Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2024, 23:06   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: First Principles For A New User

I am pretty tech savvy and have also found OpenCPN to have a high learning curve, depending on what you are trying to do.

However, I would keep in mind that OpenCPN brings to the table what a lot of other chart plotters don't, and that's a high degree of customizability and flexibility through its core features and its user contributed plugins. The easier you make a piece of software to use, often the less flexible it becomes, as you need to put the user on rails. That said, I think there could be a simple, and a advanced mode though, where maybe the non-essential features that make OpenCPN great could be disabled or hidden, just to get users up and running with basic charts and navigation.

I use a lot of technical software through work of various sorts, and generally the more powerful and capable tools are often the least user-friendly. Also, a lot of these tools are written by engineers, rather than UX developers.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 00:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I am pretty tech savvy and have also found OpenCPN to have a high learning curve, depending on what you are trying to do.

However, I would keep in mind that OpenCPN brings to the table what a lot of other chart plotters don't, and that's a high degree of customizability and flexibility through its core features and its user contributed plugins. The easier you make a piece of software to use, often the less flexible it becomes, as you need to put the user on rails. That said, I think there could be a simple, and a advanced mode though, where maybe the non-essential features that make OpenCPN great could be disabled or hidden, just to get users up and running with basic charts and navigation.

I use a lot of technical software through work of various sorts, and generally the more powerful and capable tools are often the least user-friendly. Also, a lot of these tools are written by engineers, rather than UX developers.
Very valid point. Comparing it with navionics of similar is like comparing a basic phone image viewer with photoshop.
Though it used by thousands of cruisers, many I know really aren't great with computers & they get on just fine with it even if it takes a bit of investment of time to get to grips with it at the start.
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 00:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernsunfish View Post
Opening screen using ubuntu linux. Looks uninviting no practice chart and its hard to read. I don't even know where to find the "options ' tab to try to change things. Finding that wastes five minutes.
Have you loaded any charts yet?
The base chart looks very blocky, there is a higher resolution available but would mean a very large download to have it downloaded with the installation program.

From the manual >

Did you see step 2 in the quick start guide?
https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/quickstart.html

Youtube going into charts details available there
https://youtu.be/76-60CTj6zY
Old 17-03-2024, 05:48   #19

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

I used for long time SeaclearII and it was easy but sometimes exasperating with the management/creation of routes and I was reluctant to use OCPN, but I gave a try and started from the beginning, and it's true that has a complicated (not too much but cannot find another English word similar) learning curved but it isn't any mystery, going step by step you can get what you want and the plugin most of the times do the rest.

I'm professional mariner and I was involved in the initial development of ECDIS, transition from paper charts to electronic ones, that's really an Everest climbing learning curve.

first of all in the nautical school ya have to learn the basics of the ECDIS, if like myself there was not in the syllabus of Navigation subject (more or less I sailed with Columbus) you have to do a 40 hours course for the ECDIS basics, when you plan to sail, the company has to send you a web based or some cases in site course of about another 40 hours of the ECDIS hardware/software manufacturer otherwise you're not allowed to operate the system, at least internationally in tanker vessels.

so, if you tell me that OCPN is complicated and won't be agreed bearing in mind the standard of the equipment used on board commercial vessels.

and I really can say that the result of both system is remarkably similar and less complicated the setup of OCPN with far away from commercial trading.

the only I miss from OCPN is the route assessment for the safe navigation including drafts, land, narrow channel, etc.

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 07:29   #20
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

The basic steps using OpenCPN have not changed since we tried it the first time about 2010.

- Install it

- Get charts --> Options (the sprocket) --> Charts
* For the US and other free charts, the chartdownloader plug-in (add catalog, update, install)
* for others, o-charts as part of OpenCPN has a broad offer for licensed charts
* there are more options, but to start the first two should help

- You want to navigate? Requires GNSS. Connect to one. Know how it is connected (docs of the GNSS receiver aka "GPS")

* Options --> Connections --> add connections (with the parameters you should know) --> enable, apply.
You are navigating.

- Other settings --> Options --> Display
* select what you like to see. Formats of data

- Study the Display menu (the "Hamburger" down right). Learn about ENCs if you want to be sure what you are doing/seeing with the ENCs.

- Learn the short cuts and what the chart piano down on the bottom is good for

I wouldn't call that complicated for a chart plotter you are commissioning by yourself.

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 12:36   #21

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

The first page of the manual shows where Options is located.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/li...ncpn-menu4.jpg

If you can find FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) in the manual. You can probably find the section which explains how to attach photos and files that are too large or not supported. Perhaps we should highlight Options, but the process for getting started is quite clear.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 12:38   #22

The first page of the manual shows where Options is located.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/li...ncpn-menu4.jpg

If you can find FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) in the manual. You can probably find the section which explains how to attach photos and files that are too large or not supported. FAQ Support and Report
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...support-report

Perhaps we should highlight Options, but the process for getting started is quite clear. And as BCN explains below.
Old 17-03-2024, 13:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post

I wouldn't call that complicated for a chart plotter you are commissioning by yourself.....
And this is why I suggested shoulder surfing a new user. To you guys, seems easy peazy. Yet a large percentage of people quickly become frustrated. Y'all are too close to it. Nerd syndrome.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 13:47   #24

[QUOTE=mvweebles;3881254]
Quote:

I wouldn't call that complicated for a chart plotter you are commissioning by yourself...../QUOTE]

And this is why I suggested shoulder surfing a new user. To you guys, seems easy peazy. Yet a large percentage of people quickly become frustrated. Y'all are too close to it. Nerd syndrome.
From cruising I haven't met this large percentage, despite the majority having grown up long before computers. Though a few people just can't turn on a computer.
Sounds a like a fair bit of conformation bias....
Old 17-03-2024, 14:00   #25
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

[QUOTE=mvweebles;3881254]
Quote:

I wouldn't call that complicated for a chart plotter you are commissioning by yourself...../QUOTE]

Which of the steps I did outline do look complicated or challenging for you? Or requires special knowledge or skills?

And yes, if somebody wants to integrate funny software with home-woven hardware components, OCPN will support it. But that's not the base, the point at one can simply start with.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 16:15   #26

I am going to change the get started page to move "Next Steps" to the top. I will also review Hurbert's summary and make some additions. I will also use barco's links.to help bring the required simple steps to the forefront.
We will show the gear icon prominently and identify it as "Options" or "settings".

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ic:get_started
Old 17-03-2024, 16:20   #27

I use OpenCPN. The ability to use o-charts and satellite rendering in areas where I cruise is an important feature. But the OP started this thread because he's frustrated with the user interface as I was for quite some time. As others have been. Whenever the topic comes up where a user is frustrated, the OCPN nerds get mega-defensive about how gifted their software is and totally ignore that there is a significant portion of users out there who would like to use OpenCPN but cannot figure it out.

If this were a for profit company, they'd be concerned with this type of feedback which is why the OP observed there is a point in development where geeks need to be back-benched (my summary of his OP). Otherwise you end up with highly defensive developers with the attitude that if folks cannot figure it out, they are not worthy.

So my advice is to asking for suggestions on how to improve it or why folks are frustrated. Clearly, your requests for clarity are not in order to improve the product but rather to defend it Repeatedly, you've demonstrated that anyone who can't figure it out isnt worth your time. Your response is we gave you the answer on 2010 so just re-read the poorly written manual.

If this software weren't free, it wouldn't exist. The fact that no company has purchased it should be a clue that y'all have missed the mark. Pat yourselves on the back - there are many valuable features. But you stopped short of making a great piece of software.
Old 17-03-2024, 17:37   #28

@mvwebbles

It is difficult for me to respond to your charge without thinking that you have some venetta or hidden agenda. The state of the manual is a direct relection of the amount of responsibility that you and other users have taken for its care and feeding. We could certainly delete the entire thing and start over, but would you take the resposibility to rewrite it? No, I doubt that you would do that. It is much easier to criticize and tear down our opensource effort than actually contribute. So with that statement, I intend to remove your posts from my feed. In hopes that other users will contribute and help in a more meaningful way.
Old 17-03-2024, 18:03   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Suggestions

1. Pre-load a better base chart than the giant squares and rectangles. Or at least pre-load a better link.

2. Quick start for charts. Make it easier to load US ENC charts (I mention these because they are open source).

3. Pre-build a base chart file structure. Give some automatic priority so they don't get lost if user loads too many chart files.

4. improve how the chart indicators along the bottom margin are represented. May be my stupidity but it took a long time to figure out how to manage charts by toggling these on/off. I also ended up with too many of these and created a mess of my screen. This is where finding a power user was helpful. I know, it's somewhere in the nega-manual, but this is type of stuff that should load super easily at the start. Then let users change as they gain more knowledge and their needs become more specific.

5. Prioritize the plug-ins so icons for certain ones are larger. Chart loader, etc. Some get used a lot, most are some sort of science project they were mistakenly loaded.

I'll wait for the response about how OCPN needs to be super flexible which means none of the above can be done. Or how all a user has to do is read the manual. This is the problem with letting power users make all the decisions on a consumer grade product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
@mvweebles.... I intend to remove your posts from my feed. In hopes that other users will contribute and help in a more meaningful way.
I tried to give the OCPN Nerds specifics. I guess you're only interested in fawning adulation about how great the software is. Don't get me wrong - it has many, many attributes. But without some critical input, it's at a plateau and only useful to wonky users who are too cheap to buy commercial products.

I'm not the enemy here. I use and like the software and know it's strengths and weaknesses. Y'all don't realize how close you are to a really usable contribution. The shortcomings are not just documentation. You guys are too close to your work and get way too defensive with anyone who doesnt fawn over you.

Go ahead and delete my posts in favor of people who agree with you. Good luck with improving something when you selectively clip user inputs. Re-read the OP's post - especially "Power users are not the best people to teach the system" which is a nice way of saying what I've already said. Might as well delete him too.

Re-read #10 where bdbcat says "Thanks for your report. We are listening." Yea, right.....listening to things you agree with. Then read all the excuses explaining how the manual needs more work and users should make the effort. Or how Navionics is basic whereas OCPN is robust so can't be compared.

Y'all really, really need to re-read the OP's #1 post. As if you're a sales manager of a company trying to make a product successful vs a bunch of nerds defending your work and only listen to people who agree with you. It's a good product - but not great. Make it great - or don't. Nothing wrong with being a B- student, but let's not kid ourselves, okay?
Old 17-03-2024, 18:29   #30
Marine Service Provider

mvweebles...

Ummm.
"Re-read #10 where bdbcat says "Thanks for your report. We are listening." Yea, right.."

And what do we get back from the OP, in response to a simple request for screenshot so that we can maybe divine how he got where he is?
Crickets. "Sorry, too busy..."

We do listen, and when we hear useful suggestions, we act on them.

I may point out, several of the suggestions brought forth in these recent discussions have been implemented for the next release of OpenCPN. This release is available in pre-Alpha to anyone who wants to look at it.

But wait...(sarcasm alert)...
"I never use pre-release software. Let someone else find the bugs..."
Sigh....

This all works better if we consider it to be a two way street.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote