Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 29-08-2009, 17:01   #841

Dan,

The 1.3.2 deb does not install a .desktop file, thats why you can't find it.
You could open up a terminal and type in opencpn or you could make your own .desktop link.

I'll make this easy, open a terminal and type this:
Code:
sudo wget http://matrixmariner.com/sites/default/files/opencpn.png -O /usr/share icons
Code:
sudo wget http://matrixmariner.com/sites/default/files/opencpn.desktop -O ~/Desktop & cp ~/Desktop/opencpn.desktop /usr/share/applications/
Note 1.3.2 seems to lock up when you exit tools, this has been since fixed in cvs.
Old 29-08-2009, 17:02   #842
Marine Service Provider

dacust...

No dumb questions.

Where is opencpn? try:

$which opencpn

should be /usr/local/bin/opencpn

Hint: Drop vi. Retro-survivor of the 70's. Try gedit or kate. They will be familiar.

Good luck
Dave
Old 29-08-2009, 17:30   #843
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Dan,

The 1.3.2 deb does not install a .desktop file, thats why you can't find it.
You could open up a terminal and type in opencpn or you could make your own .desktop link.

I'll make this easy, open a terminal and type this:
Code:
sudo wget http://matrixmariner.com/sites/default/files/opencpn.png -O /usr/share icons
Code:
sudo wget http://matrixmariner.com/sites/default/files/opencpn.desktop -O ~/Desktop & cp ~/Desktop/opencpn.desktop /usr/share/applications/
Note 1.3.2 seems to lock up when you exit tools, this has been since fixed in cvs.
I get this:

Code:
xxxxx:~$ sudo wget http://matrixmariner.com/sites/default/files/opencpn.png -O /usr/share icons
[sudo] password for xxxxx: 
/usr/share: Is a directory
xxxxx:~$ sudo wget http://matrixmariner.com/sites/default/files/opencpn.desktop -O ~/Desktop & cp ~/Desktop/opencpn.desktop /usr/share/applications/
/home/xxxxx/Desktop: Is a directory
[1] 15581
cp: cannot stat `/home/xxxxx/Desktop/opencpn.desktop': No such file or directory
[1]+  Exit 1                  sudo wget http://matrixmariner.com/sites/default/files/opencpn.desktop -O ~/Desktop
xxxxx:~$
I added a / in /usr/share/icons, but same result.

But I ran it from the terminal just fine. This box is way too slow, though. Might just use it to explore chart conversions and build another one later for navigation.

-dan
Old 29-08-2009, 17:55   #844

sorry dan,

my stupid typo... fixed here:

Code:
sudo wget http://matrixmariner.com/sites/default/files/opencpn.png -O /usr/share/icons/opencpn.png

sudo wget http://matrixmariner.com/sites/default/files/opencpn.desktop -O ~/Desktop/opencpn.desktop

sudo cp ~/Desktop/opencpn.desktop /usr/share/applications
gis applications get put in the education category, so thats where it lies in the menu. this should also put an link on your desktop
Old 29-08-2009, 18:13   #845
Obsfucator, Second Class

That worked. Main problem is on 512mb memory. 1.7ghz. Just too slow. When I exit OpenCPN, the system says it's not responding. But it's just because it's slow. I wait a few more moments and it ends just fine. It all works, just things like, it takes about 15 seconds for the default world map to display.

But as I said, I'll just use it for charts conversion testing and build a better system later.

My main system is a P4 2.4ghz with a gig. Still slower than my play box with a 3.2 amd64 and 2 gig, but the water cooling is clogged right now and I don't feel like tearing it down.

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna play some, now.

-dan
Old 29-08-2009, 18:21   #846

speaking of water cooling, i had a disaster yesterday... spilled about 3 gallons of capacitor oil in my kitchen as the aquarium I had my computer submerged in burst... pics of it
Old 29-08-2009, 18:46   #847
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
speaking of water cooling, i had a disaster yesterday... spilled about 3 gallons of capacitor oil in my kitchen as the aquarium I had my computer submerged in burst... pics of it
Nah, don't go with a standard case, build another one. It doesn't have to be clear, could be all metal. Then you should be fine. And still silent. And the metal should transfer the heat better. Could even put cooling fins on it.

Or you could submerge a radiator and use something like the resovator(?), a passive reservoir/radiator combination. The only sound would be the pump.

If you want to see mine, go to my home page (in my sig) and look at the "Projects" section. I made the cooling system from antique Erector sets.

-dan
Old 29-08-2009, 19:08   #848

thats cool, i like the house on top

Dave,
we should add
Code:
cp -p ./$(srcdir)/data/bitmaps/opencpn.png  /usr/share/icons
cp -p ./$(srcdir)/data/opencpn.desktop  /usr/share/applications
to the makefile.am and makefile.in so that the menu items get created in new Linux builds.

files:
opencpn.desktop

Old 29-08-2009, 20:46   #849
Marine Service Provider

Tracks memory leak

All...

Found the leak. Thanks all for the tip. Caused by yet another wxWidgets graphics oddity... Only occurs when tracks are being drawn on the screen.

Cagney, this may be the source of your apparent hang. Or maybe not.

linux users may update all source from CVS now to test these changes.

Many other changes committed as well. No Windows Beta yet, as I am still puzzling the cursor jump issue. Still thinking about that one.

Soon to final Beta for 1.3.4 release.

Dave
Old 29-08-2009, 22:08   #850

Fresh since Dave's last post, give it some testing.
opencpn082909_BETA.deb
Old 30-08-2009, 00:04   #851

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
I am starting to use Unbutu. I installed it on an old iPac and have loaded OpenCPN. Says it installed fine. Where is it?

[...]

I'm gonna google to find out how to map a drive to my XP box to pull over the charts.
Support via the community forums is great and helped me get started with desktop linux. Installing a debian package of opencpn is as easy as clicking on it on the desktop (and entering your all-important admin password); otherwise, you may have to compile (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CompilingSoftware) which works well with opencpn.

Welcome to the club!
Old 30-08-2009, 01:12   #852

Boat: Dufour 35
Dave

I should have seen the light with all those wxSocketBase calls!
The cause of the problem with my SENC creation yesterday was that gpsd was running with no gps connected. NMEA data source was set to gpsd.
I normally never run with this setup......
Nothing else seemed to be affected.

Thomas
Old 30-08-2009, 03:08   #853

Boat: Dufour 35
Dave
Now some strange stuff.
Testing this mornings CVS version with Phiggins AIS simulator, to check track-file size etc. Never got that far though...
OpenCPN crashes when I turn the simulator on...
So I fire up ddd, and things work, apart from the track line.
I try this a few times, same result.
Look at these screendumps, taken when running the simulator/opencpn via ddd. Notice the track line from the ship and to the NW. This came on every time I clicked the track button on. On clicking on the button again (off), the track to NW disappeared and the track line came on behind the vessel, corresponding to the time track was on.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot59.png
Views:	187
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	9618   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot61.png
Views:	172
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	9619  

Old 30-08-2009, 04:13   #854

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
On latest CVS, the track is now working much better, with memory consumption being much more zivilised..
Old 30-08-2009, 06:24   #855
Obsfucator, Second Class

Just noticed the cursor jump happens on ENCs, too. I just never found the need to zoom all the way for those. It lets you zoom back so much further.

-dan
Closed Thread