Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 17:04   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Raspberry PI - Installing OpenCPN Version 5

I'm trying to install OCPN v4.99 on a raspberry pi, but am having problems. Is there a repository which already has it complied?

I have tried with both stretch and Jessie, but the repositories don't seem to be compatible. Neither ppapencpn/opencpn or ppa:bdbcat/opencpn

Am I doing something wrong?
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 17:16   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Re: Raspberry PI - Installing OpenCPN Version 5

Here is what I see:

My sources:
Code:
deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ stretch main contrib non-free rpi
# Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source'
#deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ stretch main contrib non-free rpi

deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu/ xenial main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bdbcat/opencpn/ubuntu/ xenial main

And apt-get update:
Code:
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu xenial InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 67E4A52AC865EB40
W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu xenial InRelease' is not signed.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net/bdbcat/opencpn/ubuntu xenial InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 284976FD7425C74D
W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/bdbcat/opencpn/ubuntu xenial InRelease' is not signed.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 17:45   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
Here is what I see:

My sources:
Code:
deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ stretch main contrib non-free rpi
# Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source'
#deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ stretch main contrib non-free rpi

deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu/ xenial main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bdbcat/opencpn/ubuntu/ xenial main

And apt-get update:
Code:
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu xenial InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 67E4A52AC865EB40
W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu xenial InRelease' is not signed.
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net/bdbcat/opencpn/ubuntu xenial InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 284976FD7425C74D
W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/bdbcat/opencpn/ubuntu xenial InRelease' is not signed.
Geoff...

You have manually edited the sources.list as it seems, but you did not import the keys for the repositories.
Probably the easiest is to undo what you did and follow the instructions from the manual. Which means
Code:
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common #You may already have it installed
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:opencpn/opencpn
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bdbcat/opencpn
Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 18:10   #4

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Not to derail this thread but what can you do with a raspberry pi, running OpenCPN? Just curious. I'm new to all of this. But I've played a bit with arduino. Just curious what can you do with it?
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 18:36   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

We run OpenCPN on a PI as our primary navigation system. The PI receives position and instrument data via NMEA. We plot routes and waypoints in OpenCPN and NMEA output sends these to the autopilot. The AP/Intstruments in the cockpit then can display SOG/COG/BTW/DTW/XTE etc.

So, in short, it is the heart of our entire navigation system. We use it for pilotage, route planning, weather reviews (by loading gribs), and all the other things that are needed to get from Pt A to Pt B.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 18:54   #6

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
We run OpenCPN on a PI as our primary navigation system. The PI receives position and instrument data via NMEA. We plot routes and waypoints in OpenCPN and NMEA output sends these to the autopilot. The AP/Intstruments in the cockpit then can display SOG/COG/BTW/DTW/XTE etc.

So, in short, it is the heart of our entire navigation system. We use it for pilotage, route planning, weather reviews (by loading gribs), and all the other things that are needed to get from Pt A to Pt B.
I would be very interested in hearing exactly what your configuration is.
I am also using a Rpi for navigation, but find that after a day or so the system usually becomes unresponsive and needs to be re-booted.
I'd be interested to know:

What distribution did you start with ? Updated ?
Are you running from an SD card or USB ?
Your screen resolution ?
Type of charts ?
Are you using OpenGL ?
Recording a track ?
Is the Rpi displaying AIS information ?

Anything else you can think of.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 19:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post

WOW! That's impressive! I only got as far as making a differential steering robot with Arduino. I know stuff like this is doable... but how much background do you have in programming? I had ZERO, and accomplished a lot, in a short time just by tinkering, and copy/pasting from open source libraries?

Are there any tutorials for this type of Nav setup, perhaps on YT?

How robust is this system, do you house it in a watertight box? or just swap out RaspPi's when if/when it fails?
Old 09-03-2019, 19:23   #8

Boat: Valiant 42

You might watch memory usage. When RPi reaches the point where it starts using swap space the responsiveness drops a lot. If you are doing things other than O that might use more RAM that the Pi has.

I use the app htop to watch memory usage and other things.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 19:23   #9

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
I'm trying to install OCPN v4.99 on a raspberry pi, but am having problems. Is there a repository which already has it complied?

I have tried with both stretch and Jessie, but the repositories don't seem to be compatible. Neither ppapencpn/opencpn or ppa:bdbcat/opencpn

Am I doing something wrong?
Running here the beta version 4.99 (beta 5) for some time.

Change in the server adres to: opencpn/opencpn to bdbcat/opencpn. Can easy be done in Synaptic.

reread
then you get an error about a missing key

copy this missing key and then:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys (paste here the missing key)

reread

surch for opencpn and install the latest version.

you can also update Raspian with:

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

there is also an upgrade possible for the latest experimental kernel 4.19.27

sudo rpi-update

then there is an error with Wifi Access point (AP) But this can also easy be corrected.

sudo systemctl enable hostapd.service (after upgrades)

Working here very well and fast with OpenGL driver on. (in sudo raspi-config)

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 20:03   #10

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
WOW! That's impressive! I only got as far as making a differential steering robot with Arduino. I know stuff like this is doable... but how much background do you have in programming? I had ZERO, and accomplished a lot, in a short time just by tinkering, and copy/pasting from open source libraries?

Are there any tutorials for this type of Nav setup, perhaps on YT?

