Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2020, 10:36   #136

Boat: Najad391
Re: OpenCPN Version 5.1.428 Beta Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Ivanm...
I also made some VDRs today and earlier.
The "delay" effect is obvious and probably related to the Windows serial port handler. It may be Dave has a track on this. We are testing some tweaks. Stay tuned and thanks for the input.

I have noticed this too
//Jan
janp391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:51   #137

Boat: Dufour 35

Dave

I just did a new install of the beta on a Win 10 and notice that "Chart Panel Options->Vector Charts-> Show text" is not ticked by default.
This is problematic for beginners and has led to a lot of posts on this forum.
Please change this setting to be "on" by default.
Other default settings are OK.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 15:49   #138

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Valhalla...
re:
"If any of the Mbtiles that are hidden on launch are subsequently displayed, they stay displayed until the program is restarted."

Terry, is this an observation, or a suggestion?

Thanks
Dave
Dave,

It is an observation and begs the question of why since you don't like Mbtiles to be shown.

But I do have a suggestion. Make the hidden Mbtiles on launch an option for the user.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 16:36   #139
Marine Service Provider

Terry...

I cannot reproduce this. In my tests, tiles are OFF at program start.
Whenever I want to see a tile, I click the piano key. The tile shows. I click the piano key again. The tile is hidden. This can be done over and over, show or hide as desired.....

Maybe I am missing your point.

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 16:56   #140

Quote:
Terry...
I cannot reproduce this. In my tests, tiles are OFF at program start.
Whenever I want to see a tile, I click the piano key. The tile shows. I click the piano key again. The tile is hidden. This can be done over and over, show or hide as desired.....
Maybe I am missing your point.
Dave
As an observation the user must turn the tiles off after displaying them. Just a bit of workload burden.

So what about my suggestion?

Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-05-2020, 18:30   #141

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Dave, users have problems with sources of relevant charts for OpenCPN. Using the old CM93/2 is unsafe, oeSenc is limited in coverage and does not display charts correctly. You give users the opportunity to easily and quickly make mbtiles from various sources (Sat, Marine chart) of the wonderful SasPlanet program, but limit their potential. Anyone who prepares mbtiles, geotiff, jpg, from SasPlanet sees and takes into account the projection metadata, Zoom, we ourselves are responsible for the use of such sources. Let me remind you that earlier mbtiles worked in CPN as a KAP chart, it was convenient and there were no problems with performance on large coverage. There was a proposal to make a hybrid mbtiles display with ENC FS#2529.
I propose making an open vote for users to display mbtiles as a chart!
+1 to this proposal as well. You people who sail only in waters with good charts don't understand that the satellite charts are the only reliable charts in the outer regions of the world (if made carefully). The problem with mbtiles being treated differently than the KAP files made the same way (with GE2KAP and now SAT2CHART) is the reason I have stayed away from 5.0. But I finally realized how much better a sat chart made as an mbtile looks vs a KAP chart (because the color resolution is so much better), I am playing with 5.x. But the way mbtiles work in OpenCPN (different from KAPs) just drives me absolutely batty. I keep clicking the yellow CM93 bubble to make the CM93 chart come back, and it doesn't!! I have to click OFF all the pink bubbles (sometimes 5 or 6 of them, different charts for different zooms) before I can see the CM93 chart again.

I know this isn't a democracy, but your assertion that KAPs and mbtiles are different animals is 100% wrong for this long time OpenCPN user.

Sherry / S/V Soggy Paws
Cruised 7,500 miles last year through Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands using ONLY KAP "charts" made from Satellite pictures (with GE2KAP now SAT2CHART)
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 18:52   #142
Marine Service Provider

Terry...
re:
"As an observation the user must turn the tiles off after displaying them. Just a bit of workload burden."

I guess I am confused, again. Are you saying that the piano keys DON'T work for tiles?

Or that they do, but "Just a bit of workload burden." Compared to what?

"So what about my suggestion?"
I'm thinking of an alternative, semi-automatic method. Something like "Any tileset with multiple scales embedded will be initially OFF, because it is potentially very large and slow to load. Single isolated tiles will load as previously in v5.0".

Dave
Old 05-05-2020, 19:12   #143

Quote:
"So what about my suggestion?"
I'm thinking of an alternative, semi-automatic method. Something like "Any tileset with multiple scales embedded will be initially OFF, because it is potentially very large and slow to load. Single isolated tiles will load as previously in v5.0".
Dave
Sounds like you are referring to those gigantic tiles that Jon makes.

And 'single isolated tiles' will require you to do some investigating of any tileset loaded. Bear in mind that the Mbtiles we make can have three zoom levels of Sasplanet for the best rendering.

Would you like some samples to look at?

Australia

SolomonIslandsRev1

Terry
Old 05-05-2020, 19:21   #144
Marine Service Provider

Terry...
Thanks for the sample tilesets.

But my question about piano buttons for tiles still applies....
Thanks
Dave
Old 05-05-2020, 19:23   #145
Marine Service Provider

SoggyPaws....
Sherry, just wondering. Are you using multi-zoom tilesets, or single zoom sets? And are the tiles contiguous over a region, or rather more sparsely arranged? Any samples available?

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-05-2020, 19:24   #146

Quote:
Terry...
Thanks for the sample tilesets.
But my question about piano buttons for tiles still applies....
Thanks
Dave

The piano keys work the way you intend them to do.
Click to display the chart, click to hide the chart.

It was an observation not a complaint.

Terry
Old 05-05-2020, 19:31   #147

Quote:
SoggyPaws....
Sherry, just wondering. Are you using multi-zoom tilesets, or single zoom sets? And are the tiles contiguous over a region, or rather more sparsely arranged? Any samples available?
Thanks
Dave

Here is one chart made at three zoom levels of Sasplanet 16,17 and 18.

BorotCoveMultilevel

The gpx file will take you there.

Terry
Attached Files
File Type: gpx BorotCove.gpx (929 Bytes, 39 views)
Old 05-05-2020, 20:26   #148

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyPaws View Post
+1 to this proposal as well. You people who sail only in waters with good charts don't understand that the satellite charts are the only reliable charts in the outer regions of the world (if made carefully). The problem with mbtiles being treated differently than the KAP files made the same way (with GE2KAP and now SAT2CHART) is the reason I have stayed away from 5.0. But I finally realized how much better a sat chart made as an mbtile looks vs a KAP chart (because the color resolution is so much better), I am playing with 5.x. But the way mbtiles work in OpenCPN (different from KAPs) just drives me absolutely batty. I keep clicking the yellow CM93 bubble to make the CM93 chart come back, and it doesn't!! I have to click OFF all the pink bubbles (sometimes 5 or 6 of them, different charts for different zooms) before I can see the CM93 chart again.

I know this isn't a democracy, but your assertion that KAPs and mbtiles are different animals is 100% wrong for this long time OpenCPN user.

Sherry / S/V Soggy Paws
Cruised 7,500 miles last year through Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands using ONLY KAP "charts" made from Satellite pictures (with GE2KAP now SAT2CHART)
I also support this suggestion. The way MBtiles are handled differently from Kap charts makes little sense to me and is an aggravation.
Old 05-05-2020, 21:40   #149

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

Quote:
SoggyPaws....
I haven't done any multizooms in one tileset. I have a number of mbtiles made with Sas.Planet and Sat2Chart, using z14 and OpenCPN routes to follow a shoreline or delineate an area. I tend to keep the area a reasonable size, so I don't have to load up a 1GB mbtile. My biggest one is 22MB.

Then I have made a number of chartlets at z15, z16, and z17 (one zoom level per chartlet) to zoom in on specific areas or anchorages. I have about 300 mb of satellite charts (about 180 different mbtiles) in one folder.

One reason for doing it this way, is that the ArcGIS satellite view may be the best one for a broad brush of the area at z14, but only Yandex (for example) shows up some individual reef areas at lower zooms. But Yandex has a lot of clouds, so I don't want to do a z14 area with Yandex.

I have another folder with Navionics charts (made with Sat2Chart) that I keep in a different group.

Here's a view of my chart table.

This is pretty much exactly what I was doing with Kap files made from GE2KAP.

The big problem I have with the way the pink piano keys work is that if I'm zoomed in somewhere, and want to see what the CM93 chart shows, I can't just click on the CM93 piano key and have it show up on top. Click on the yellow piano key no longer brings up CM93. I have to uncheck every mbtile in order to see the whole CM93 chart. And then to see the satellite charts again, I have to click them back on.

Also, you used to be able to hover over a piano key and have it highlight which chart that was. That no longer works. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how mbtiles work. I am using them EXACTLY as I did KAP files (which, all my KAP files are homemade satellite charts using GE2KAP/SAT2CHART, because the "real chart" KAP charts out here are even more worthless than CM93)

Sherry
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 22:19   #150

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I used to use OpenCPN until I tried Time Zero. In a pinch I'd think about going back to OpenCPN but I doubt it.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn