Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2014, 00:32   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Optimized Opencpn: Testers Needed

OpenCPN was very inefficient at rendering many things, basically emulating WxWidgets on top of OpenGL instead of a native call for lots of stuff still.

I went ahead and optimized most of the slow stuff, and greatly reduced idle cpu usage while increasing the frame rate. This helps reduce power consumption as well. OpenCPN is significantly faster on my netbook now. There are actually a lot of improvements in this fork, see the git log for details. It is really only the first pass at optimization though, many things are possible in the future. It is a rather large change (4000 lines added 3000 lines deleted) so it certain to break things in minor ways, which is why I need testers on many platforms.

I think Dave may be a bit busy, so it would be helpful to get other testers to correct issues with this fork to make it easier for him to merge.

I have no display for my raspberry Pi, I would love to hear about any testers on raspberry pi, but you would almost certainly need hardware accelerated opengl to reap much benefit. Of course all platforms need testing.

fork at:
http://github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCPN
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn, enc