Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 06:07   #601

Re: Logbook Konni for OpenCPN

Rick,

The helpfile should be in this location:

C:/ProgramData/opencpn/plugins/logbook/data/Help.html

You did load the "LogbookKonni_Other.zip" file right?

Peter
ptulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:25   #602

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Gerhard
Quote:
this is the code in LogbookDialog.cpp:
Peter
Quote:
The helpfile should be in this location: C:/ProgramData/opencpn/plugins/logbook/data/Help.html
You did load the "LogbookKonni_Other.zip" file right?
Gerhard, Peter and Del I am a little red faced here. I put the help.html in my plugins compile directory "o-plugins" and not under ProgramData...!
I am very sorry...trying to do too many things at once.

It does work properly now that I have help.html in the directory.
Gerhard, I think the code is working as it should be.
Thanks so much.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:36   #603

Peter,
I've downloaded the most recent a6632f2 "Logbookkonni_Layouts.zip " and "Logbookkonni_Other.zip" from
https://github.com/ptulp/LogbookKonni-1.2/releases

and will place them in
C:/ProgramData/opencpn/plugins/logbook/data/

Will do the same with my compile O-plugins/Logbookkonni_pi directory. Hope Del will too, or should I be git fetch/pull from Peter's github for Windows to stay current with changes?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:48   #604

Quote:
You need both the Layout and Other zip files.
You can pick both up here:
https://github.com/ptulp/LogbookKonni-1.2/releases
They should work (I Hope)

The help file is in the Other zip file.
Thanks Peter, extracted both to C:/ProgramData/opencpn/plugins/logbook/data/
Now I think I've caught up with this fast moving thread.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:55   #605

Peter wrote about purpose of "Layouts"
Quote:
The Layouts are used when you want the logbook data to be displayed in a browser (HTML) or ODT editor (Openoffice or LibreOffice).
You select the layout, select the HTML or ODT button and then the View
button. This will open a window in you browser/ODT editor with the data inserted. The layouts can be manipulated to your own liking with a HTML/ODT editor. When you have installed the zip files, there is a helpfile button (little blue book) in the logbook window
Good Material for the User Manual?

I encourage you all to become registered here to Edit and build a manual for Logbook with your knowledge. (Can we upload the images and use the html konni provided somehow?) Logbook Konni | Official OpenCPN Homepage

spiv wrote
Quote:
As mentioned I have been using this logbook for a couple of years. It is the only logbook I use, and I live aboard.

The main problem I found was that on an OpenCPN crash, I lost a lot od logbook data. Konni added a 'right click --> shutdown logboog' feature, so I have been using it after every entry.... I believe you are fixing this with an immediate save after every entry.

I am also somewhat annoyed by having to scroll at the end of the list when I want to make a new entry. Not sure if I'd rather have the entry on the top, perhaps having the logbook default to the last entry would be better.

Sometimes I like to go over the various lines and add/ modify my comments, but it is quite possible to make a comment on the wrong line because one cannot see the first column, being able to 'freeze' the first column would be wonderful!!
Stefano these are very good suggestions I think. It would be great if you could register on Tracker and enter them under the LogbookKonni plugin Project, (no entries yet) so they are not lost. Also your help with editing and improving the manual would be wonderful because you have used it so extensively. Can you help us out?

Lars -- your ideas are good too, I think this is a more powerful tool than I realize, could dovetail with weather_routing, please enter them into flyspray.
Old 05-12-2014, 21:09   #606

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
There is the wonderfull way using #ifdef for any OS if needed. It has been used already. Look at the code please.
Gerhard
What I was trying to say is that to remain within the constraints of wxWidgets and keeping everything platform-consistent, I don't think we can achieve what you want.

Sure I could include large parts of platform specific code in the logbook all separated out by #ifdef statements, but this entirely breaks the paradigm of using a platform-neutral library. We could even write 3 entirely new logbooks, one for Windows, one for Mac and one for Linux (or maybe 2 for Linux, one for GTK+ and one for Qt/KDE), all separated out into #ifdef blocks. That would lead to entirely broken design, however.

As an example of problems this would cause, what if a new platform came along that wxWidgets was ported to and we wanted to port OpenCPN and the logbook to that? e.g. android. We would then have to code an entirely new set of platform specific functionality for that platform.

It's simply not worth the trouble for a bit of extra razzle-dazzle.

If you think you're smart enough to code what you want without doing massive #ifdef blocks then by all means go for it and I'll be happy to look at pull requests.
delatbabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 21:12   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptulp View Post
Del,

Maybe we should replace the Layout and Other zips with only one zip file that contains both the layouts and the helpfiles.
I just added some more updates for the helpfiles and Layouts.

I think it should all work now.

Peter
Sounds like a good idea, I'll look into it, it should be a simple change I think.

