Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 20-07-2009, 15:47   #451

Boat: Hatteras 53, 26' gaffer, 12' catboat
first post here, let me start with a BIG thank you for your work and your support !!

i'm running 1.32 on a Vista 64 HP Tablet Touchsmart with a globalsat BT368 bluetooth GPS configured on com7. Available options in the toolbox are COM3, 5 and 6 so GPS isnt't recognized and I can't change the port nr in windows bluetooth settings.

I saw the post about opencpn.ini file which i can't find on my system.. Also about xport but i dont' know if that will run on v64 and i like to keep things simple.

is there a way to configure a com7 GPS?

So far, I find OpenCPN to be a nice alternative to SeaClear, especially the tide data integration. Scroll wheel works fine on V64.

Old 20-07-2009, 16:11   #452
Marine Service Provider

pascalG....

Welcome aboard.

Does your COM7 GPS appear in the system Device Manager as a COM port?
If it does, it should appear in the pulldown list for NMEA Data Source.

If it does not, this is the problem.
Are there any other references to COM7 in the Device Manager?

You could also try editing the .INI file found in

Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\opencpn\opencpn.ini

Good luck, and let us know the results....

Dave
Old 20-07-2009, 16:15   #453
Marine Service Provider

Linux users....

Has anyone compiled Build 716 from CVS source?
If so, what are the available choices for NMEA data source?

It is reported that
/dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/ttyUSB1
have disappeared from Build 716.

I can't reproduce this on Kubuntu 7.10....Mysterious....

Thanks
Dave
Old 20-07-2009, 16:42   #454

i was coming back to edit my post since i found the ini file, edited it to COM7 and it worked! don't i feel like an idiot... I should have known Vista would "hide" the ini file somewhere else

COM7 appears in Device Manager as "Standard Serial over bluetooth link (com7)
same for COM8. yet COM7 doesn't appear in the Toolbox, until i manaually edit the ini file.

There is still a glitch i need to solve but it seems to be a Bluetooth SPP issue... with XP and a usb delorme GPS, i was able to use 2 GPS apps at the same time. Now, in Vista 64 and Bluetooth, i can't run two apps. I typically run OpenCPN and Goops (a small utility which uploads position in Google Earth KML file...)
Old 20-07-2009, 17:17   #455

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Dave,

Once again, thanks so much for openCPN - it's really a great piece of software. We used 1.3.2 for our delivery to Newport and race around Catalina last weekend and it worked great. Tons of AIS targets on-screen at once, bouncing back and forth between BSB and ENC charts, and frequently putting the laptop to sleep with everything plugged in and it all worked wonderfully.

I have two feature requests to add to the wish-list:

1) Tracks. I'd love to be able to record tracks for later analysis. It could be something as simple as a Turn Tracking On/Off button, a simple way to delete them (just a button to clear all tracks, or perhaps a pop-up menu with a delete option when you right-click on a track), and when you select GPX Out save all tracks along with the routes.

2) A ruler to measure distances. Yeah, I know this violates the "it's an underway tool, not a planning tool" axiom, but IMO that's all you'd need to make openCPN a great planning tool.

Thanks again!
Old 20-07-2009, 17:20   #456

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
I'll second both of those suggestions by gjorgensen. I was going to ask for the track enhancement next.
Old 21-07-2009, 16:37   #457

I solved the sharing issue mentioned above by installing Franson GPSGate. The $12 express version allows 2 programs to share 1 GPS. works well, stable, easy to configure. actually, it seems to make the bluetooth connection more stable.

another question though... I see that routes are saved in teh Ini file, which is ok except that they were lost when i upgraded 1.3 to 1.32.

I did notice that with a number of wyapoints already in (two routes, 100+ wp altogether) it is taking much longer to update a route when a WP is inserted, moved or modified. 3 to 4 seconds delay now during which vista flags the window as non responding, which is borderline acceptable.
Old 21-07-2009, 17:25   #458
Marine Service Provider

pascalG...

Regarding your points:
1. Next version for Windows will have a setup option to retain old configuration files.

