Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2023, 11:37   #31

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Migrating meteovache_pi to managed plugin scheme

The latest build on the Retina display. The font is a bit too small. I unfortunately don't have access to a real HiDPI monitor, but would probably not bother about it too much, the percentage of Mac users with them is not very high, so it is probably not a showstopper.

I am also seeing a consistent crash at shutdown:

Code:
Thread 6 Crashed:
0   libwx_baseu-3.2.0.2.1.dylib   	       0x1090d2cc7 wxSemaphoreInternal::WaitTimeout(unsigned long) + 295
1   libmeteovache_pi.dylib        	       0x123d20f64 JobQueue::GetNextJobTimeout(JobRequest*, unsigned long) + 32
2   libmeteovache_pi.dylib        	       0x123d234e5 NetworkThread::Entry() + 69
3   libwx_baseu-3.2.0.2.1.dylib   	       0x1090d32c7 wxThreadInternal::PthreadStart(wxThread*) + 999
4   libsystem_pthread.dylib       	    0x7ff810cad4e1 _pthread_start + 125
5   libsystem_pthread.dylib       	    0x7ff810ca8f6b thread_start + 15
Will have a look at it as time allows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 3.30.52 PM.png
Views:	25
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	274304  
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 11:51   #32

Boat: Django 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
The latest build on the Retina display. The font is a bit too small. I unfortunately don't have access to a real HiDPI monitor, but would probably not bother about it too much, the percentage of Mac users with them is not very high, so it is probably not a showstopper.

I am also seeing a consistent crash at shutdown:

Code:
Thread 6 Crashed:
0   libwx_baseu-3.2.0.2.1.dylib              0x1090d2cc7 wxSemaphoreInternal::WaitTimeout(unsigned long) + 295
1   libmeteovache_pi.dylib                   0x123d20f64 JobQueue::GetNextJobTimeout(JobRequest*, unsigned long) + 32
2   libmeteovache_pi.dylib                   0x123d234e5 NetworkThread::Entry() + 69
3   libwx_baseu-3.2.0.2.1.dylib              0x1090d32c7 wxThreadInternal::PthreadStart(wxThread*) + 999
4   libsystem_pthread.dylib               0x7ff810cad4e1 _pthread_start + 125
5   libsystem_pthread.dylib               0x7ff810ca8f6b thread_start + 15
Will have a look at it as time allows.

Sometimes, OpenCPN starts by telling me something was wrong at previous launch and proposes me to disable plugins. I should be able to investigate the exit crash issue.
You have strange colors, there is still something incorrect on my handling MacOS dark theme...
Rodemfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 12:31   #33

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodemfr View Post
@Gilletarom : To retrieve Météo France and Deutsher Wetterdienst data I wrote a C++ program which run's on a small server at home. It checks regularly for updates and downloads every new model. I'm already downloading wave models but I don't use it yet in MeteoVache. It might come in the future. I first want to get the current plugin at a sufficient stability level to publish it on the official OpenCPN plugin catalog. I will then consider new models/fetaures.
Well received, But beware, I need the currents to make the "Weather-Routing" plugin work.

And so, your plugin data must be accessible by WR.

And I would like a single data display model. The one we currently have is that of the weather-table tool.

It will certainly be necessary that a collective work be engaged between you, Dave, Sean Depagnier etc .... Is it conceivable for OpenCPN to be able to evolve?
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 12:42   #34

I think I misunderstood your remark on currents.
I don't how works Weather Routing plugin but I'm not sure it is usable with meteovache_pi. When the user right clicks to request forecast for a specific position, MV make a simple request to MV server which responds with compressed data only for this location. This explains why a very low bandwidth is needed. But for WR, this another story, you need data for an entire area.
If you are searching for data to feed WR, then we are probably speaking of extending MV server to a more generic server able to provide gribs of weather & current data like xyGrib or zyGrib. Why not, but then, I will not be able to keep this server on my good old D510 behind my xDSL connection...
Old 18-04-2023, 13:54   #35

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Well actually Gille is asking a reasonable question, but I think he catches you off guard.
The weather_routing plugin, does not have weather data itself, it works in concert with a number of other plugins, one of which is, grib-pi which downloads many types of grib files, including current. Another plugin that contains 30 yrs of NOAA weather data, including ocean currents is Climatology. Weather_routing also optionally uses that data to extend the shorter term predictive grib data.

As Gille suggested there may be some way of bringing topical current data into weather_routing, but Sean has not focused on that problem as he is occupied with pypilot right now.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 15:34   #36

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

I've noticed since I started to test the plugin in windows 11 that there was some misalignments in the main table row and also looking at your graphs they perfectly aligned.

first thing I thought was the language, and the misalignment was due to it, when selected Spanish (in O5.8) it seems that the size of the English words doesn't match with the Spanish word size and it moves the text of the first row of the table.

the screenshots has been done with plugin 0.9.0.+15.a49b33c and screen resolution 1920*1080, using Spanish and after English.

for the size of the columns I don't know how to exchange.

Already noticed that columns are based in 4 Squares for data 1 square separator and repeating it to format the columns width for each row.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comparative.png
Views:	34
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	274313  

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 23:09   #37

Your understanding is correct, the translation of "wind" found in the general OpenCPN translation catalog is too long compared to what meteovache expects, shifting the rest of the line.
I will make a double fix : first print column headers differently to avoid the shift, then provide a proper Spanish translation.
For the translation, I will produce an initial version with the help of my daughter but then, if you agree, I will request your help for a verification. I will try to do it quickly before I leave for holidays at the end of the week ( 3 weeks of sailing :-) ). I will check after how to use crowdin.

@rgleason : I found a way to use MacOS in a virtual machine : https://github.com/myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox
This should help for hi dpi.
Old 18-04-2023, 23:46   #38

Quote:
For the translation, I will produce an initial version with the help of my daughter but then, if you agree, I will request your help for a verification.
no problem from my side, when you tell me where can I do, I'll try.

Quote:
I will try to do it quickly before I leave for holidays at the end of the week ( 3 weeks of sailing :-) ). I will check after how to use crowdin.
It sounds like a plan

Old 19-04-2023, 00:13   #39

Quote:
I think I misunderstood your remark on currents.
If you are searching for data to feed WR, then we are probably speaking of extending MV server to a more generic server able to provide gribs of weather & current data like xyGrib or zyGrib. Why not, but then, I will not be able to keep this server on my good old D510 behind my xDSL connection...
Two "wacky" questions in the world of OpenCPN :

1° How much does it cost to obtain weather data? The answer(s) to this question should take into account:
- what each data provider requires (Météo-France, etc.)
- what the computer equipment costs,
- what the bandwidth costs

2° And who will pay for all this?
Old 19-04-2023, 05:50   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair63 View Post
no problem from my side, when you tell me where can I do, I'll try.

It sounds like a plan
I finally configured a crowdin project. It was simpler than I first expected. So, translation can be added here : https://crowdin.com/translate/meteovachepi/

EDIT : I put some comments to help some tricky translation, don't forget to read them. It is giving size limits for abbreviations which must not exceed a maximum number of characters
Old 19-04-2023, 05:59   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Two "wacky" questions in the world of OpenCPN :

1° How much does it cost to obtain weather data? The answer(s) to this question should take into account:
- what each data provider requires (Météo-France, etc.)
- what the computer equipment costs,
- what the bandwidth costs

2° And who will pay for all this?

For meteovache_pi, I have a few answers :

- Météo France data are now free to download and use but you have to mention the source.
- The computer I use a a more than 10 year old mini pc equipped with a unpowerful D510 CPU with 4GB of RAM and 200GB of HDD. It's cost was a few hundred euros in 2010 and I use it as email server and some other stuff. Now meteovache is its main service.
- In term of bandwidth, it downloads several gigabytes a day. In term of upload it is very small. Less than 100kb a day for meteovache. The server being behind my good old xDSL connection, extending meteovache with new big models might be a problem.

Currently, what costs me the most is the domain at dyndns. It was initially free, but it is no more and last time I payd, it was around 200€ for 5 years.
Old 19-04-2023, 08:26   #42

Already done the Spanish translation.

I have read your notes and tried to agreed with the length stated for some translations, hopefully it will be correct.

maybe somebody will tell something about the translation of cardinals, like "W" and all derived, in Spanish WEST is translated to OESTE, but no seaman will note in charts or anything related as "O" we always use the English notation as "W", otherwise you could be considered a "landlubber" for the rest of the seamen

I've tried to be as much accurate as possible but for sure that I've made some mistake, I'll will proceed tomorrow to do a triple check of it.

thanks a lot for your marvellous plugin.

Old 19-04-2023, 10:31   #43

Quote:
I finally configured a crowdin project. It was simpler than I first expected. So, translation can be added here : https://crowdin.com/translate/meteovachepi/

EDIT : I put some comments to help some tricky translation, don't forget to read them. It is giving size limits for abbreviations which must not exceed a maximum number of characters
Bonjour Rodemfr,

Hum ... I just visited your link regarding the translation of your Meteovache plugin into the different languages accepted (at least theoretically, by OpenCPN)

The OpenCPN project is here: https://crowdin.com/project/opencpn there are only 5 people authorized to intervene significantly in this project:
- Pavel Kalian Nohal, Owner
- Hakan Svensson Hakansv
- Miker
- bdbcat
- Jongough.

You should make a request to Pavel Nohal to add the Meteovache plugin to the other plugins.

Once this addition is made by Pavel, all OpenCPN users will be able to make the necessary translations, each in their personal or preferred language.
Old 19-04-2023, 11:42   #44

@Corsair63 : Thanks *a lot* for the translation ! I included the file into the latest version of the plugin but almost no word is translated once executed in OpenCPN. There must be something wrong in my handling of translation. Why is OK for French and not for Spanish ? I will investigate.

@gilletarom : Seems I made things the wrong way... I'm not sure to have time to handle all of this before my holidays. My plan for the next steps is :
- Fix the Spanish translation issue I just discovered
- Fix one or two other bugs
- Publish the plugin in the beta catalog
- Only then I will request to integrate meteovache's translation files into OpenCPN crowdin project. This way the plugin will be available to all before starting translations.

Does this sounds ok to you ?
Old 19-04-2023, 11:56   #45

Quote:
@Corsair63 : Thanks *a lot* for the translation ! I included the file into the latest version of the plugin but almost no word is translated once executed in OpenCPN. There must be something wrong in my handling of translation. Why is OK for French and not for Spanish ? I will investigate.

@gilletarom : Seems I made things the wrong way... I'm not sure to have time to handle all of this before my holidays. My plan for the next steps is :
- Fix the Spanish translation issue I just discovered
- Fix one or two other bugs
- Publish the plugin in the beta catalog
- Only then I will request to integrate meteovache's translation files into OpenCPN crowdin project. This way the plugin will be available to all before starting translations.

Does this sounds ok to you ?
Obviously, as far as I know, you are not paid to make this plugin. And I obviously have no orders to give you.

So you have the freedom to operate as you wish.

For my part, I will see if I have time to do the translation into Italian.

Tags
plug, plugin