Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 15:51   #2161

Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
where do we get this type of chart data?
I assumed that it came from the vector charts. Mapmedia CMap in that case. But couldn't the same thing be done with any vector chart?

Otherwise perhaps some gridded data such as this from GEBCO could be used as it publicly downloadable?
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 18:38   #2162

Boat: Richter 42

Palolo1,
Can you give a few more details about the issue with watchdog. I have just tried providing watchdog with a GUID and it seems to work. If you had a previous alarm set with a GUID and then removed the boundary you will get the message as an object with the GUID supplied for the alarm does not exist.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by palolo1 View Post

Another issue that I have is the WATCHDOG feature not allowing me to activate a limit area, because the software alerts me that the GUID assigned to this limit is not recognised. Has anybody else had this problem?

Palolo1
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 16:11   #2163

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44

Hello,

One feature i think would be handy is the ability (with the watchdog plugin) to click and drag your anchor alarm circle, Our GPS is mounted on the aft corner of the boat. This adds 14M to our radius and i always have to adjust the circle with the gps co-ordinates which can be tedious. If this is too hard an easier option would be to have an apply button in the "Edit Alarm" window so you can see where the circle is going to end up without having to exit the edit window.

Cheers, Jesse
jpwales90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 16:47   #2164

Boat: Dufour 35

It's already possible to to set the gps-units position in relation to the boat.

Go to Options->Ships->OwnShip and adjust - GPS offset from bow/midship.
This ought to take care of your problem.

/Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 17:05   #2165

Hi Cagney

Even if you have the offsets set right this only effects what you see. When you drop the anchor and "Sync to boat" the circle syncs to the gps not the bow of the boat.

Jesse
Old 10-12-2016, 03:29   #2166

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Jesse a better way would be to have two offset settings for ownship gps that is shared or available to any plugin. Hopefully someday that will happen.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:27   #2167

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwales90 View Post
Hi Cagney

Even if you have the offsets set right this only effects what you see. When you drop the anchor and "Sync to boat" the circle syncs to the gps not the bow of the boat.

Jesse
Jesse
I think I misunderstood you.
Looking at the watchdogs anchor feature again....reminds me why I use the built in anchor watch instead. You just drop any mark and set anchor watch.
This mark can be moved, like any other mark.
It's often fairly obvious from your track where the gps was when you dropped anchor. Use the "measure" pencil to mark where the anchor was dropped. Hit "Ctrl + M" to drop a mark there and then set anchor-watch. If you have a modern anchor that sets within a few feet, this should put your anchor mark close enough to the real position of the anchor.

/Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 13:16   #2168

Hi Cagney,

Thanks for that mate, Sunshinesailor also PMéd me about the inbuilt anchor watch. I have been playing with it today and like it.

Thanks guys, Jesse
Old 16-12-2016, 12:16   #2169

Hello Jon. It is just like that: I draw an area (polyline) that i don't want to cross in some part of a chart.

Then i export this area with a name. Now it's been saved into the computer (just in case the software fails).

Now i open the area properties, to get the guid id, in order to paste it in the watchdog feature later on.

Now i open the watchdog, and add an alarm, that i do want to associate with the area i draw before. In the guid label, y paste the GUID ID of the area, and then the software gets blocked for a while, and after that, there's a window opened that states something like "GUID not exists" or "GUID not found".

It doesn´t matter very much to me, as it seems to be a problem with the Windows 10 version, the PC harware or something else.

What now makes me crazy is to get in touch with someone who can program the following:

- I would like to place a mark, and then input a Course (True, not magnetic) and a Speed to that mark, so that it moves.

This will allow us to introduce vessels that we find at sea, not shining AIS, (like small boats, a helicopter around the ship, etc...). What we call synthetic tracks. The software operator can alter at any time the course and speed of each mark that he/she wants, in a way that will improve the situational awareness.

I think this would be simple, but the mark -now converted in a synthetic track- will make the OPENCPN calculate its CPA, and have a wake in the same way AIS tracks do have.

Do you have any posibility to implement this in OPENCPN or have a contact that wants to implement this feature? Would be really a milestone for OPENCPN and its users.

Kind regards,

palolo1
palolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 12:59   #2170
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Palolo1..

curious to know what your application is.
What are you observing? For which purpose?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 13:35   #2171

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Palolo1..

curious to know what your application is.
What are you observing? For which purpose?

Hubert
Hello bcn.The purpose is to be able to have a maritime situational awareness as far as somebody can not link their radar picture in opencpn.

Having the possibility of providing movement to a mark (as a non real time ship) one can monitor the full situation at sea...thus providing a better solution to maneuver the ship. It can also be used as a simulation to train bridge personnel on the proper maneuvering according to the "rules of the road" at sea. Can you implenet the feature? It would be great!
palolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 10:26   #2172

Boat: Discovery 47

Hey, anyone...

Any chance there's a Google Earth plugin for Mac in the works somewhere.

thx
enzojeanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 17:28   #2173

Boat: Phantom 19

No, there is no chance. The Mac version of GE does not have the interface needed to implement the same functionality the Windows plugin has.
Actually Google disabled it even in the newest versions of GE for Windows, so it is very unlikely this will change in the future.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 20:07   #2174

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

keep in mind, you can simply create an mbtiles database of the imagery you need using mapproxy. You need to supply it with coordinates, I used the draw plugin to make mine.

Once the mbtiles file can be converted to many kap files to by read by opencpn.

This can work on any operating system.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 22:22   #2175

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by palolo1 View Post
................ as far as somebody can not link their radar picture in opencpn.......
!
palolo...
There are a couple of radar plugins to OCPN. Two for different Garmin and one for Navico broadband BR24/3G/4G. See: Plugins for OpenCPN 4.2 & 4.4 | Official OpenCPN Homepage
The latter is soon ready for MARPA and ARPA. Is that what you're looking for?
More info here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2264058 and watch also Douwe's video some posts further down.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote