Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 08:18   #106

Re: OpenCPN Version 5.1.428 Beta Test

Dave, I finally got it adjusted with version 5.1.428. I had to put it with -1 and it sound me quite right. I will take a closer look on everythings.
Thanks and will come ack to you.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:24   #107

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I was disappointed not to see any mention of a fix for problem with OpenGL and waypoint visibility. (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3020249)

I've run into more issues with waypoint visibility beyond the "route" issue (above) that all seem to be related to OpenGL.

I assumed from Transmitterdan's replay that this was a flyspray.DoI need to create one? Or report this as a bug in the beta?
Old 03-05-2020, 11:34   #108

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hoolie...

1. Click on "Update Plugin catalog:master". Wait for update to complete.
2. Click anywhere in oesenc entry panel on the list.
3. This should present the option "Upgrade to managed version 4.2.7". Select that.

Note: The little icon in the oesenc panel entry, on the right, shows an "up-arrow". This is your indication that an upgrade to oesenc is available.

Also note: "Import Plugin" is an option used in special cases, not needed normally.

Dave
Thanks! I had tried most of that except the vital click somewhere on oesenc panel. I now have v 4.2 7 and it seems to be working fine.

ps I had clicked on the "up-arrow" as I had expected that to update to the managed version - but it doesn't, even though clicking anywhere else does!
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:42   #109

I have OpenCPN 5.1.428 Beta running on my 64-bit Windows 10. If I enable the dual panel Canvas Layout, and close OpenCPN, it fails to start again.

Here is OpenCPN 5.1.428 in dual panel mode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DualPanel.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	214291

This is what I see on the screen when I try to restart OpenCPN.

Name:	DualPanelStartHung.png
Views:	47
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	214292

The CPU usage will be over 50 percent which corresponds to one core running at full speed plus a little more.

Name:	DualPanelCPU.png
Views:	40
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	214293

In order to restart the OpenCPN Beta, I have to change the canvas layout back to single panel. The easiest way to change the canvas layout is to run OpenCPN 5.0.0, and the layout can be changed there. After setting the canvas layout back to single panel, I can restart OpenCPN 5.1.428. It does not seem to make any difference if I close 5.0.0 or not before I restart 5.1.428.

Here is a picture showing both versions running.

Name:	DualPanel2OpenCPN.png
Views:	61
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	214294

The opencpn.log is attached. As usual, rename the file to remove the “.png” before attempting to open this as a text file.

opencpn.log.pdf

By the way, the capability of running more than one OpenCPN out of several that are installed in parallel is a very nice feature. I hope we keep it.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:30   #110

Boat: Najad 34

Dave..
This Hoolie comment:
Quote:
I had clicked on the "up-arrow" as I had expected that to update to the managed version - but it doesn't, even though clicking anywhere else does!
have come to me from other fellows as well. So it may be a intuitive reaction to click on the arrow icon and expect something to happen. Is it possible to make that to react as the surrounding area does?
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:35   #111

Dave,
Good aftenoon, things are working OK except the tide icons and arrows which are a bid oversize. I am using (-1) for chart object scale factor and user scale factor. with ( 0 ) it is a bid too large. Although the buoys are kind of smaller but still OK. On the overall I was preferring 5.0.604 layout. I will keep 5.1.428 till your next version.
Thanks for your kind help.
P_Dub
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 13:19   #112

The Beta Test version of OpenCPN makes a rendering error at two places in the US ENC US5TX53M, "GALVESTON BAY ENTRANCE - GALVESTON AND TEXAS CITY HARBORS", latest update 2020-04-20.

Beta Test Version 5.1.428 uses a color for land where there is water. Release Version 5.0.0 correctly uses blue for water.

Slip between Pier 41 and Pier 40: 29° 18.3795' N, 094° 48.9297' W

Name:	WaterRenderedAsLand1.png
Views:	67
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	214307

Yacht Basin: 29° 18.9952' N, 094° 46.6593' W

Name:	WaterRenderedAsLand2.png
Views:	67
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	214308

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 13:35   #113

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

As a general comment about plugins, I like greater integration with the core OCPN. Although I understand their rationale, in some respects the plethora of plugins is a bit of a bugger's muddle. So having greater control and being able to manage them from within the main program is very welcome.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 19:19   #114
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Paul. View Post
I have OpenCPN 5.1.428 Beta running on my 64-bit Windows 10. If I enable the dual panel Canvas Layout, and close OpenCPN, it fails to start again.
I'm not seeing this. However I do not have a parallel install running.

W10 home, v 1909, 64bit
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:58   #115

Boat: Lightwave 45

I am hoping that I can manage to get 7mb mbtiles file sent...

I just tried.
I changed the suffix to pdf, which made it "eligible"
However, the file at 7mb is larger than the 2mb allowed by the forum.
So how do I send it?

Tim
Quote:
Karanga....
Seems to be some trouble with your MBTiles overlay files.

Will you post them here for analysis?

Thanks
Dave
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:00   #116

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Dave,

Quote:
"But on my 10' under W10, figures seems very big."
Do you have the Windows screen scale size set above 100%
Dave

I suppose you are speaking about a MSW parameter as I can't find it in OCPN
So the display parameters I found are:
Scale factor texts font set at 100% (recommended)
Screen resolution set at 1366x768 (recommended)

Quote:
Just for reference:
An individual tool on the toolbar is designed to be 9 mm square, at scale ="0".
Is this what you observe?
Dave

At 0 scale, I found roughly 10mm x 10mm which is the same in my 15' device and very near "your" 9 mm (my measure is approximate)

The problem is that the size in mm is the same in a 15' that in a 10'.
Why that choice?
Anyway, I can manage for the toolbar with the scale factor. It is a bit more annoying for the sounding text, as reducing it reduce at the same time the other objects who seem correct at 0 scale. , but too small at -1/-2.

Regards
JP
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 15:47   #117

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
BlackSea...

"don't understand why mbtiles is only considered an overlay."

We have been over this before, and my opinion does not change.
MBTiles should not be considered "real" charts because:

1. They do not contain the correct metadata to ensure safe navigation. Example: Depth soundings, if they exist: Feet, meters, or fathoms? You say, well, obviously photo overlays do not contain soundings, so this is not relevant. But it is. There is no way to know what the content of an MBtiles represents. Could be a screen grab from some other charting app, could be Google data, could be SAP. The tiles are simply georeferenced PNG images, without backup information.

2. They are mostly homemade, with absolutely no provenance. Could be georeferenced totally in error, and there is no way to know, or even test for this.

In a place where only GSHHS and MBTiles are present, I would say that OCPN is simply a useful visualization tool, but certainly not suitable for navigation.

Dave
You've lost me on this one Dave, I've been making and using raster scan charts for years and they have all the disadvantages you mention yet they are handled in a consistent manner to all other charts, as far as I can see. I don't see the reason for an MBtile to by handled differently from home made .kap.
Old 04-05-2020, 17:04   #118
Marine Service Provider

JP...
"The problem is that the size in mm is the same in a 15' that in a 10'.
Why that choice?"

You probably have "Enable Scaled Graphics Interface" ticked on. With this option set, the tools are normalized to 9 mm, to ensure that they are always accessible by finger on touch-screens.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 17:15   #119
Marine Service Provider

Wingssail...

KAPs have metadata, intended to communicate to the chart system (OpenCPN) some critical information about the charts. Things like soundings units, scanning resolution, projection, etc. While not all of these items are normally populated in a home-made KAP file, the possibility is there. And each bit of data in the metadata adds to the confidence of the charting system.
MBTiles, on the other hand, have none of this metadata. And no general way of adding that metadata. It is disturbingly easy to build and distribute an MBTiles dataset that is just plain wrong. And if the tile coverage applies to an unfamiliar geographical area, the user will have no way of knowing that fact. The root problem is, in navigation as in many other technical endevours, being just a little bit wrong is often worse than having no information at all.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 20:51   #120

Quote:
Wingssail...

KAPs have metadata, intended to communicate to the chart system (OpenCPN) some critical information about the charts. Things like soundings units, scanning resolution, projection, etc. While not all of these items are normally populated in a home-made KAP file, the possibility is there. And each bit of data in the metadata adds to the confidence of the charting system.
MBTiles, on the other hand, have none of this metadata. And no general way of adding that metadata. It is disturbingly easy to build and distribute an MBTiles dataset that is just plain wrong. And if the tile coverage applies to an unfamiliar geographical area, the user will have no way of knowing that fact. The root problem is, in navigation as in many other technical endevours, being just a little bit wrong is often worse than having no information at all.
Dave
Dave, users have problems with sources of relevant charts for OpenCPN. Using the old CM93/2 is unsafe, oeSenc is limited in coverage and does not display charts correctly. You give users the opportunity to easily and quickly make mbtiles from various sources (Sat, Marine chart) of the wonderful SasPlanet program, but limit their potential. Anyone who prepares mbtiles, geotiff, jpg, from SasPlanet sees and takes into account the projection metadata, Zoom, we ourselves are responsible for the use of such sources. Let me remind you that earlier mbtiles worked in CPN as a KAP chart, it was convenient and there were no problems with performance on large coverage. There was a proposal to make a hybrid mbtiles display with ENC FS#2529.
I propose making an open vote for users to display mbtiles as a chart!
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn