Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2014, 23:29   #226

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Optimized Opencpn: Testers Needed

I added support for osx to load opengl procs.. I don't know if it will compile or not.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 01:17   #227

Boat: Easton 47

Hi Sean, i switched to GCC compiler earlier today an compiled a pull i did this morning, the mouseover issue was gone (it was not happening in master 1606 btw), also compiled a lot more quietly.

just pulled an compiled your latest with osx update, a crash at 63% -

Gcc says -

[ 63%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/OpenCPN.dir/src/glChartCanvas.cpp.o
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp: In function ‘void (* systemGetProcAddress(const char*))()’:
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:918: error: ‘CFBundle’ was not declared in this scope
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:918: error: expected `;' before ‘opengl_framework’
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:920: error: ‘opengl_framework’ was not declared in this scope
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:921: error: ‘GenericFuncion’ was not declared in this scope
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:921: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘__null’
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:926: error: ‘GLFWglproc’ was not declared in this scope
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:926: error: expected `;' before ‘symbol’
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:929: error: ‘symbol’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/OpenCPN.dir/src/glChartCanvas.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/OpenCPN.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
x:build mo$

Mo
Icnoships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 03:03   #228

Boat: Wasa 410

So my first attempt at the windows version.
Question, how do I refer to the build number of the windows version? I used the compiled windows version on this link
http://opencpn.org/ocpn/downloads/be...1606_setup.exe
But I guess this version is already somewhat obsolete...

Anyway:
-Downloaded and installed it. Did not install any charts. Played around and found no bugs, everything works. Both without and with OpenGL.

-Downloaded the high resolution background map GshhsHiRes.zip and extracted.

Problem.
After starting OpenCPN and clicking once on the zoom in button, it zooms continuously a large number of steps. Impossible to zoom back out.
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 03:13   #229

Hmmm, can't repeat this. Seems it has to do with enabling smooth panning/zooming.

So: If smooth panning/zooming is enabled, it zooms in infinitely.

Edit: I can repeat this even if the \OpenCPN\gshhs directory is empty.
Old 14-04-2014, 04:18   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icnoships View Post
Hi Sean, i switched to GCC compiler earlier
Ah yes developing blind is difficult. It is only a short function fortunately, but it could improve performance quite a bit. I cannot compile or test it. I hope it's fixed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaberg View Post
Hmmm, can't repeat this. Seems it has to do with enabling smooth panning/zooming.

So: If smooth panning/zooming is enabled, it zooms in infinitely.

Edit: I can repeat this even if the \OpenCPN\gshhs directory is empty.
Good catch, I forgot about the zoom buttons. Fixed now.
Old 14-04-2014, 05:42   #231

This may be of-topic for this thread, so bare with...

To have something to play with I downloaded the RNC and ENC charts for the states of New York and New Jersey.

I have not checked if the behavior is the same for Optimized and standard OpenCPN, but if the same chart is added twice then both is seen in the chart list at the bottom of the screen.
I think this happens since some charts are included both in the NJ and NY bundle.

1. Would it be possible to check and not show duplicate charts?
2. Would it be possible to check the version number of the charts and only show the latest version?

Has this been discussed before in other threads?
Old 14-04-2014, 06:00   #232

I can't repeat this but thought I should mention it anyway...

Installed four sets of charts as mentioned above. Created two chart groups RNC and ENC placed two directories in each.

Then played around for a while, and then by right mouse clicking choose the ENC chart group.

Then OpenCPN quickly listed through the charts in the ENC group and uninstalled them. When visiting the chart group the ENC chart group was empty??

I have tried and failed to repeat this behavior.
Old 14-04-2014, 06:18   #233

Just got a crash while testing OpenGL.

Just zoomed out of New York harbour, moved the chart to just outside the charted area and zoomed in. Crash.

Did pressed send crash report, but I guess it goes to Dave R?

Where is the crash report saved?

/J
Old 14-04-2014, 07:35   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaberg View Post
Just got a crash while testing OpenGL.

Just zoomed out of New York harbour, moved the chart to just outside the charted area and zoomed in. Crash.

Did pressed send crash report, but I guess it goes to Dave R?

Where is the crash report saved?

/J
Any issues with chart groups are likely the same as the normal beta. I didn't change anything there.

If you do get optimum opencpn to crash. Please try to repeat the crash several times to ensure it is repeatable. It is best to compile opencpn from source (instructions on the main site) and use the debugger so that you can post a backtrace and I can see where it crashed. Don't waste dave's time sending crash reports for this branch. If you have another machine, you can try to repeat the crash on it. It is a good idea to try to repeat the crash with the normal beta version, as new bugs are found all the time. You can also post specific instructions for how to repeat the crash and I will do my best to repeat it. Also determine if with or without opengl, and any of the opengl options make a difference.

You may note earlier in the thread a crash was reported zooming above 80 degrees of latitude. Since I can zoom in and out fine above and below 80 degrees of latitude there isn't much else I can do about this or the crash you reported without more information.

Thank you for testing.
Old 14-04-2014, 10:12   #235

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
You may note earlier in the thread a crash was reported zooming above 80 degrees of latitude. Since I can zoom in and out fine above and below 80 degrees of latitude there isn't much else I can do about this or the crash you reported without more information.

Thank you for testing.
Sean

Here is a patch that fixed the "moving the vp above or below 80 degrees" problem.

Code:
@@ -2811,7 +2811,8 @@ void glChartCanvas::RenderCharts(ocpnDC &dc, OCPNRegion &region)
     glPushMatrix();
     if(VPoint.b_quilt) {
         RenderQuiltViewGL( VPoint, region );
-        m_gl_rendered_region.Offset(VPoint.rv_rect.x, VPoint.rv_rect.y);
+        if(m_gl_rendered_region.IsOk())
+            m_gl_rendered_region.Offset(VPoint.rv_rect.x, VPoint.rv_rect.y);
     } else {
         ChartBaseBSB *Current_Ch_BSB = dynamic_cast<ChartBaseBSB*>( Current_Ch );
         if( Current_Ch_BSB ) {
Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 13:36   #236

Boat: Easton 47

Sean, pulled an compiled the update u did for glChartCanvas.cpp,
not much joy i'am afraid, opengl not playing, it still refuses at 63%, results -

[ 63%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/OpenCPN.dir/src/glChartCanvas.cpp.o
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp: In function ‘void (* systemGetProcAddress(const char*))()’:
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:919: error: ‘CFBundle’ was not declared in this scope
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:919: error: expected `;' before ‘opengl_framework’
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:921: error: ‘opengl_framework’ was not declared in this scope
/Users/mo/seandepagnier/OpenCPN/src/glChartCanvas.cpp:927: error: ‘opengl_framework’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/OpenCPN.dir/src/glChartCanvas.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/OpenCPN.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
x:build mo$

Mo
Icnoships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 14:00   #237

Boat: Amel Sharki

Icnoships,

without looking further into this code I am afraid Sean is mixing here OpenGL with wxWidgets and Apple SDK which does not work.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 18:20   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckSK View Post
Sean
Here is a patch that fixed the "moving the vp above or below 80 degrees" problem.
Chuck
applied
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icnoships View Post
Sean, pulled an compiled the update u did for glChartCanvas.cpp,
not much joy i'am afraid, opengl not playing, it still refuses at 63%, results -

Mo
I have reverted back. As it turns out, I cannot work on macosx specific code without a mac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Icnoships,

without looking further into this code I am afraid Sean is mixing here OpenGL with wxWidgets and Apple SDK which does not work.

Gerhard
Gerhard,
Do you know why not? Can I put stuff in a separate file and compile as objective c?

Without this very small bit of apple specific code, opencpn cannot take advantage of framebuffer object (accelerate panning), hardware accelerated mipmap generation, or compressed textures.

Also the QueryExtension routine should be checked, maybe someone can puts(p); after glGetString is called function, because without this working correctly, then npot textures cannot be verified which means my recent improvements to vector charts also cannot be used.

I have plans to use more extensions in the future to further improve performance (convert coordinates on the gpu) and add special features (like polar and other projections) so this should be fixed for macosx, it can't be that hard.
Old 15-04-2014, 00:03   #239

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
applied

I have reverted back. As it turns out, I cannot work on macosx specific code without a mac.

Gerhard,
Do you know why not? Can I put stuff in a separate file and compile as objective c?

Without this very small bit of apple specific code, opencpn cannot take advantage of framebuffer object (accelerate panning), hardware accelerated mipmap generation, or compressed textures.

Also the QueryExtension routine should be checked, maybe someone can puts(p); after glGetString is called function, because without this working correctly, then npot textures cannot be verified which means my recent improvements to vector charts also cannot be used.

I have plans to use more extensions in the future to further improve performance (convert coordinates on the gpu) and add special features (like polar and other projections) so this should be fixed for macosx, it can't be that hard.
To learn unknown things it is best to study some examples. Look at the OS X part of the wxWidgets sources, e.g. files with obj-c code have the extension *.mm instead of *.cpp among other things.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 15:17   #240

Boat: Hylas 44

Sean

Here is a patch that fixes crashes when the vp is rotated.

Code:
diff --git a/src/bitmaps/styles.xml b/src/bitmaps/styles.xml
index df2cd28..25e9a19 100644
--- a/src/bitmaps/styles.xml
+++ b/src/bitmaps/styles.xml
@@ -219,6 +219,7 @@
 			</icon>
 			<icon name="CompassRoseBlue">
 				<icon-location x="620" y="60"/>
+				<size x="32" y="32"/>
 			</icon>
 			<icon name="polyprj">