Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2023, 11:07   #1861

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Help / FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty1978 View Post
I may be running a Beta version (5.7.1) which might be why some features are grayed out. (1) Vector Chart Display looks different than the manual. User Standard Objects, I can't scroll or select. (2) Which bring up a more general issue. A recent discussion of local boaters pointed out a hard, pointy object (boiler from a wreck) visible from the air. It's on the paper charts (Raster) now being discontinued but it is not on the Vector charts. These are downloads from NOAA. Sort of academic for this particular one: the difference between four feet depth and one foot depth is not one likely to be tested by anyone who knows how to navigate anyway, but it makes me wonder about other obstructions. Because of my OpenCPN "version" maybe there's a "display all obstructions" setting I haven't figured out how to turn "on". Who decides to "delete" obstructions from the "paper" charts when publishing ENC? I'm planning for discontinuance of paper charts and want to maximize information seen.

User selection of displayed vector chart objects in the Toolbox is enabled only if display category is set to "user standard"

A little background: The ENC display rules defined by the IHO by default hide obstructions within areas shallower than the safety depth (As it assumes you should not be navigating those areas at all because they are, well, not safe)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Display_category.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	273031  
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 11:08   #1862

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty1978 View Post
I may be running a Beta version (5.7.1) which might be why some features are grayed out. (1) Vector Chart Display looks different than the manual. User Standard Objects, I can't scroll or select. (2)
Display Category "All" will show all available objects on the provided chart.
If you want to exclude any of them you can use "User Standard" instead. To be able to edit the user's list in Options->Charts->Vector Chart Display, you first have to select it in the lower right "Hamburger" menu.
Quote:
.....but it is not on the Vector charts. These are downloads from NOAA. Sort of academic for this particular one: the difference between four feet depth and one foot depth is not one likely to be tested by anyone who knows how to navigate anyway, but it makes me wonder about other obstructions. Because of my OpenCPN "version" maybe there's a "display all obstructions" setting I haven't figured out how to turn "on".
No, as said; Display Category "All" will show what's there.
Quote:
Who decides to "delete" obstructions from the "paper" charts when publishing ENC? I'm planning for discontinuance of paper charts and want to maximize information seen.
The author of the charts. In this case NOAA.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 08:36   #1863

Boat: Staverse Cutter, 10.40 mtr.

I have OpenCPN version 5.8.0 installed on my Macbook.
Furthermore, I have a Raymarine EV1 autopilot to which a WiFi gateway is connected, via the backbone, from Yacht Devices.
In OpenCPN, I made a connection to this gateway and the Macbook is connected to the gateway's WiFi.
Yesterday, I was able to run a set route via OpenCPN using the standard Autopilot plugin. I don't use Pypilot because most pypilot settings are already incorporated into the Raymarine's firmware.
Today I wanted to do it again but the gateway refuses communication. If I disable the GPS in the "Connections" screen it does communicate but then I cannot sail a route. It is driving me crazy. What am I doing wrong?????
JD2E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:18   #1864

Send a message via ICQ to LZ4BU Send a message via Skype™ to LZ4BU

Hello,
After upgrading to ver.5.8 I can not open my OpenCPN. After trying to start I see some small window for less than a second (so I can not see what it says) and the program crashes. Ver. 5.6 works fine. Any idea ?
LZ4BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:20   #1865

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ4BU View Post
Hello,
After upgrading to ver.5.8 I can not open my OpenCPN. After trying to start I see some small window for less than a second (so I can not see what it says) and the program crashes. Ver. 5.6 works fine. Any idea ?
They just released 5.8.2. Try with that.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-05-2023, 07:21   #1866

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ4BU View Post
Hello,
Impossible to say without further information, but you may be affected by https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/w...rated-graphics
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:53   #1867

Send a message via ICQ to LZ4BU Send a message via Skype™ to LZ4BU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Impossible to say without further information, but you may be affected by https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/w...rated-graphics
Thank you very much. That was the problem and it is now solved.
BRGDS
Ivo
LZ4BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:55   #1868

Boat: Staverse Cutter, 10.40 mtr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2E View Post
I have OpenCPN version 5.8.0 installed on my Macbook.
Furthermore, I have a Raymarine EV1 autopilot to which a WiFi gateway is connected, via the backbone, from Yacht Devices.
In OpenCPN, I made a connection to this gateway and the Macbook is connected to the gateway's WiFi.
Yesterday, I was able to run a set route via OpenCPN using the standard Autopilot plugin. I don't use Pypilot because most pypilot settings are already incorporated into the Raymarine's firmware.
Today I wanted to do it again but the gateway refuses communication. If I disable the GPS in the "Connections" screen it does communicate but then I cannot sail a route. It is driving me crazy. What am I doing wrong?????
Sailed the boot from the winter berth to summer harbor. After switching off the autopilot plugin it worked well also with the GPS-mouse on a USB-port.
Sailed from Enkhuizen to Hoorn in The Netherlands. From in Port to in Port fully automatical. Amazing!
JD2E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 16:57   #1869

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Download cache is C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\cache
for Windows.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 14:10   #1870

Boat: Looking
Question Re: Help / FAQ

Novice user here. I downloaded OpenCPN to use in the Inland and Coastal Navigation course from Starpath.com. I installed it with no problems, then downloaded a base map and a training chart. I was able to point OpenCPN to the folders I have those charts in and they displayed perfectly in the program. For a month. Now they do not display. They are still in the appropriate directories and those directories are shown in the appropriate places in the Charts menu.

Please help me troubleshoot this issue.
rocu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 15:15   #1871

I think I fixed it. I removed the directories, restarted the program and added them again. Everything displays fine now.
Old 13-05-2023, 12:36   #1872

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocu View Post
Novice user here. I downloaded OpenCPN to use in the Inland and Coastal Navigation course from Starpath.com. I installed it with no problems, then downloaded a base map and a training chart. I was able to point OpenCPN to the folders I have those charts in and they displayed perfectly in the program. For a month. Now they do not display. They are still in the appropriate directories and those directories are shown in the appropriate places in the Charts menu.

Please help me troubleshoot this issue.
I “fixed” this by removing the directories, restarting, and adding the directories again. It works but I have to do it again every time I open the app. Any ideas for a permanent fix?
Old 13-05-2023, 12:39   #1873

When I name a waypoint and check the show name box it displays the name in white characters. This doesn’t work very well on a white chart background. Is there any way to change the color of the characters?
Old 13-05-2023, 15:08   #1874

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocu View Post
When I name a waypoint and check the show name box it displays the name in white characters. This doesn’t work very well on a white chart background. Is there any way to change the color of the characters?
Yes. Open Options (looks like a gear on the left), then User Interface (5th tab over). The first item is Language, & the next one is Fonts. Open the Fonts drop-down (it starts with AIS Target Name), & select Marks, about half way down. Then click Choose Font, next to that Fonts drop-down.

This will bring up the font selection dialog for your Marks (which includes Waypoints). Here you can change all sorts of things, including the color (lower left).

I like to make my marks stick out, so I can tell they're mine & not part of the chart, so I make my marks Red. But you can make them any color, size, or font that you want.
Old 14-05-2023, 23:15   #1875

Boat: Mumby Cybercat 48

5.6.2 runs well on Mac OS 10.13.6.

5.8.2 boots but then crashes. Comes down as a .pkg, not a .dmg as the manual suggests.

Reload 5.6.2 and it runs well again and finds all its charts, etc..

What am I doing wrong?
Zmtndoc is offline   Reply With Quote