Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 01:56   #1

Route Properties ETA Present Time and Speed

Dear experts,

I have two problems with the settings of route properties when I generate a route from a Weather Routing track.

1. Leg speeds are not being transferred

The individual speeds of the legs are not transferred to the route. According to the OpenCPN manual, the speed between two waypoints can only be defined manually by making an entry in the waypoint descriptions, which I find much too complicated.

2. Departure time

According to the OpenCPN manual you can set the departure time to "present time" by entering ">" in the "Departure" field. But I can't do so (version 5.2.4 Mac OSX), because I can't enter any text in this field.

Thanks for explaining/helping me out :-)
tintifugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 14:14   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Route Properties ETA Present Time and Speed

Tinitifugs
First Thank you. We are pretty busy right now, behind the scene, but we need check this out. Please file a report in tracker or github issues under weather routing pi. Thanks
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 19:43   #3

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

I just did a quick test of this with the Beta version of WeatherRouting WR v1.13.20.4.

I had a previous routing based on Climatology and just used that, computing the route again. Then I clicked the Export button, it exported the weather route to a TRACK FILE (not directly to a route). That track file did have individual speeds for each segment.

Then I opened the track file properties and noticed there is a "To Route" button. Clicking that created a Route. That route indeed does not include the individual leg speeds, but whatever default route speed that I have set for routes.

Though it looks like it might be possible to edit individual legs and change the speed in the route box, you cannot--whether it is a route from a Weather Route/Track that has been exported, or a new route I create the normal way.

I don't use that feature of routes, so I don't know if this used to be a feature that went away with the more elaborate route information that I just noticed.

I like that the time of day, waypoint description, and tide info is included in the route info when you display the route details. It WOULD be useful to be able to adjust the leg speeds manually.

Sherry
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 19:53   #4

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

Re: Departure Time

As far as setting Departure Time, in my Windows version 5.2.4, when you open a route properties window (double clicking on the route displayed on the chart), the Departure time is automatically set to the current time on the computer, EVEN IF THE ROUTE IS ALREADY ACTIVE. (this might not be the right thing...)

If you change the Departure date/time, by even a second, then it remembers that date/time, and does not re-set it to the current time each time you open the route properties.

Hope this helps.

Sherry
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 21:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyPaws View Post
I just did a quick test of this with the Beta version of WeatherRouting WR v1.13.20.4.

I had a previous routing based on Climatology and just used that, computing the route again. Then I clicked the Export button, it exported the weather route to a TRACK FILE (not directly to a route). That track file did have individual speeds for each segment.

Then I opened the track file properties and noticed there is a "To Route" button. Clicking that created a Route. That route indeed does not include the individual leg speeds, but whatever default route speed that I have set for routes.

Though it looks like it might be possible to edit individual legs and change the speed in the route box, you cannot--whether it is a route from a Weather Route/Track that has been exported, or a new route I create the normal way.

I don't use that feature of routes, so I don't know if this used to be a feature that went away with the more elaborate route information that I just noticed.

I like that the time of day, waypoint description, and tide info is included in the route info when you display the route details. It WOULD be useful to be able to adjust the leg speeds manually.

Sherry

Sherry this is working as it has for quite awhile. It would be worthwhile to consider how to make the route feature more useful now that it supports legs with individual speed. Should the export average the speed between time intervals or something and use that?

How would that work? I havent thought about it much at this point.
Old 16-09-2021, 21:08   #6

Quote:
Re: Departure Time

As far as setting Departure Time, in my Windows version 5.2.4, when you open a route properties window (double clicking on the route displayed on the chart), the Departure time is automatically set to the current time on the computer, EVEN IF THE ROUTE IS ALREADY ACTIVE. (this might not be the right thing...)

If you change the Departure date/time, by even a second, then it remembers that date/time, and does not re-set it to the current time each time you open the route properties.

Hope this helps.

Sherry

Sherry thanks for testing and taking the time to write it all down. It confirms things. Yes this is the way I recall depart time working previously.
Old 16-09-2021, 21:10   #7

I believe this is about weather_routing and that thread is here

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-100060.html
Old 17-09-2021, 01:46   #8

Quote:

Sherry

It is possible to edit the individual speed of each leg by entering “ VMG=9.7” (example) into Waypoint Properties > Description tab.

Also described here: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...e_mark_manager

But if you have many wayoints on your route this is quite a lot of work ;-) If would be great if the speeds would be taken from the track automatically.

This feature would help to check if your are on the planned schedule while you're sailing.
tintifugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope, route