Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 05:49   #16

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: OpenCPN 5.0 bug reporting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasos View Post
This is such a small issue that I hesitate to call it a bug but …

When I have the split screen two panel display active, and there is no GPS attached, and there is no active route then if I right-click and select from the popup menu “Move Boat Here” then the boat position only gets changed on that screen. On the other screen the own ship marker doesn’t move. Not really a big deal …

OpenCPN v5 is a Superb program! Well done.
As soon as you do anything that moves the focus to the second panel, such as click, pan or zoom the screen will be repainted and the boat will be in the right position. That's how it works now.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 22:53   #17

Boat: Sailing
opencpn on ubuntu 18.04 crashes with S63-Charts

Hello Community!

My system is Ubuntu 18.04 on a Lenovo X200s notebook. I use S63-Charts from Chartworld and kap-maps.

After upgrading to opencpn 5.0.0 the following happend:

With only S63-charts installed, opencpn crashes after start before anything of the map appears

With kap-charts and S63-charts installed opencpn starts and opens the kap-chart. Klicking on the green tile to change to S63-Charts initiates crashing of opencpn.

What did I try:

x Had the same situation with Ubuntu 16.04. upgraded to 18:04 (new fingerprint...) - no change
x removed plugin oesenc-pi - no change
x removed and reinstalled everything - no change

Attached you find the log file with crashes at 22:29:35, 22:30:02, 22:32:24 and 07:05:45. Then two regular exits from the programm - did not try to open the S63-Charts.

I hope this might an easy problem to solve - anyway thank you very much for your help!

Best wishes from Austria, Kaptn Inglo
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn.log.pdf (45.5 KB, 53 views)
Kaptn Inglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 23:21   #18
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Kaptn Inglo,

do you think you can run OpenCPN from the debugger and post the results of the dump after the crash? Would be helpful to identify the root cause.

We have other reports about S-63 crashes.
I have seen crashes on macOS when looking at new charts.

This is completely independent from oeSENC, as you have already observed.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 23:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Kaptn Inglo,

do you think you can run OpenCPN from the debugger and post the results of the dump after the crash? Would be helpful to identify the root cause.

We have other reports about S-63 crashes.
I have seen crashes on macOS when looking at new charts.

This is completely independent from oeSENC, as you have already observed.

Hubert

Hello Hubert,

thank you for the immediate answer. I have run opencpn in debugging mode with gdb: find the result in the attached file (I have removed a lot of empty lines)

Kaptn Inglo
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn_gdb.pdf (36.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 06-04-2019, 00:50   #20

Boat: Dufour 35

Kaptn Inglo

Run opencpn through gdb and once you have a S63 crash run "bt" (backtrack") from the gdb command line. That is what the developers are interested in.
Read more here https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpnpencpn_user_manual:getting_st arted:help_fix_bugs
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Kaptn Inglo

Run opencpn through gdb and once you have a S63 crash run "bt" (backtrack") from the gdb command line. That is what the developers are interested in.
Read more here https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...:help_fix_bugs

Oh Sorry - hmmm... I thought that's what I did. The only thing was, that opencpn did not crash but freeze and I closed it before running "bt".

Next attempt:

opencpn froze again - this time I left it open, changed to the terminal and then ran "bt".

see the attached result
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn_gdb.pdf (23.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-04-2019, 20:29   #22

Hi all, thanks for the nice upgrade. I just noticed something that probably isn't a bug, but it seems to be a feature of prior versions that is missing from 5.0 for Windows. I didn't notice this in 4.99 - if I had I would have reported it sooner.

On prior versions of OpenCPN, when in Route manager with a route open, you could click on any waypoint in the route (or "step through" the whole route with the down arrow) and the chart would automatically pan to center the waypoint in the window. This was a very nice feature for testing out routes before departing. This feature seems to have been removed from 5.0. Is there a setting available in the settings dialog (or by manually editing the .ini file) that "turns on" this feature?

This feature seems to work for stepping through tracks, but doesn't work for routes.