2. Do you mean that you have routes with an average of 50 waypoints in each route, or that there are many isolated waypoints in addition to a moderate number of waypoints in each route? I never tested with 50 waypoints in a route.....
I'll have a look at the code and see what this means.

Thanks
Dave
Old 21-07-2009, 18:02   #459
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalG View Post
... I did notice that with a number of wyapoints already in (two routes, 100+ wp altogether) it is taking much longer to update a route when a WP is inserted, moved or modified. 3 to 4 seconds delay now ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
...I never tested with 50 waypoints in a route.....
That could be interesting. I have at least one route with over 3000 waypoints. Charleston to Chattanooga. I built it when I had Nobeltec, but my GPS was a Garmin 182. No marine maps, just blank space where there was water. So, with no depth or markers on the screen, I had the route with every little turn. I've gotten in the habit and still do it to that detail so if I loose the laptop, I still have a detailed route in the little GPS.

-dan
Old 22-07-2009, 03:50   #460

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
I have two feature requests to add to the wish-list:

1) Tracks. I'd love to be able to record tracks for later analysis. It could be something as simple as a Turn Tracking On/Off button, a simple way to delete them (just a button to clear all tracks, or perhaps a pop-up menu with a delete option when you right-click on a track), and when you select GPX Out save all tracks along with the routes.

2) A ruler to measure distances. Yeah, I know this violates the "it's an underway tool, not a planning tool" axiom, but IMO that's all you'd need to make openCPN a great planning tool.
I have taken the liberty of adding these two to the feature requests on sourceforge.
Old 22-07-2009, 04:48   #461

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Linux users....

Has anyone compiled Build 716 from CVS source?
If so, what are the available choices for NMEA data source?

It is reported that
/dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/ttyUSB1
have disappeared from Build 716.
I can't reproduce this on Kubuntu 7.10....Mysterious....

Dave
I tried last CVS on Ubuntu-9.04 and it works as before, your helper copy files from /proc/tty/driver/*serial to /var/tmp/*serial to discover which serial devices [USB or not] is active even when not running as root.

Note that if you have an existing $HOME/.opencpn then you extract devices from the existing list. People may want to delete .opencpn for a fresh try.

Finally I would add that scanning /dev/ttyS*|ttyUSB* and checking which one can be open would be as efficient and would not imply using a helper with superuser stickybit. It would also allow to handle device alias as generate by UDEV to support device hotplug when sleeping on ram.
Old 22-07-2009, 13:20   #462

Dave

yes, i have two routes in right now, one has 99 WP (my seasonal trip north) and the other one has 26 WP (an upcoming week long trip in the north east).

it seems that the delay in saving route/wp updates builds up over time as routes/wp are edited. There is no delay for the first few updates but after 10 or 15 the delay build up to well over 5 seconds. exiting the program and restarting, allows to edit with no delay until it builds up again.
Old 22-07-2009, 16:46   #463

Dave,

Thanks for the instructions that you emailed me on how to get the latest CVS release and compile it on my XO. Its up and running now and will check your new features.
Old 22-07-2009, 17:23   #464

Dave,

Ran the AIS simulator againt openCPN V1.3.3 build 716 on the XO and the way you show the CPA graphic is much easier too see now.

Also re your question about /dev/ttyUSB0/1 they are both there on the XO running linux Ubuntu Intrepid. The /dev/ttys0/1 are also there.
Old 22-07-2009, 19:07   #465
Marine Service Provider

pascalG...

Now I am confused. I don't see any unreasonable delay editing a route of 50 waypoints under VirtualBox XP. 1 or 2 seconds, not increasing.....
It is much faster under native Ubuntu.

Where exactly is the delay happening for you, and increasing?

1. Right-click ->Insert Waypoint->Redraw?
2. Waypoint Drag->Redraw?
3. Right-Click -> Waypoint Properties->OK->Redraw?
4. Right Click ->Route Properties->OK->Redraw?
5. Other?

Thanks
Dave
Closed Thread