Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2015, 02:04   #151

Boat: Najad 34
Re: OpenCPN Beta test 4.1.925 Release

AISTargetQueryDialog:
WinXP and W10, OpenGl on/off

Sometimes during 4.1.... development I've the feeling the AIS Query dialog box has changed how it's vertical size is adapted. My issue is this:
When I, for the first time in an OCPN session, open a query dialog the vertical size is to small as of the left picture below.
If I resize the box, as of the middle picture, that size is remembered during the session.
When I close and restart OCPN the query dialog size is back to small, as of the right picture.
There is no config file storing of the size but instead the code tries to adapt it to the actual screen but, what I can understand, only for the horizontal size not the vertical.

Is there a reason to not adapt it's vertical size as well?

Håkan
Edit: I now saw there is an attempt to vertical sizing but obviously it's not working correct??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AISQuery.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	111116  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 04:37   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
AISTargetQueryDialog:
WinXP and W10, OpenGl on/off

Sometimes during 4.1.... development I've the feeling the AIS Query dialog box has changed how it's vertical size is adapted. My issue is this:
When I, for the first time in an OCPN session, open a query dialog the vertical size is to small as of the left picture below.
If I resize the box, as of the middle picture, that size is remembered during the session.
When I close and restart OCPN the query dialog size is back to small, as of the right picture.
There is no config file storing of the size but instead the code tries to adapt it to the actual screen but, what I can understand, only for the horizontal size not the vertical.

Is there a reason to not adapt it's vertical size as well?

Håkan
Edit: I now saw there is an attempt to vertical sizing but obviously it's not working correct??
I think this one is old and not specific to this version.

I believe I have seen a related issue several times but been unable to grab screen shots so far. When a target query is open and the boat is yawing such that you are approaching a target, or not, there is CPA or not and this is changing rapidly the target query box changes size in time with whether there is CPA calculated or not. Gives the effect of the query box flashing alternating bigger and smaller in width.

I think it needs a fixed size irrespective of whether there is a CPA active or not. Again I think this is certainly in all versions from 4.0

Not very scientific I know, but just an observation that may be related to the above. Hope it helps

--
Chris
SY Morgane
Tweed's World | A high latitude sailor preparing for tropical cruising
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 09:18   #153

Boat: Amel Sharki

Still the developers are trying to get work one code base for the PC devices as well as for the Android devices with no avail. Either the Android version is broken or the PC version is broken. Furthermore the code becomes more and more unreadable.
Long time ago I voted for splitting the code into 2 different lines which is more easy and reasonable now since the Android version is commercial now.

It is time the lead developer doesn't kidding the community anymore...

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:06   #154

I'm brand new here -- recently begun using OpenCPN for route planning and organizing.

This request may have been discussed before but I couldn't find it -- apologies in advance if I missed it.

I'd like to have some control of saving of route/waypoint data. I know that OpenCPN has a nice solution of rotating backups. But as far as I can tell, nothing is saved until I close the program. On a few occasions I've been working for an hour or so and encountered a crash, thus losing all my work.

I'd like an option to periodically save my work, when I start feeling like I've done more than I want to lose :-) My workaround for now is to simply exit and re-start OpenCPN whenever I start to feel nervous about losing stuff.

In case it's relevant, I'm running on a Macbook Pro (Core i7 with 16GB RAM).
sailnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:31   #155

Boat: 29'

sailnc, read the manual. (=the "?" on the toolbar)...Particularly; "export selected" function which is pretty plain on the right side of the Opencpn Routemanager
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 19:56   #156
Marine Service Provider

Hakan/Chris...

I have pushed changes to fix the AIS Target query dialog sizing issues you describe. The changes are in github now.

I think you will have no trouble reading the code. The relevant source module does not even contain the dreaded "A.....d" word.... But it does work on rotatable Windows tablets....

Thanks for the tips
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 23:11   #157

Dave..
AISQueryDialog tested on W_XP and W10. The vertical sizing is now very fine, maybe a bit over sized on B type targets but that's acceptable.
The "avoid horizontal scroll bar" adjustment is sometimes on the lover limit but all text are still there so that's also fine.
Many thanks.
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AIS_Q.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	111279  
Old 20-10-2015, 02:48   #158

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hakan/Chris...

I have pushed changes to fix the AIS Target query dialog sizing issues you describe. The changes are in github now.

I think you will have no trouble reading the code. The relevant source module does not even contain the dreaded "A.....d" word.... But it does work on rotatable Windows tablets....

Thanks for the tips
Dave
One bug fixed and another one implemented. Why?
Please check line 4003 in chcanv.cpp

Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chcanv-Line4003.png
Views:	180
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	111284  
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 03:59   #159

Gerhard...
You seems so angry and not very humble, why? Bad breakfast today?

I'm so impressed of your skills to be able to examine the code the way you do, but to be of more help you could maybe describe your doubts more precise?

Cheers
Håkan
Old 20-10-2015, 06:35   #160
Marine Service Provider

Gerhard...

Thanks for the catch. Fixed.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 07:53   #161

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I love it. You guys are all great! and wonderful sense of humor on top ofsuperskills.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 11:59   #162

Boat: Uniflite 42 Double Cabin Sedan

Hey all ... new to OpenCPN and have elected to wade right into the 4.1.925 beta release version ... which is crashing a lot on me ... (beta - right? I'm willing to work through the issues ... )

On the Win XP Pro SP3 32-bit OS, I have located the 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn\CrashReports' directory and have had a cursory look at each of my successive crashes (11 in two sessions) ... however ... not being developer-oriented (I am more of a nuts & bolts h/w guy), I have had limited success deciphering the cause(s) of all my OpenCPN program crashes. Is there a 'crashdump.dmp' reader program available? (akin to Nirsoft's BlueScreenView?) The .XML & .JPG files don't tell me much.

FYI - I have a relatively convoluted collection of charts (NOAA RNC & ENC, CHS BSB v4 & ENC v3.1, CM93 ed2 & ed3 & Navionics Plat+) loaded on a Lenovo T61 ThinkPad notebook PC (Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz, 3.00 GB RAM) that was already loaded with Fugawi Marine ENC v4.5.56.5612 & Fugawi Marine 5.0.0.79 (latter is latest version that still supports XP - if I had a Win 7 notebook PC [I've got too much time into the subject h/w platform to re-load it], I am / would be fully licensed to install the latest version of Fug M 5).

The requisite encryption certificates for the CHS (& Navionics - I understand that OpenCPN cannot use Navionics [or CM93 ed3]) charts are in place (for the Fugawi programs) on this machine and with the BSB4 1.4 plugin, OpenCPN is able to display the CHS BSB (& ENC) charts.

I have installed (but not Enabled) OpenCPNDebugger 1.1, however, this plugin appears to be focused on GPS & AIS NMEA data streams, thus does not seem like the appropriate tool to bring to bear on the cause of my crashes (just yet - I have not yet introduced GPS or AIS Connections to OpenCPN).

Thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks, FFF
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 12:19   #163
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

First try to isolate and try to reproduce crashes and the steps provoking those.
Describe the steps. Screenshots if possible.

Then you have the OCPN log which is located in the same data directory (you can check the location of it with the "?" help button from the tool buttons).

Why did you start with the beta? Consider to install 4.0 in parallel and then add for example chart sets one by one (implies to throw away the install you did as a parallel install will catch those).

Your GPS/AIS is working?

With the manual open at any given moment. It is a basic and a wealth, really.

Software is like hardware - keep it easy and logical. Not three different wrenches at the same time.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 13:30   #164

Boat: Uniflite 42 Double Cabin Sedan

Thanks very much for the help bcn ... I can see in 'opencpn.log.log' & 'opencpn.log' where logging abruptly stops at each program crash juncture ... with the crash time and an empty line followed by a blank line and an 8 underscore character line inserted before the program is re-opened by me and normal logging resumes. While there is a lot of interesting verbose info in the program log preceding the crashes, the crash causative factors glimpsed briefly in a GUI window on program crash exit must be logged in, and only appear in, the 'crashdump.dmp' file, which I cannot read effectively without a reader program of some kind - does such a reader program exist?

Anyways, early on, I experimented with enabling OpenGL and determined that I could get the program to run longer with that feature left disabled ... that is the about the only tangible, isolatable cause I have determined (one less wrench) ... I also noted that some crashes were seemingly associated with attempts to display a skewed CHS BSB v4 inland chart (Okanagan Lake - 3052A & B) ... after doing some searching and reading, I then enabled Options > Display > Advanced - Chart Display --> 'Show Skewed Raster Charts as North-Up', and, trying to display that particular chart doesn't seem to be an issue any longer.

To back up a little, I went with the beta initially thinking the latest features / functionality might be worth the aggravation of potential crashes ... however, I need to get a handle on what is taking it down so often ... it goes through many SENC file creation processes as I zoom in and out of the Pacific North coast (of Canada) area (my CHS ENC [& BSB] charts) ... but I have noted that changes, i.e. last displayed area and some program options (including newly created SENC files?) are lost when the program crashes ... the SENC file creation process also seems to be create-as-required by displayed area user demands ... this is seemingly a never-ending process and invoking the Options > Charts > Chart Files - Update Control --> 'Scan Charts and Update Database' and / or 'Force Full Database Rebuild' don't seem to alleviate this ongoing SENC file creation process. Is there a webpage article describing this process that I can read up on?

FYI - I have a GPS Connection available (no AIS here - I am at my landlubber home working with this stuff) but have not attempted to utilize it (one less wrench - right?)

I will now seriously consider installing 4.0 in parallel ... in the absence of any 'crashdump.dmp' file reader program. Could you please explain fully what you meant by "implies to throw away the install you did as a parallel install will catch those"? I am simply pointing OpenCPN Options > Charts > Chart Files - Directories to my pre-existing ' ... \Fugawi Marine 5\Charts' directory ... I will not disturb it but could enter its' hierarchy selectively in order to add chart sets one by one.

Thanks, FFF
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 16:32   #165

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Some thoughts:
Have you tried a full forced database rebuild, letting it finish normally?
What is your graphics card? Have the drivers been updated?
Yes, try a 4.0 parallel installation too.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn