Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 04:17   #3061

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzilla View Post
I would like to be able to map keyboard keys to certain functions - is this available or possible?

No, but in Gettting Around see Keyboard Shortcuts
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...oard_shortcuts
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 04:21   #3062

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzilla View Post
I would like to be able to map keyboard keys to certain functions - is this available or possible?
Very easy when you are using the macOS operating system. Go to the macOS settings.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 05:02   #3063

Boat: Dufour 35

@Mattzilla

Have a look at the Launcher plugin.
It may be what you're asking for.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 14:27   #3064

I'm ready to code this one by myself. Point me to the code:

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...rom=&closedto=
one wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 11:42   #3065

Boat: Valiant 42
Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by one wolf View Post
I'm ready to code this one by myself. Point me to the code:

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...rom=&closedto=

Do you mean this?

Https://www.github.com/OpenCPN
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:58   #3066

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on this forum. I have been following the development of OpenCPN and OpenPlotter for quite some time and I'm really amazed of what has been achieved! I have started to build a navigation system around Raspberry4 and Openplotter. I'm hoping to have a quite extensive system with radar, AIS etc.
My question now is, would it be possible to have a depthsounder (fishfinder) window on the OpenCPN? There are blackbox sounders (Garmin gsd22) available for couple of hundred dollars. They have Garmin Marine Network (ethernet) connection like Garmin radars so probably the same counterengineering of network traffic would be needed to get the graphical view.

What do you think?
HybridSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 09:42   #3067

Boat: Najad 34

Everything is of course possible for a trained developer.
Next is the to get data and have knowledge of its structure. The e.g. a Garmin Fishfinder is developed by engineers knowing exactly the structure of there's own devices. To find out these facts would be a reversed engineering like the radar plugins. Garmin would likely not share there's knowledge.

It's up to anyone to develop a plugin for that. But I'd say this has not much to do with navigation that is the main goal for OCPN.
You must buy the echo sounder to get the data. Why not use there's device for the fish picture as well. instead of reinvent the wheel on system where not so much money can be saved? At least compared to a radar MFD system.

The depth data figures could though be transferred to OCPN for a recent depth info in the inbound Dashboard or other plugins.

The above is just my humble opinion. Nothing else.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 08:14   #3068

Boat: Valiant 42

Adding to the previous post, OpenCPN is primarily a navigation tool. It tries to provides access to all navigation related data. Recent attempts to add things like engine data are a bit off from navigation but there is enough interest by plugin developers and the level of difficulty isn’t that high.

Fish finding is a bit more complex software wise I think and also a lot less necessary for navigation so the equation doesn’t seem as attractive. But if someone wants to create a fish finder plugin similar to the excellent radar plugin then nothing stops that. The OpenCPN ecosystem will easily accommodate it.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 03:42   #3069

The topic was created with the wish of the fishfinder plug-in
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...in-101032.html

This is cool!
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 03:25   #3070

Thumbs up Re: Route editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Jean Pierre mentioned this in the monster thread:

• show total miles up to each waypoint
  • let user edit the waypoints in the route editor
I would like to add:
  • add headings for the columns in the route editor
I also would like to see total route distance and time (based on speeds set in properties) to show on the Route Manager without having to open each route individually. This is to aid in multi-leg planning.
dubba919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 05:12   #3071

Would be nice to extend the current GRIB view plugin to send a file request not only by email but include an alternate function to directly use the Iridium API to download GRIB files.
Trade Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 05:20   #3072

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I have a feature request. I would love to be able to share my position with family and friends, preferably using an online map embedded in a web page. Unfortunately this only seems possible using subscription services or some clunky system such as YOTREPS.
I would Like to be able to send position reports using email. Iridium at sea and wifi near shore.
Is there anyway opencpn could
Make a position report at the click of a button, format and prepare the email to an online map that accepts coordinate position reports, possibly have a pop up txt box for comments as well?
If not any suggestions on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated
For sending your position per email, you do not need CPN development to do this is easy just send your friends the google maps link. Example: You are @ 16.13N 61.34W than send the following link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/16.13N+61.34W
Trade Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 09:41   #3073

Boat: BENETEAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
Would be nice to extend the current GRIB view plugin to send a file request not only by email but include an alternate function to directly use the Iridium API to download GRIB files.

Hello Trade Wind,

The best place to post a request is to use the tracker on the main page of Opencpn Project.

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 11:24   #3074

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AISEAG View Post
Hello Trade Wind,
The best place to post a request is to use the tracker on the main page of Opencpn Project.
Serge
Can you please give an example when such a request was successfull even when a lot of people have voted for it?
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 15:24   #3075

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
For sending your position per email, you do not need CPN development to do this is easy just send your friends the google maps link. Example: You are @ 16.13N 61.34W than send the following link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/16.13N+61.34W
I may be possible to use the Launcher plugin: https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/launcher.html
and create a push button command to send the email following this: https://www.howtogeek.com/120011/stu...xtra-software/
In the link for Google maps as of above you could use the variable: %BOAT_LAT% and %BOAT_LON%

See the Launcher manual linked to at the download page for more info.
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote