Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2024, 10:54   #76

Boat: 1989 Celebrity 185
Re: First Principles For A New User

As a new user, reading though this, I'll go with OpenCPN being a decent tool to work with. When dealing with any open-source application, it should be foremost in the users mind that it is free for a reason and its up to the user to figure some things out. That's the price of admission.

I did have a few flubs getting started using the canned raspberry pi image, but they were of the poor hardware and pilot error variety. (A poor HDMI cable that freaked out the display during the initial load.) But two weeks into this and I have a copy running on the pi as well as a laptop running ubuntu 22.04.

One suggestion to go in the basic guide: Add a 5th step to get a usb drive and do backups as you make changes. Like after the basic load, updates, and after making successful changes. It is handy to have a way to reload the entire software, settings, and charts from a known point.

For example: I just did one after downloading and updating all the charts I will be using. Then I used the backup to take a pi from bare metal nothing to that same point in one shot, just to prove it works. (I know my luck, I will be miles from home when the sd card decides it has had enough
clm2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 11:45   #77

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm2112 View Post
.. I used the backup to take a pi from bare metal nothing to that same point in one shot

Thanks clm2112 that suggestion has been added.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 06:16   #78

Boat: Corbin 39

I am a straight-out-of-the-box new user. I am not a computer guru of any sort, as you are likely to figure out from some of the questions I'll be asking in due course re netwoking. However nor am I a luddite. I'm running a fairly old (6yrs) Win10 machine.

Today I installed for the first time. So far I have done step 1 (install OpenPCN) and step 2 (install charts). Both went fine first time, though I think step 2 can be improved.

On step 2 in my situation I need Greek charts, so in practical terms that means O-charts. My experience is that OpenPCN will be much more user-friendly if the O-charts plug-in is pre-installed. It is a steeper learning curve than a pure-luddite will be comfortable with to get that plug-in loaded. The various instructions as to how to load that plug-in use inconsistent terminology, and assume quite a lot of background knowledge. Given that many folk outside of USA will in practice be using O-charts it is sensible to preload that plug-in.
petit bateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 06:33   #79
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by petit bateau View Post
The various instructions as to how to load that plug-in use inconsistent terminology, and assume quite a lot of background knowledge.

In order to improve (without aguing against pre-packaging the oc-plug-in), can you elaborate a bit more, where you see the stumblestones?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 07:33   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
In order to improve (without aguing against pre-packaging the oc-plug-in), can you elaborate a bit more, where you see the stumblestones?
That's difficult to explain as there are several different paths one can take through the documentation in order to - for the first time user - understand how to install and use the o-charts plug-in. Because the terminology etc is inconsistent between these different documentation paths, I found myself reading through different help/etc guides along those different pathways, trying to identify what was sufficiently generic/stable to be reliable, to finally suss out what was going to be necessary without getting into trouble. A lot of folk would have given up by that point.

Some examples :
1) At some point in the O-charts process I had to name my 'boat' or 'device' or somesuch thing. Was that significant ? What might be the consequences ? It certainly wasn't referred to in the literature.

2) The plug-in name in the documentation is different than that actual plug-in name that appeared in the plug-in index I used today. From memory it is the difference between "plug-in O-charts" and "o-charts plugin". Enough of a difference to make me hesitate and scan the whole list very carefully trying to figure out if there was a gotcha.

3) The whole chart download tab explanation in the user manual seems predicated on the free USA-charts stuff, not o-charts.

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...wnloader_tab&s[]=install&s[]=charts

There were many other things, I'd have to start again from scratch and show you the pathway I took to examine all the details, each of which is OK to overcome but cumulatively is quite a learning curve. But really I think the only way to solve it for folk like myself (or those with even less IT-knowledge than me, who surely ought to be in the target market) is to just bundle the o-charts plug-in in the basic install.

(Q1. Why is the default depth in feet ? The world went metric when I was a young child, and that was 50+ years ago. Finding that control took me a long time. I couldn't find reference to it in the manual, I stumbled on it by accident.)

(Q2. Another point - after reading all the o-charts blurb I still don't know a) what will happen in 12-months time when my fee-period for the Greek chart set elapses ? Will the charts vanish (i.e. become inaccessible to me), or simply no longer be updated ? )
Old 27-03-2024, 07:49   #81
bcn

Quote:
(Q2. Another point - after reading all the o-charts blurb I still don't know a) what will happen in 12-months time when my fee-period for the Greek chart set elapses ? Will the charts vanish (i.e. become inaccessible to me), or simply no longer be updated ? )
https://o-charts.org/manuals/conditions.php?lng=en

and here:
Quote:
Your charts expire after a year from the purchase date. After expiration, you cannot request updates for them any longer. It is not possible to assign an expired chart to any device, even if it still has free assignments.
No "vanishing charts". We will not license charts from suppliers with subscription models which imply charts that after end of the license period are not usable any longer. Had already harsh debates about that point with some vendors.
Old 27-03-2024, 07:55   #82
bcn

Quote:
1) At some point in the O-charts process I had to name my 'boat' or 'device' or somesuch thing. Was that significant ? What might be the consequences ? It certainly wasn't referred to in the literature.
Again here the FAQs and the Chart Conditions shall answer the questions (hopefully).
https://o-charts.org/manuals/conditions.php?lng=en
https://o-charts.org/manuals/faqs.php?lng=en

In short: as the license gets linked to a specific device, a name chosen by the user will be helpful to remember later where the license has been installed.
(Exception Android: automatic generation of a name...)
Old 27-03-2024, 08:00   #83
bcn

Quote:
3) The whole chart download tab explanation in the user manual seems predicated on the free USA-charts stuff, not o-charts.
The "Chartdownloader Plug-in" and the corresponding tab at Options|Charts has indeed nothing to do with the o-charts sets.
You are not the first getting misleaded at that point but up to now we did not come up with an idea how to avoid this.
Old 27-03-2024, 08:24   #84

Quote:
I am a straight-out-of-the-box new user. I am not a computer guru of any sort, as you are likely to figure out from some of the questions I'll be asking in due course re netwoking. However nor am I a luddite. I'm running a fairly old (6yrs) Win10 machine.

Today I installed for the first time. So far I have done step 1 (install OpenPCN) and step 2 (install charts). Both went fine first time, though I think step 2 can be improved.

On step 2 in my situation I need Greek charts, so in practical terms that means O-charts. My experience is that OpenPCN will be much more user-friendly if the O-charts plug-in is pre-installed. It is a steeper learning curve than a pure-luddite will be comfortable with to get that plug-in loaded. The various instructions as to how to load that plug-in use inconsistent terminology, and assume quite a lot of background knowledge. Given that many folk outside of USA will in practice be using O-charts it is sensible to preload that plug-in.

petit bateau. Thank you for the suggestion. I agree. Lets see if the developers do too, I will add an issue for them. There may be some reason for not doing this that I am not aware of.

Thanks for the review. I will read all the comments below and may make some changes. We will be watching for your comments and suggestions for GNNS / GPS installatlon.

I would just like to caution you that this link:
3) The whole chart download tab explanation in the user manual seems predicated on the free USA-charts stuff, not o-charts. https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...wnloader_tab&s

Is using "OLD 2021 - User Manual". Please be careful about that, as we are trying to move all material to the current manual and then remove or archive the old one. This may have caused some of the run around.

This is the first "Install Charts" page https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...:chart_install

It shows the various options.
Old 27-03-2024, 08:55   #85

I've added a screenshot of the ChartDownloader Sources of unecrypted S-57 charts.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...hartdownloader
Old 27-03-2024, 10:14   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I've added a screenshot of the ChartDownloader Sources of unecrypted S-57 charts.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...hartdownloader
Thanks - I did come across that during the install. But those are mostly the inland waterways so don't address my needs. I don't want to assume everyone needs open waters, and that no-one lives in the USA, but in my case Greek waters is the need.

Also I did come across an awful lot of manuals and sections in manuals and etc. during "my-first-install" but none of them were quite right. As to which were the different ways they were all somehow wrong wasn't really the point of the exercise - I was just trying to figure out what was safe to click next.

Anyway I think the OpenCPN team have done a great job over the years. Hence my trying to give some helpful input from a newbie's perspective.
Old 27-03-2024, 10:32   #87

This page has been reorganized and written by Pavel and me, please review (BCN?).
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...t_installation
Old 27-03-2024, 10:33   #88

Hi,

A few reflections from an absolute beginner to OpenCPN. (Warning: long post, but some very interesting points at the end )

Reflections
1. I admire all the developers that contribute to this software and all its possibilities. The open-source community both generally and specifically is amazing to me.

2. Being a relative non-technical individual there are quite a bit to read and distill. But nobody said this was a (proprietary) plug and play software.

3. Everything can be better.

4. I find - and this thread shows - the contributors to be very responsive to comments.

5. Everything is documented, but as a beginner it is quite a bit to read and some of the material is not easily understood.

6. If curios there is much to learn. And I think that is a necessary requirement for going the "open-source" way. If not - buy the branded stuff. No shame in that.

Investment
I must have spent 100+ hours reading manuals and watching YouTube channels. (Actually a good reminder that my brain is not destroyed by scrolling!)

At this point in time I have come to the point of whether I should use a Raspberry solution with MacArthur HAT and Open Plotter as a solution. How to integrate a dAISy into my solution. Or maybe just use the Signal K possibility within OpenCPN. I am curios. Still there are a lot of details I do not fully understand.

The OpenCPN universe is not plug and play. It is explore, play, loose, win, explore, get a drink, etc. Just like life in general I guess.

Artificial Intelligence - a solution

But then there is AI. I like AI. My NI (Natural Intelligence) is limited and including AI has been helpful in my learning journey. And there might be a potential for using AI to help beginners to.

I uploaded the 1006 pages long manual to ChatGPT 4... then had the following dialogue. First I asked how to install OpenCPN on a Mac:

Starting with OpenCPN on a Mac involves a few straightforward steps to get the application up and running, and then to ensure you have the necessary charts for navigation. Here's a step-by-step guide:

### 1. Download OpenCPN

- Visit the OpenCPN official website and navigate to the download section specifically for macOS.
- Download the latest version of OpenCPN compatible with your Mac's operating system.

### 2. Install OpenCPN

- Once the download is complete, open the `.dmg` file you downloaded. This will mount the disk image and open a window with the OpenCPN application.
- Drag the OpenCPN application icon to the Applications folder within the same window. This action copies OpenCPN to your Applications folder.
- Eject the disk image by right-clicking on its icon on the desktop and selecting "Eject."

### 3. Launch OpenCPN

- Go to your Applications folder and find the OpenCPN application.
- The first time you open OpenCPN, you may need to right-click (or Ctrl-click) on the application and choose "Open" from the context menu to bypass macOS gatekeeper. This is only necessary the first time you run a new application that was not downloaded from the App Store.

### 4. Configure OpenCPN

- Upon launching, OpenCPN might ask you to configure some initial settings. Most users can proceed with the default settings initially.
- To set up charts, GPS, and other preferences, go to the OpenCPN settings by clicking on the toolbar's wrench icon or navigating through the menus.

### 5. Install Charts

- You will need charts to use OpenCPN for navigation. The Chart Downloader plugin (included by default in recent versions of OpenCPN) is the easiest way to acquire charts.
- In OpenCPN, go to Options > Charts > Chart Downloader Tab.
- Follow the instructions to find and download the charts you need. You may choose from a variety of free and paid sources. For many users, NOAA charts (for US waters) are a free and popular choice.
- Once your charts are downloaded, you might need to tell OpenCPN where to find them by adding the chart directory through Options > Charts > Chart Files Tab.

### 6. Configure GPS (Optional)

- If you plan to use OpenCPN with a GPS device, you will need to configure it in the settings under Options > Connections.
- Mac users connecting a GPS via USB might need to install a driver for the GPS, depending on the model.

### 7. Explore and Customize

- With OpenCPN launched, charts installed, and GPS configured (if applicable), you’re ready to explore its features.
- Spend some time familiarizing yourself with the interface, setting up routes, and customizing the display to suit your preferences.

### Troubleshooting and Support

- If you encounter any issues during installation or use, the OpenCPN user manual and forums are excellent resources for troubleshooting and advice.

This guide should help you get started with OpenCPN on your Mac. Enjoy your navigation experience!

Then I asked it to expand on point 5:

Installing charts in OpenCPN is a critical step to turning it from a mere application into a powerful navigation tool. Here’s a more detailed look into step 5, focusing on installing charts through the Chart Downloader plugin, which simplifies the process of acquiring and updating charts.

### Accessing the Chart Downloader Plugin

1. **Open OpenCPN**: Launch OpenCPN on your Mac.

2. **Open Options**: Click on the **wrench/spanner icon** to open the **Options** dialog. You can also access this by clicking on the **OpenCPN** menu and selecting **Preferences**.

3. **Navigate to the Chart Downloader**: Click on the **Charts** tab in the Options dialog, and then find the **Chart Downloader** tab.

### Using the Chart Downloader

1. **Select Chart Catalogs**: In the Chart Downloader tab, you’ll see a list of available chart sources. These sources vary based on region and type (e.g., Raster vs. Vector charts). Select the checkbox next to each source you’re interested in.

2. **Update Catalogs**: Click the **Update Catalog** button to refresh the list of available charts from the selected sources. This ensures you have access to the most current charts.

3. **Download Charts**: Once the catalog is updated, you can browse through the available charts. Select the charts you want to download by checking their boxes. After selecting, click the **Download Selected Charts** button. The charts will download to a default or specified location on your Mac.

4. **Organize Charts**: It’s a good idea to organize your downloaded charts into folders based on region or chart type to make them easier to manage. You can do this within the file system on your Mac.

### Adding Downloaded Charts to OpenCPN

1. **Specify Chart Directories**: After downloading, return to the **Charts** tab in the Options dialog (not the Chart Downloader tab, but the one where you manage chart directories).

2. **Add Directory**: Click the **Add Directory** button and navigate to the folder where you downloaded your charts. Select the folder and confirm to add it to OpenCPN’s chart directories.

3. **Scan Charts**: With the new directory added, click **Force Full Database Rebuild** to make OpenCPN scan the directory for charts and add them to its database.

4. **View Charts**: Close the Options dialog and use the chart selector tool in OpenCPN to view your newly added charts. You may need to zoom in or navigate to the specific region covered by your charts to see them.

### Tips

- **Keep Charts Updated**: Return to the Chart Downloader periodically to check for updates to your charts, ensuring you have the most accurate and current navigational information.

- **Explore Additional Sources**: Some chart sources may require manual download and installation. For these, download the charts from the provider’s website and add them to OpenCPN using the same process as above for adding chart directories.

Following these steps will equip OpenCPN on your Mac with the charts you need for planning and navigation. Happy sailing!

Maybe a way to go?
klohre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 10:57   #89

Boat: Phantom 19

Except being pretty much incorrect in all it says, I more than agree that the length should be something like this.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 11:22   #90

Thanks. I will not post anything again.
klohre is offline   Reply With Quote