Del
Old 05-12-2014, 21:18   #608

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Thanks Peter, extracted both to C:/ProgramData/opencpn/plugins/logbook/data/
Now I think I've caught up with this fast moving thread.
I have been sick the last couple of days so maybe things have left me behind a bit.

I thought that it should not be necessary to extract these zip files manually, you should be using the "Install Layouts" button from within the logbook preferences window to do that. That works for me on Linux, if it doesn't work on Windows then we need to fix that.

According to the latest instructions in the README which is in my repo or any clone of it, that's the process for installing the zip files for help and for layouts. The zip file for languages will become part of the package and installing it will no longer be required.

Once again if that's not working for anyone please let me know.

Also sorry that these zip files are not currently in my repo, I removed them because of the intention to distribute them as part of the binary package, but I'm yet to hear from Pavel about getting access to the sourceforge page so I can put them there.

Del
Old 06-12-2014, 00:52   #609

I have now combined the logbook layouts and help files into a single zip file (that will be built by running makezip.sh in the logbook root).

I can confirm that uploading the resulting zip file to the logbook through the preferences window makes all of the help and all of the layouts available to me. That's after cleaning my system, doing a complete install of the logbook package, removing any prior help and layout files, and then re-uploading. That's on Ubuntu Linux 14.04.

If it doesn't work for you on Windows or Mac then please let me know, it must be a file location issue.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:09   #610

I am sorry but I have not used Options > Preferences at all because I cannot read it. The text is impossible and the blue background is ridiculous. This has to be fixed so I can answer your question about "uploading the resulting zip file through the preferences window". I do not believe this is a General Opencpn problem, it is definitely a problem within the plugin.

I assume we are to git from Del's repos? Let me know when this get fixed please.

PS: I wonder why for windows we can't just put the files in the data folder unzipped and build the install? Its 3.5 mb expanded versis 2mb zipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Options-Preferences-Tested-Again.png
Views:	222
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	93086  
Old 06-12-2014, 20:32   #611

Hi all,

This morning I have incorporated some patches from Pete that set the background of the preferences window to white. It's not ideal but it should at least resolve the dark blue problem.

I have also made an interim release on github with all of the necessary files including the new zip files:

https://github.com/delatbabel/Logboo...es/tag/v1.2009

I have bumped the version number so if anyone can build on Windows or Mac, tell me where I can pick up the binaries and I will add them to the release.

My priority now is to get the release out because at the moment it includes many stability and usability fixes, most importantly solving the issue of the logbook losing data on an OpenCPN crash. We can look at other improvements in the future once this release is out in the wild.

Also -- on Windows (if you're building there) can you let me know what version of which C++ compiler you're using?

I don't have 32 bit Linux binaries yet, my 32 bit build system went west so I may have to install a 32 bit VM and build there. I'm still suffering from a stomach virus so give me a few days on that.

Del
Old 07-12-2014, 00:38   #612

Boat: Phantom 19

Del...
On Win the "official" toolchain is Visual Studio 2010 (with all the available patches installed, but it makes little to no difference)
My Linux build machines for x86, amd64 and armhf are debian Wheezy (= old enough system libraries to also target all the currently supported *buntus without any changes to the generated packages)
I will do a very minimal test on the builds from your master and if they work, update the plugin download page tomorrow.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:05   #613

I have now build 32 bit Linux binaries and uploaded them to the release page on github.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:45   #614

LogbookKonni
Compiled for Windows latest commit 5a1dd99929 Del delatbabel authored 9 hours ago from here
https://github.com/delatbabel/LogbookKonni-1.2
Compiled for Opencpn 3.2.2 and later (NOTE: opencpn 3-2-2.lib used)

Opencpn Beta File Thingie use rguser rgpass

Find it under Folder "3.2.2 Win PI"
logbookkonni_pi-1.2009-ov3.2.2-win32.exe for Windows users.

Used uninstall_logbookkonni in main directory. Then installed to v3.3.2330
Under Options > Plugins > LogbookKonni > Preferences
White Screen is much better! Thank you Del
Could find "Install" to install layout. Under Data found all layout files anyway, but tried the install and it unpacked the layout. (By the way I found two zip files there instead of one, maybe left over from earlier? I had to "stash" my previous changes, so I expect any changes are stashed and not present)

Have not tested this plugin extensively on Windows. I hope others will.

Thank you Del. Hope you get feeling better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Option-PI-Preferences.png
Views:	166
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	93153  
Old 07-12-2014, 17:52   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

Could find "Install" to install layout. Under Data found all layout files anyway, but tried the install and it unpacked the layout. (By the way I found two zip files there instead of one, maybe left over from earlier? I had to "stash" my previous changes, so I expect any changes are stashed and not present)
Yes there are still two zip files -- Languages and Layouts. You don't need the Languages one, it's included with the package but I have left it there just in case.

Tags
opencpn