Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 05:15   #1231
Marine Service Provider

Re: Help / FAQ

Rick...

The name of the plugin setup package, eg. for Windows, generally has the version number embedded.

for example:
http://opencpn.navnux.org/plugins/wa...9042-win32.exe

We currently have no facility to show the date of latest upload.

This could be deduced by look at the source code for the pi on github, for example, and finding the date of the commit which built the plugin version as posted for download.

This is not too tidy, I agree. Another work item....

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 02:39   #1232

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks Dave. Getting the date is my problem. When downloaded I believe current date is used. If the git repos had the version no and said release it might help.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:08   #1233

Boat: Hanse 348

This is basic, but I have read the wiki twice and can't find the answer. Playing around with opencpn for 2 years, but always using vector charts, which I am not really used to. Trying to do some serious navigation, but can't figure out how to turn on 'land information', like names of ports, cities, etc. Also, need to know names of bridges and clearances. So in frustration, I downloaded raster charts which I know have this info on them, and look like my chartkits. But I can't figure out for the life of me how to load these charts!? Opencpn always comes up first in vector charts. How do I get opencpn to point to the raster charts? Can't find that setting.

My chart directories: (from chart files tab)
c:\users\public\documents
c:\users\myname\documents\charts\enc\us_region2
.....\us_region3
c:\users\myname\documents\charts\rnc\us_region2
c:\....\rnc\cgd01

used chartdownloader plugin, all charts downloaded and in directories.
opencpn 4.6.1
thanks
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 13:58   #1234

Boat: Najad 34

jbinbi... See my comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
This is basic, but I have read the wiki twice and can't find the answer. Playing around with opencpn for 2 years, but always using vector charts, which I am not really used to. Trying to do some serious navigation, but can't figure out how to turn on 'land information', like names of ports, cities, etc. Also, need to know names of bridges and clearances.
For vector chart options look here: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...or_display_tab
To toggle text on vector charts try also the key board shortcut: Ctrl+T
Quote:
So in frustration, I downloaded raster charts which I know have this info on them, and look like my chartkits. But I can't figure out for the life of me how to load these charts!?
To add charts from files see here: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...hart_files_tab Section "Installing Charts"
Quote:
Opencpn always comes up first in vector charts. How do I get opencpn to point to the raster charts? Can't find that setting.
If you've the charts loaded click the corresponding bar:

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...art_status_bar

Good luck
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 14:18   #1235

jbinbi,

Håkan provided good comments concerning where to look in the manual to solve your problems.

I was typing this up at about the same time:

The "land information" you want to see is described in the manual as ENC Text. There is a shortcut key, the letter "T" on the keyboard. This will toggle between having OpenCPN show or hide the text when Electronic Navigation Charts (ENC or vector charts or CM93) are displayed. Soundings are toggle on or off with the letter "S". The bottom condition for Anchoring (mud, sand, shells, etc.) and submerged pipelines or cables is toggled on or off with the letter "A". Symbols for lights are toggled with the letter "L". These shortcuts only apply while vector charts are displayed.

The folders or directories for your newly added raster charts need to be identified in Options (wrench icon on toolbar) > Charts > Chart Files. After the charts are downloaded "Scan Charts and Update Database" needs a checkmark followed by clicking "OK" on the same Chart Files screen. The Chart Downloader usually does this for you, but sometimes this gets interrupted. It won't hurt to do this again. After the chart database has been updated the new chart folders need to be added to your chart groups in Options > Charts > Chart Groups. The "All Charts" group should list all of your chart folders. You might have other chart groups in your OpenCPN. If you have more groups than All Charts, add your new chart folders to these groups. Only the All Charts group is updated automatically by OpenCPN, and it might be possible to prevent this update.

If you have more than the "All Charts" group defined in OpenCPN, you can select Chart Groups from the menu that drops down when you right-click on the chart canvas.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 16:20   #1236

thanks. maybe the vector charts just don't have the data? When I see say Newport RI on the chart, there is no text whether or not I toggle T. Should I see something on the chart saying 'Newport"?

I think I have the directories, here is a screen shot of the raster added from the plugin after I downloaded them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chartsnip.PNG
Views:	69
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	151179  
Old 03-07-2017, 18:11   #1237

Quote:
thanks. maybe the vector charts just don't have the data? When I see say Newport RI on the chart, there is no text whether or not I toggle T. Should I see something on the chart saying 'Newport"?

Code:
Here is a screenshot showing a portion of 
US5RI22M.000
NEWPORT HARBOR
chart scale: 1:20000
OpenCPN scale: 1:19500 (1.0x)
Text (T), Lights (L), Soundings (S) and Anchoring Info (A) are all toggled "on".
Quilting (Q) is toggled "off".

Click image for larger version

Name:	US5RI22M.png
Views:	103
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	151192

You should see the same, if you select the rightmost green rectangle on the chart bar (also called the "piano").

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 19:26   #1238

Paul, Many thanks! Got it. What was going on was was i had important text checked on. i took that off and now have a good chart. again, appreciate it. Also figured out how to switch to raster, just choose the blue rectangles at the bottom.
Old 04-07-2017, 22:18   #1239

OpenCPN 4.6.1 not responding

Hello OpenCPN Community

Thank you for this great software and all the efforts that have gone into it.

I am still relatively new and learning so kindly be gentle in case I missed out reading a FAQ or forum post.

Running OpenCPN on a Surface 3, i5, Win10, with external monitor in passage preparation mode with no GPS attached.

One or two particular charts (GE kap files) seem to cause OpenCPN to hang (no crash just no response), I can reproduce this consistently.

I understand that this may simply be a problem with the relevant chart(s) and I can easily recreate them but I was wondering if the development community would still be interested in finding out why this is happening and possibly add code to skip any invalid charts? I had similar hangs during a passage and lost valuable tracking data after restarting OpenCPN.

I have attached the log file and would be happy to provide the relevant 2 charts if there is interest in investigating further.

Thanks for reading

Martin
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn - Hang.doc (6.6 KB, 31 views)
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 17:59   #1240

Boat: Valiant 42

I see nothing helpful in the log file. Can you provide a link to the offending .kap file(s)?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:57   #1241

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

jbinbi,
Can you provide us with any suggestions to the wiki instructions to make these User Manual clearer?

Perhaps under
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...hart_files_tab

or one of the other sections that Paul and Hakan referenced?

Quote:
Paul, Many thanks! Got it. What was going on was was i had important text checked on. i took that off and now have a good chart. again, appreciate it. Also figured out how to switch to raster, just choose the blue rectangles at the bottom.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:23   #1242

For the 'using various types of charts simultaneously', maybe saying that it can be done, maybe even a heading, and you will see different color 'tabs' (not sure what you call them) for the various resolution charts on the bottom chart bar (again, making up that term). Choosing which color 'tab' will choose what type of chart. Raster is blue, vector is green.
Old 09-07-2017, 22:19   #1243

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I see nothing helpful in the log file. Can you provide a link to the offending .kap file(s)?
Thank you for looking at this.

I have done some more investigation and believe I have isolated the problem.
This only occurs on 4.6.1. I have downgraded to 4.4 and do not experience the hang situation there.

It seems to happen with quite a few of the Google Earth chart kap files that I have generated through GE2KAP.

It always hangs when you are at the edge of a GE kap file at a scale of around 1.0x when there is two GE kap files overlapping and a CM93 chart is also visible, i.e. when moving around the edge of the GE cap charts into the CM93 chart.

We are cruising at the moment and I have limited 2G reception, will upload a set of GE kap charts asap.

ZIP file finally uploaded: https://www.dropbox.com/s/quvq3ns498...00006.zip?dl=0

Thanks again for looking at this.

Martin
Old 10-07-2017, 15:33   #1244

Boat: Valiant 42

So I ran this all day with your KAP files and CM93 (old version) with no issues.

I hardly ever see OpenCPN "hang" so I don't have a good idea what might be happening. Can you send me your opencpn.ini file? Maybe some configuration setting is different from your setup to mine.

Also, some idea of the exact step to cause the hang would probably help. I'm just moving the charts around and don't see any hang or crash.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 10:20   #1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
So I ran this all day with your KAP files and CM93 (old version) with no issues.

I hardly ever see OpenCPN "hang" so I don't have a good idea what might be happening. Can you send me your opencpn.ini file? Maybe some configuration setting is different from your setup to mine.

Also, some idea of the exact step to cause the hang would probably help. I'm just moving the charts around and don't see any hang or crash.
Thank you for looking at this. I had a about 10 hangs over a 20 day cruise on 4.6.1 a month ago. We have been sailing a week now on 4.4 with the same pattern and charts and it's been rock solid.
I can upgrade to 4.6.1 when we get back in 3 weeks and run any test that may help debug the issue. Maybe there is a debug flag that can be set to get a trace?

Please see attached for my opencpn.ini file.

Thanks
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.ini.doc (13.0 KB, 36 views)