Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 02:38   #571

Re: Logbook Konni for OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
I would vote to remove the layouts from the package and let the user install them. I have edited my layouts quite extensively aboard Chiara Stella and I can see myself creating custom layouts and distributing those to other Logbook users.

Yes, remove the uninstall from the preferences dialog.

Del
At this moment the layout files are NOT included in the OSX package.
So these have to be installed manually.

Peter
ptulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:56   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptulp View Post
At this moment the layout files are NOT included in the OSX package.
So these have to be installed manually.

Peter
Hi Peter,

Can you build the latest OSX build from my repo (or update your fork) and check to see whether the layout files are now included? Pavel pushed some changes that should make the difference -- the layout files are now included in the package for me.

Having said that I stand by my earlier suggestion that we should remove the layout files from the package and have them installed on a per user basis. This allows logbook users to share and compare their logbook layouts without us having to get involved as developers and packagers.

Del
delatbabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:59   #573

Quote:
Can you build the latest OSX build from my repo (or update your fork) and check to see whether the layout files are now included? Pavel pushed some changes that should make the difference -- the layout files are now included in the package for me.

Del
I have tested and changed some files and after it worked I pushed the changes. I just saw that Pavel also made some more changes.
The layout files are NOT included in the OSX packages. If you commit both our changes we will test it again.

Peter
Old 03-12-2014, 15:25   #574

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Del there are two other plugins from Konni.

Findit https://github.com/konnibe/FindIt_pi
I believe it uses Logbookkonni for stowage.

Polar https://github.com/konnibe/polar_pi
I believe this plugin is a reasonable candidate for operation with Weather Routing.

I hesitate to ask after the great work you've done, but would you be able take on one or both orphans?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 16:24   #575

Hi rgleason,

I will have a look at the other two plugins after we have a logbook release. At the moment I'm inclined to rewrite the stowage plugin completely because I couldn't get it working for me and it didn't seem to do what I would have thought a boat inventory system would do at all. I'd be interested in any other user experiences.

Del
Old 03-12-2014, 16:28   #576

Hi all,

I have merged both pull requests from this morning and built the package, it seems to work OK for me on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit). For some reason my 32 bit build is broken, I don't know if that's a library issue on my system or something different -- it was working last time I used it which was probably more than 2 months ago so I may have changed something. In any case I know we have people out there using OpenCPN on 32 bit Linux because I installed one myself recently (while in Vanuatu).

So can someone else build 32 bit Linux packages and the necessary packages for Windows and MacOS and we will go from there?

I have confirmed that the Linux packages now contain the language files but not the help or layouts. I can build the help and layout zip files on Linux and put those up on sourceforge.

Pavel -- my sourceforge login ID is "delson", can you please give that access to the OpenCPN plugin page and I will upload the binary releases there.

Everyone else -- please test.

Thanks,

Del
Old 03-12-2014, 17:08   #577

Thanks Del,
We haven't heard from Lars yet, so I''ll give it a good test on Win7 to help move this along.
Old 03-12-2014, 18:24   #578

Del, git fetch --all and compiled again for Win with 0 errors 0 warnings.
It is now here
Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass
under 3.2.2 Win PI

Look for logbookkonni_pi-1.27-ov3.2.2-win32.exe

I've given this a first run over. The most glaring problem at this point is the Options > Preferences which turns Blue on the field and cannot be seen.

I am trying to figure out how I get "Layouts" There is a zip file for layouts, where do I unzip this?

With our new sophisticated install package I should be able to place the layouts into directory buildwin and just include that stuff I think.

Also it appears the language po are stilll a part of this plugin, don't know much more than that but Hakan my be able to help.

The features of the plugin are pretty extensive, I've tried a lot of them and will do more. Hopefully Lars will pickup on this Windows testing too.

Best
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Options-Preferences.png
Views:	107
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	92874  
Old 03-12-2014, 19:56   #579

Hi rgleason,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I've given this a first run over. The most glaring problem at this point is the Options > Preferences which turns Blue on the field and cannot be seen.

I am trying to figure out how I get "Layouts" There is a zip file for layouts, where do I unzip this?

With our new sophisticated install package I should be able to place the layouts into directory buildwin and just include that stuff I think.

Also it appears the language po are stilll a part of this plugin, don't know much more than that but Hakan my be able to help.
Best
OK -- the preferences doesn't turn blue for me. I don't know if that's an OpenCPN issue or a plugin issue but I'll take a look.

You don't unzip the layouts zip file. You upload it into the plugin. At the bottom of the preferences page is a button marked install layouts, you choose the zip file there and it will install them for you. We decided not to install the layouts with the package because it better allows sailors to create their own.

The languages are installed as part of the plugin, that's expected. We don't expect people to be doing their own translations.

Del
Old 04-12-2014, 02:33   #580

Quote:
Hi rgleason,

I will have a look at the other two plugins after we have a logbook release. At the moment I'm inclined to rewrite the stowage plugin completely because I couldn't get it working for me and it didn't seem to do what I would have thought a boat inventory system would do at all. I'd be interested in any other user experiences.

Del
Del,

I updated the plugin for standalone build and build it for OSX and it worked as expected. I had to update the API version in the plugin.
But if you fill in some data and push the Buy It button it will appear in the logbook maintenance view.

Peter
Old 04-12-2014, 05:49   #581

https://github.com/delatbabel/LogbookKonni-1.2

Quote:
You upload it into the plugin. At the bottom of the preferences page is a button marked install layouts, you choose the zip file there and it will install them for you. We decided not to install the layouts with the package because it better allows sailors to create their own.
Where is the zip file?

Should I use this?

https://github.com/konnibe/Logbookko...ok_Layouts.zip
This one is more recent
https://github.com/konnibe/LogbookKo...ok_Layouts.zip
Maybe it should be on your site.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:09   #582

When I load the second one from Options > Preferences it says layout installed at data... and repeats all the stufff that is already there I think..... don't know how this works because now when I go to the plugin I think I should be able to pick a layout from the dropdown. There is none!

I don't understand what this is for? Is it some feature we are not using now? I feel it is blank and needs to be filled with some layout name like "Original" or "Default" or something...

What happens when you have two different layouts? What changes? Does anyone know what this feature is for? I am afraid this is a little confusing for new users of the plugiin.

Without understanding enough, I think it should just run out of the box, in simple form, and then as the user gets more familiar, the more advanced features can be used, but these should be hidden away somewhere.... and not front and center.

How often are we likely to change the "Layout"?
Old 04-12-2014, 06:26   #583

Ok now I am understanding this a little better.

When "Logbook" Tab is selected there is nothing in the layout dropdown. Not sure why not.

When in any of the other tabs Overview, Crew, Boat, Maintenance there are poplulate dropdown "Layouts"

If I understand this correctly shouldn't the "Layouts" for "Logbook"
be "Overview" "Crew" "Boat" "Maintenance" or maybe Layouts is just something related to "View" and printing format?

I am really missing this for some reason. Why is the dropdown blank under Logbook Layouts? There is nothing to "View" or print from Logbook?

We need a little more consistency somehow.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:29   #584

Boat: Amel Sharki

Rick,
Konni has made a nice help file when he was working with LogBook times ago.
Why not read it?
Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:30   #585

The Layouts are used when you want the logbook data to be displayed in a browser (HTML) or ODT editor (Openoffice or LibreOffice).
You select the layout, select the HTML or ODT button and then the View
button. This will open a window in you browser/ODT editor with the data inserted. The layouts can be manipulated to your own liking with a HTML/ODT editor. When you have installed the zip files, there is a helpfile button (little blue book) in the logbook window.

Tags
opencpn