FYI, this feature had "disappeared" in a similar way on version 4.4 (in 2016) and 4.6.1 (in 2017), but was corrected after I reported the issue:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2386144

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2166699

So I'm asking you to do the same thing this time. At least we're all consistent with past practices! lol
Old 08-04-2019, 02:01   #23

Hi Folks

Release 5 is a most welcome awesome update, many thanks for the efforts ...

To the "bug".

Os / hardware Mac OS Mojave Mac Mini 2014 4gb ram,

I found using the tactics plugin (when enabled) causes a crash on startup.
After a couple of days of head scratching trying all manner of combinations and ini files to narrow down things and find a work around I have found that by deleting the tactics temporary waypoint (before safely closing down the app) The plugin does not cause a crash on startup.

the simplest work around is to use an alternate ini file to start the app with the tactics plugin disabled delete the temporary tactics WP exit the app then revert to the desired ini file with the tactics plugin enabled and restart.
RonSouthworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 08:46   #24
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: opencpn on ubuntu 18.04 crashes with S63-Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptn Inglo View Post
Hello Community!

My system is Ubuntu 18.04 on a Lenovo X200s notebook. I use S63-Charts from Chartworld and kap-maps.

After upgrading to opencpn 5.0.0 the following happend:

With only S63-charts installed, opencpn crashes after start before anything of the map appears

With kap-charts and S63-charts installed opencpn starts and opens the kap-chart. Klicking on the green tile to change to S63-Charts initiates crashing of opencpn

Best wishes from Austria, Kaptn Inglo
The PPA for S-63 has been updated. Please install and report back!

Thanks

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 13:43   #25

Hello Hubert,

Problem seems to be fixed, NO PROBLEMS WITH S-63 CHARTS ANYMORE!

Thank you very much for your help!

Best wishes from Austria,

Kaptn Inglo
Old 28-04-2019, 23:41   #26

hey there!

just updated opencpn to version 5 ... everythings working fine so far BUT it's not possible anymore to make references to files (images, documents, pdf, ...) on properties of waypoints. there was a possibility to insert/edit these references/hyperlinks but in the new version they got lost - WHAT TO DO?

thanks for your help

regards from austria

buddysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 01:46   #27

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddysoul View Post
hey there!

just updated opencpn to version 5 ... everythings working fine so far BUT it's not possible anymore to make references to files (images, documents, pdf, ...) on properties of waypoints. there was a possibility to insert/edit these references/hyperlinks but in the new version they got lost - WHAT TO DO?

thanks for your help

regards from austria

The programmers like to confuse the users. Their goal is not to fix old bugs but to invent new ones. Perhaps try a right click into this field and see what happens...
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 01:53   #28

... thanks for advice - problem soved!

peter
buddysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 05:44   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Hi all, thanks for the nice upgrade. I just noticed something that probably isn't a bug, but it seems to be a feature of prior versions that is missing from 5.0 for Windows. I didn't notice this in 4.99 - if I had I would have reported it sooner.

On prior versions of OpenCPN, when in Route manager with a route open, you could click on any waypoint in the route (or "step through" the whole route with the down arrow) and the chart would automatically pan to center the waypoint in the window. This was a very nice feature for testing out routes before departing. This feature seems to have been removed from 5.0. Is there a setting available in the settings dialog (or by manually editing the .ini file) that "turns on" this feature?

This feature seems to work for stepping through tracks, but doesn't work for routes.

FYI, this feature had "disappeared" in a similar way on version 4.4 (in 2016) and 4.6.1 (in 2017), but was corrected after I reported the issue:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2386144

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2166699

So I'm asking you to do the same thing this time. At least we're all consistent with past practices! lol
Hi all, is there any willingness to restore this route step-though feature into v5.0? It had disappeared from prior versions and was restored to those versions after I reported it. But I haven't heard anything back since reporting it this time.

Let me know if I need to make a Flyspray entry. Thanks!
Old 17-06-2019, 06:16   #30
Marine Service Provider

RhythmDoctor...

A Flyspray task will be the best assurance that this regression will be addressed in the next Release.

Thanks for the feedback
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn