Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 11:35   #46

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: Opencpn Dokuwiki Migration -MOB- Help Needed!!! MOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
When there are sub-pages (namespaces as Dokuwiki calls them ---> actually I think of them as directories or folders) the plugin called IndexMenu is sort all namespaces and then sorting all single pages.
Early in this thread you said Dokuwiki had a flat file system. They sure fooled us, didn't they. I think the only difference is they use : as a directory separator instead of / or \. You can see that if you look at the files created for each page. The pathnames appear to have had ever : replaced with /.

From some of the pages I looked at I believe the sort order will resolve itself. The file structure (or namespace structure, if you prefer) determines the hierarchy shown in the sidebar.

This sample hierarchy shows how I think it will work.

Chapter 1 indexmenu_n>1
Page 1-1 indexmenu_n>1
Page 1-2 indexmenu_n>2
Page 1-3 indexmenu_n>3
Chapter 2 indexmenu_n>2
Page 2-1 indexmenu_n>1
Page 2-2 indexmenu_n>2
Page 2-3 indexmenu_n>3
Chapter 3 indexmenu_n>3
Page 3-1 indexmenu_n>1
Page 3-2 indexmenu_n>2
Subpage 3-2-1 indexmenu_n>1
Subpage 3-2-2 indexmenu_n>2
Page 3-3 indexmenu_n>3
Subpage 3-3-1 indexmenu_n>1
Subpage 3-3-2 indexmenu_n>2
Subpage 3-3-3 indexmenu_n>3
Chapter 4 indexmenu_n>4

I won't be able to test my theory until I can put an indexmenu string in a page.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:51   #47

Rick, did you fix the indexmenu strings in my pages? I was reviewing them just now and saw they had indexmenu strings. But now there's a new issue. The Plugins page has {{indexmenu_n>13}}. That should put it in the sidebar after Night Navigation. Both are at the same level, children of TOOLBAR Buttons, yet Plugins appears at the top of the group. Is that because Plugins has subpages, do you think?

Fabbian
Old 11-11-2016, 14:08   #48

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Fabbian,
Exactly, Plugins is called a Namespace, not a page, (I think of it as a directory or folder) and those are currently getting sorted first, rather than being interleaved with the pages, by the INDEXMENU Plugin. -I hope to fix this so the indexmenu_n>13 in anticipation.

See this post
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2255811

Also this thread in the Dokuwiki Forums. for more information.

Customize Sidebar - Namespace sorting issue

Druple 6 [Book] migrating to Dokuwiki Questions

Export wiki "namespace" as single page HTML

Media Folder/Directory for Drupal Migration

Search & Replace Function Needed badly. (We can use Firefox & Notepad++ Search)

Indexmenu Navigation has blank Page Icon

Syntax for Multiple Word Titles ==== "The Chart" ==== with internal # page links

DW Edit, numbered lists - Clear syntax button?

The forum members are very helpful. Some of this is relevant to our work.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 14:25   #49

Fabbian has made great progress today migrating the Plugins (which is a pretty large group of files)

I've migrated and re formatted Vector Charts page and am working my way down the
Charts

We could still really use two or three more skilled USERS as EDITORS!!
So please speak up. This project has a high priority and we have four books to migrate.
Old 11-11-2016, 16:01   #50

I think Dokuwiki suffers from a bad case of Not Invented Here syndrome. Compare this namespace specification (from the tab at the top of the page window)

Code:
opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:toolbar_buttons:plugins:charts
with the pathname for the corresponding text file (found just below the window displaying the page)

Code:
opencpn/opencpn_user_manual/toolbar_buttons/plugins/charts.txt
A namespace is not exactly the same as a directory, though, because it contains data (text) while a directory contains only files. "Plugins" is a case in point. Although it is a directory in the pathname above it is also a page in its own right, as it contains a fair bit of text.

It's also different from a directory in that the specifications for subpages are all contained within the text.

Once you realize that Dokuwiki uses a traditional file structure to organize the text files that make up the OpenCPN Manual you will understand that a namespace is both a file and a directory. The directory organizes the place to store the text file which contains the content of the manual page.

Personally, I prefer to work directly with the traditional file and directory structure, but now that I've figured out that Dokuwiki's page and namespace structure is an indirect way of manipulating the same thing I understand it a lot better.

Fabbian
Old 11-11-2016, 16:13   #51

Quote:
Also this thread in the Dokuwiki Forums. for more information.

Customize Sidebar - Namespace sorting issue

The forum members are very helpful. Some of this is relevant to our work.
I read through the list of links you provided. I saw only a few replies to your questions but each follow up question you asked revealed you had learned more about the Dokuwiki system. I admire your patience and tenacity.

I hope you get that sorting order thing figured out soon.

Fabbian
Old 11-11-2016, 19:12   #52

Rick,

I have begun putting the indexmenu string without braces at the top of the pages I add so they will appear as comments. You can just add the braces if (1) you figure out how to sort the pages in the order we want (interleaved) and (2) we were using the correct numbering scheme.

You added a lot of links to the Plugins page. There's nothing on the Plugins source page (Drupal) so I don't know where to find source pages for those links. It's not an issue until I run out of pages.

When I create a page I try to assign a page name based on the Drupal "sidebar" so the correct name will appear in the sidebar. The name may not match the link you added in every case. We can sort that out later.

Fabbian
Old 12-11-2016, 08:13   #53

Fabbian, check out what Myron suggests here:
https://forum.dokuwiki.org/post/54512

Ok, thanks about making it a comment. I will change to braces.
Do you have javascript disabled or something?
What happens when you put braces?
What actions cause the sort code to disappear?
Does the sort code stay present until you save, or is it removed as soon as you load a page?

I saw you've been working on the plugins and I did not have the pathnames correct in the Plugins page, so now I've fixed most of them.
We'll sort out the others in time.
We need some authors to step up and write up some of the plugins so we have a page to reference!

About naming, yes use the Drupal sidebar is fine. I can't think where there would be conflicts, as we are not changing organization with this migration, but perhaps there are a few little things....

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Rick,

I have begun putting the indexmenu string without braces at the top of the pages I add so they will appear as comments. You can just add the braces if (1) you figure out how to sort the pages in the order we want (interleaved) and (2) we were using the correct numbering scheme.

You added a lot of links to the Plugins page. There's nothing on the Plugins source page (Drupal) so I don't know where to find source pages for those links. It's not an issue until I run out of pages.

When I create a page I try to assign a page name based on the Drupal "sidebar" so the correct name will appear in the sidebar. The name may not match the link you added in every case. We can sort that out later.

Fabbian
Old 12-11-2016, 21:48   #54

Quote:
Fabbian, check out what Myron suggests here:
https://forum.dokuwiki.org/post/54512

Ok, thanks about making it a comment. I will change to braces.
Do you have javascript disabled or something?
What happens when you put braces?
What actions cause the sort code to disappear?
Does the sort code stay present until you save, or is it removed as soon as you load a page?
I do not have javascript disabled.

When I save a page containing the {{indexmenu_n>1}} string after editing with DW Edit the string will be gone the next time I edit the page with DW Edit. It does not matter if the string was present in the page before I edited it or if I added it. Nor does it matter if I enclose the string with %% to prevent Dokuwiki from reformatting it. If I have the string %%{{indexmenu_n>1}}%% when I save it the string when next I open the page with DW Edit will be changed to %%%%.

Except in DW Edit mode the string is not visible.

I can open a page that has the indexmenu string and it will still be there. If I cancel the editing the indexmenu string is not disturbed.

Fabbian
Old 13-11-2016, 12:25   #55

Good points Fabbian,
One reason the path is different is we are "flattening the entire MEDIA file structure to be pointed just a folder for all images in the User Manual "opencpn_user_manual". We are going to have to remove sub-sub directories like ":toolbar_buttons\plugins\charts" for media files which use {{ }}

Note that page links use [[ ]] and will require the sub-sub structure so they are placed properly in the index structure.

I was reading about an option to change the ":" to "\" in the configuration settings, but I did not want to change it now as it should help use distinguish between pathnames that have been changed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
I think Dokuwiki suffers from a bad case of Not Invented Here syndrome. Compare this namespace specification (from the tab at the top of the page window)

Code:
opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:toolbar_buttons:plugins:charts
with the pathname for the corresponding text file (found just below the window displaying the page)

Code:
opencpn/opencpn_user_manual/toolbar_buttons/plugins/charts.txt
A namespace is not exactly the same as a directory, though, because it contains data (text) while a directory contains only files. "Plugins" is a case in point. Although it is a directory in the pathname above it is also a page in its own right, as it contains a fair bit of text.

It's also different from a directory in that the specifications for subpages are all contained within the text.

Once you realize that Dokuwiki uses a traditional file structure to organize the text files that make up the OpenCPN Manual you will understand that a namespace is both a file and a directory. The directory organizes the place to store the text file which contains the content of the manual page.

Personally, I prefer to work directly with the traditional file and directory structure, but now that I've figured out that Dokuwiki's page and namespace structure is an indirect way of manipulating the same thing I understand it a lot better.

Fabbian
Old 13-11-2016, 13:36   #56

Fabbian, you've done most of the plugins, which is great. I note you added the NV Charts images. Excellent job.
I changed the indexmenu's sort header that you left at the top, into code so the sorting is better. It was very easy, but I hope you have access to that now!
Old 13-11-2016, 13:54   #57

Quote:
Good points Fabbian,
One reason the path is different is we are "flattening the entire MEDIA file structure to be pointed just a folder for all images in the User Manual "opencpn_user_manual". We are going to have to remove sub-sub directories like ":toolbar_buttons\plugins\charts" for media files which use {{ }}
It seems like a good idea to put all the images in a single directory so they can be accessed by multiple pages without being duplicated but it doesn't seem to be a Dokuwiki requirement. I accidentally uploaded an image file to
Code:
opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:toolbar_buttons:plugins:log_data_translate:xxmtamessage3.png
and have not been able to delete it. I uploaded another copy to
Code:
opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:xxmtamessage3.png
and used that one in the manual page. Nothing refers to the file in the log_data_translate directory so it can be safely deleted if you can figure out how to do it.

Both file specifications work in the page, so Dokuwiki doesn't enforce a flat media file system.

I found another image in
Code:
opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:charts:5ad702b840787080111986d68eeef27d.jpg
that I don't think I uploaded. I can't vouch for it being without links, but I think it should be deleted or moved to
Code:
opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:
Fabbian
Old 13-11-2016, 14:10   #58

What is driving this massive effort to move the user manual? Is there a deadline? As I keep discovering more and more child pages this is turning out to be a bigger project than I expected and I'm wondering how long it will take, especially with just the two of us working on it.

Fabbian
Old 13-11-2016, 15:08   #59
Marine Service Provider

Fabbian...

There is no real deadline. It is simply a work project that will line up with the migration of the entire opencpn.org website to a more maintainable structure. The website part is under development now, and should be ready for test in 3-4 weeks. Probably deploy in January.

So, don't knock yourself out on this. Slow and steady progress on the Wiki is OK.

And more helper elves would be most welcome!

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 15:20   #60

Fabbian, I'll take care of those two sub level files. Thanks.
Also, takes Fabbian and Dave, for establishing our goals & time table. As Fabbian observed there are many sub pages, so the more hands the better. This is a barn raising project!!

Tags
enc, mob, opencpn