and include that in your Boats.xml list of polar charts (different polars for different sail sets dependent on the wind/sea state, and for a motoring polar). WR will then select which polar is most effective to use depending on the various constraints you set.

Please see our manual and try using the example polars, including the power polar. You will see points in the routing where power can be used. Please note that many would much prefer that you sail instead and be kinder to your planet and carbon neutral.

https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...0.1/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
Just got OpenCPN and Weather_routing set up, and have been loving it! Thanks to all who put in the work to make this tool! I looked around and in the manual, and haven't been able to find a way to toggle motoring for wind <x kts. Is that feature available? If not, I am sure I can get the same effect by setting custom polars. If that's the recommended solution, is there a way to tell how much time is spent "motoring" vs sailing?

Thanks!!
Old 11-02-2022, 15:30   #2032

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperearly View Post
feature request for WR pi:
Comments inline.

- Right click on the position and create a Weather Position and name it?

- Yes this could be done, possibly as an option.

3) enable editing of position e.g. doubleclick on position field to invite editing
- Not quite sure how the best way to do this is.

Skipperearly, I think you could enter this into tracker under weatherrouting with more specific detail of what you have in mind, it would be good.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2022, 23:37   #2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Comments inline.

Skipperearly, I think you could enter this into tracker under weatherrouting with more specific detail of what you have in mind, it would be good.

Thanks.
Have added them as 3 different requests in https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...ist&project=32

Please vote for them to raise attention.
Old 12-02-2022, 00:57   #2034

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Comments inline.

Doesnt it already and always have this?
Quote:
This is very simple to implement
Quote:
Generally, you just make a new position with the same name, and it will replace the old one.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:57   #2035

Thanks, found the section in the manual! Agreed, sailing more is the end goal, I am actually trying to use the routing to show how conventional motor vessels can use sails to reduce the amount of engine power they use. Maybe a feature in the report tool like % upwind to say what percent of the route was done on each polar?

Quote:
Satchel,

The way this is done is to make a polar chart for motoring, and include that in your Boats.xml list of polar charts (different polars for different sail sets dependent on the wind/sea state, and for a motoring polar). WR will then select which polar is most effective to use depending on the various constraints you set.

Please see our manual and try using the example polars, including the power polar. You will see points in the routing where power can be used. Please note that many would much prefer that you sail instead and be kinder to your planet and carbon neutral.

satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:06   #2036

Boat: Lagoon 500

I want to use a CFS Grib file to plan a preliminary weather route from French Polynesia to Australia, but the Grib PI will not show the wind data at 1,000mb, which is what CFS is based upon. See the attached CFS file (you will need to change the file extension from .pdf to .grb2 in order to read it).

Is there a way to get the Grib PI to read the wind data at 1,000mb instead of at 10m?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CFS.20220212.00.pdf (1.30 MB, 63 views)
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 14:25   #2037

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
Thanks, found the section in the manual! Agreed, sailing more is the end goal, I am actually trying to use the routing to show how conventional motor vessels can use sails to reduce the amount of engine power they use. Maybe a feature in the report tool like % upwind to say what percent of the route was done on each polar?

https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma..._xml_menu_edit

That information about % is in the reports, suggest you read manual and give the reports a try.
Old 12-02-2022, 14:26   #2038

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
I want to use a CFS Grib file to plan a preliminary weather route from French Polynesia to Australia, but the Grib PI will not show the wind data at 1,000mb, which is what CFS is based upon. See the attached CFS file (you will need to change the file extension from .pdf to .grb2 in order to read it).

Is there a way to get the Grib PI to read the wind data at 1,000mb instead of at 10m?

I think you mean GFS Grib. I suggest you just use what is available.
Old 12-02-2022, 14:40   #2039

Sean, Yes, this would be great to implement, but let me update the plugin and get it current first, and I will make a PR to you.

Right click on the position and create a Weather Position and name it?
Doesnt it already and always have this? -Yes, I forgot.

display positions in standard coordinate notation dd mm.mm N dd mm.mm

enable editing of position e.g. doubleclick on position field to invite editing
Generally, you just make a new position with the same name, and it will replace the old one.
- I did not know that.
Old 12-02-2022, 23:23   #2040

Quote:
Comments inline.

Doesnt it already and always have this?
Well, I can move the boat there and then drop the boat position but just simply open the dialog for new position and then point on the canvas on a location does not enter the lat/lon in the dialog or generate the location in the main WR dialog. Am I missing something there?

Quote:
THANKS - this would be great!

Quote:
3) enable editing of position e.g. double-click on position field to invite editing

I found this behavior out by accident but it still requires to input all numbers for lat/lon again rather than just correct a typo (like correcting the +- in the current notation format). Suggestion: just double click in the position in the main WR dialog and get the New Position dialog already filled with the current data ready for editing.

Thanks for considering!

Tags
paracelle, weather