How robust is this system, do you house it in a watertight box? or just swap out RaspPi's when if/when it fails?
You do not need to have any special background or knowledge, pretty much everything you will need comes prepackaged and preconfigured in the OpenPlotter image (Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog)

The system is as robust as any other computer, given you feed the Pi with a decent power supply. Whether you need a waterproof housing depends on how wet it is inside your boat, most people probably do not need it.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 20:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
You do not need to have any special background or knowledge, pretty much everything you will need comes prepackaged and preconfigured in the OpenPlotter image (Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog)

The system is as robust as any other computer, given you feed the Pi with a decent power supply. Whether you need a waterproof housing depends on how wet it is inside your boat, most people probably do not need it.
Thanks for the info! There's a TON of good info at the link you provided. It seems very similar to Ardupilot, an Arduino based unit for RC aircraft and Drones.

I have a lot of research to do.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2019, 00:24   #12
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

And please use a decent SD card. One of main sources of trouble (coming just after unpowered power supplies).
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I would be very interested in hearing exactly what your configuration is...
Quote:
What distribution did you start with ? Updated ?
I used the OpenPlotter distro/instructions when they first came out, then switched to the current release that includes a complete SD card image (so someone else did the heavy lifting for me). Update pretty regularly (when we have decent internet) but am not completely current. Right now on 4.8.8. That started at whatever was on the OpenPlotter 1.0.0 image and was updated from there.

Quote:
Are you running from an SD card or USB ?
32GB SD card holds the installation and all the chart files. No external storage.

Quote:
Your screen resolution ?
1920x1080.

Quote:
Type of charts ?
CM93 as the base charts. US ENC and RNC, NZ RNC for locations they cover, a smattering of others. I keep the CM93 charts loaded all the time, I add/remove some others from the catalog from time to time. I do not currently have any charts that require licensing/decryption services, so can't speak to CPU loading in that case.

Quote:
Are you using OpenGL ?
No. Have tried at various points, but prefer without.

Quote:
Recording a track ?
Yes, we record our own track at 'medium' precision with automatic daily track changes. We've sailed 12,000 miles since August 2018 and all of those tracks are currently loaded. I have found that the more track data that is in navobj the longer it takes O to load, and it starts to slow down scrolling/panning in the charts. Never even really looked but presume this is a memory issue (not CPU, I do watch that). About once a year I remove all our old tracks from the file and store them elsewhere in case I ever want them. Can see the speed increase immediately, when I notice a bit of lag in scrolling/panning I repeat.

That includes recording our track while at anchor (sometimes useful) or a dock (not so useful) because I never turn it off.

I occasionally also record tracks of other vessels - going through tricky passages, when I want to watch a crossing situation, etc. I probably have a couple of dozen of those - usually no more than a few hours long.

Quote:
Is the Rpi displaying AIS information ?
Yes, from Vesper AIS. We've had more than 100 targets in the AIS list many times. No problems. The Vesper has a built-in USB port, we have that connected to the PI and it works just fine.

Quote:
Anything else you can think of.
We use the Kplex part of OpenPlotter as well, data comes into Kplex, gets routed to O. Route information comes out of O and into Kplex. From there it gets sent to the boat over USB/serial adapter as NMEA (we do not re-transmit the AIS data, nothing else aboard to show it anyway).

We have the WiFi on the PI turned on and it is part of our onboard network. We use the SignalK server to allow us to display instrument data on pretty much any device that can access the network (now that Amazon makes a 'waterproof' Kindle the next project will be to get my hands on one and see if I can turn it into an instrument display). This means that the crappy old Android phone I keep next to my bunk as an alarm clock can also be used to display all instrument data when I'm below and someone else is on watch.

We get grib files on a laptop from either the internet or SailMail. Use SFTP (FileZilla) to drop them on the PI over the network. Use the grib plug-in to display.

I've played with but never gotten the route/voyage planning to work, it doesn't like my polars, or the grib area, or.... Never been enough of a priority to spend time working on it.

In the past we used to have a freeze/crash about once every month to six weeks. That hasn't happened in quite a while, but in part I'm pretty sure that's because I've started re-booting about every 4 weeks (so I can control when the whole thing is down rather than having it happen at an inopportune moment). A minor annoyance (I know others might disagree, but our whole 'marine instrument' package exhibits similar glitches). It happens/happened often enough that I've noticed it, but not often enough that I've done any serious digging.

In a nutshell we've had it running pretty much continuously on the PI (a 3) since December 2016 and we've found it very reliable. We have other chart display options, including O on this laptop, but pretty much never use them. We do have one paid app that allows us to look at completely updated charts when outside areas with free charts (US, NZ, a few others) and we check our older CM93 charts against those when entering tight quarters.

We also use OvitalMap to load/store satellite imagery from Google/Bing in places where charting just isn't accurate. We've used img2kap and several other options to do that in O, and they all worked fine, but quite frankly OvitalMap makes it so simple that we've moved away from approach.

We're heading out in about an hour for a week, so I won't be online for a while. Happy to respond if any questions/specific settings when we get back online.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
... How robust is this system, do you house it in a watertight box? or just swap out RaspPi's when if/when it fails?
The rest of your questions seemed to get responses above. I'm knocking on wood as I type this, we're on our original PI (in a FLIR case) sitting on the navtable. Been running since 2016.

Because we rely on it so heavily I have two spares on board, plus the other running PI (it handles all the non-navigation stuff) and I do make images of the SD card about once a month.

Again, touch wood, they've been very solid, never touched our backup hardware or images (I hate saying things like that). Of course, complacency can lead to problems, so we try to stay on top of having current backups.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:47   #15
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quick heads up might as well go in here.
The latest version of hostapd breaks the openplotter access point,
This put into terminal should stop hostapd getting updated next time you do an sudo apt-get upgrade >

sudo apt-mark hold hostapd
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn