Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2021, 17:43   #2746
Marine Service Provider

Re: Beta Test / Technical

nkiesel...
This effect is unreported on any "officially" supported builds.

1. Can you run any version available at the Ubuntu Launchpad link for your environment? Otherwise, the officially supported version for you is flatpak.

2. I assume you are building from source. Is it possible for you to use git bisect to find out exactly when the build broke for you?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 18:08   #2747

I could try the bisect. Any guess if the problem is in core OpenCPN or the current plugin?
nkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:07   #2748
Marine Service Provider

Probably the core. I would disable all plugins for the bisect test.
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 14:28   #2749

Boat: stich and glue, 19 ft wherry row/sail

new install fedora 35 build ok
git clone https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
script with prereqs:

sudo dnf install \
git \
cmake \
rpm-build \
gcc-c++ \
elfutils-devel \
elfutils-libelf-devel \
libstdc++-devel \
libcurl-devel \
libexif-devel \
libsndfile-devel \
libunarr-devel \
gtk3-devel \
wxGTK3-devel \
wxsvg-devel \
mesa-libGL-devel \
mesa-libGLU-devel \
gettext \
sqlite-devel \
bzip2-devel \
portaudio-devel \
tinyxml-devel \
expat-devel \
systemd-devel \
libusb-devel \
libusb1-devel \
libarchive-devel \
jasper \
jasper-devel \
redhat-lsb-core
oystercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 13:10   #2750

Experimenting with Routes.

Using the following to retrieve the list of routes.
Code:
wxString message_id = _T("OCPN_ROUTELIST_REQUEST");
wxString message_body = _T("{\"mode\": \"Not track\"}");
SendPluginMessage(message_id, message_body);
It returns a JSON response something like
Code:
[
   null,
   {
      "active" : false,
      "error" : false,
      "name" : "(Unnamed Route)",
      "GUID" : "03360000-c5e3-4e46-af0f-0a54048d0000"
   }
]
Why the null entry ? It means that if I read the JSON response using something like
Code:
wxJSONValue root;
wxJSONReader reader;
reader.Parse(message_body, &root);
if (root.IsArray()) {
  for (int i = 0; i < root.Size(); i++) {
it's kind of broken, as I need to check for a null value.

Are we meant to iterate the list of routes using
Code:
for (int i = 1; i < root.Size(); i++)
rather than using a zero based iterator ? Are we guaranteed that the first entry will always be a null entry ?
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 21:15   #2751

opencpn 5.2.8
android 11
samsung s10

when i attempt to load the plots plugin the app crashes consistently.

thank you...
bluecolumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 01:34   #2752

Man Overboard.

Are any plugin developers consuming the plugin message "OCPN_MAN_OVERBOARD" that is generated when a user drops a man overboard marker ?

If not, I would like to suggest a change so that instead of returning the guid of temporary man overboard route, it returns the guid of the man overboard waypoint.

In the spirit of interoperability, I have been experimenting with raising alerts on other devices for Man Overboard events.

FFS, I guess someone thought it may have been a great idea at the time, but the unintended consequences of the current implementation are mind boggling, to say the least.

A user hits the MOB icon, and a waypoint is dropped at the present position, another waypoint dropped a mile ahead and a route generated. I'll leave it for others to debate the merits of creating the second waypoint a mile away, based on the present course, rather than taking into consideration wind direction or tidal current, but I'll just point out that no other chartplotter, handheld gps, or any other device that I have ever used does this.

But I digress.

If a plugin wishes to be alerted when a MOB event occurs, it simply requests Plugin Messaging and waits for a plugin message with the id of "OCPN_MAN_OVERBOARD". The json message contains the GUID of the temporary MOB route. So now the plugin has to request the route using the GetRoute_Plugin API. So far, not too onerous, but well on the path to stupidity.

The plugin now has to iterate through the list of waypoints to find the actual waypoint that indicates the man overboard position. This is where it gets really stupid. Like all waypoints, a unique guid is generated for the mob waypoint, so one cannot determine which of the two waypoints is the mob waypoint by distinguishing the guid.

So let's try the man overboard waypoint mark name. That's not going to work either because it is localized. No one can expect a plugin to perform a comparison for "人員落水" in every language that OpenCPN supports.

So the only method for a plugin to determine which of the two waypoints from the MOB temporary route is the actual man overboard position is, believe it or not, to match on the waypoint symbol name "mob".

While it would be nice to suggest that the actual man overboard waypoint is given a invariant, well known guid, that won't work if multiple man overboard waypoints are dropped. So my simple suggestion is that the Plugin Message "OCPN_MAN_OVERBOARD" just returns the man overboard waypoint, not the temporary route.

It would also be nice if this worked in both directions, meaning we need an API so that a plugin can drop a MOB waypoint, perhaps in response to a user pressing some big red button on their boat which may be wired to some electronic circuitry on their RaspberryPi, or in response to receiving an alert from one of those new fangled MOB devices.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 20-11-2021, 01:53   #2753

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

The MOB system was extensively tested some years ago with PLB on a Raymarine Chartplotter and it worked well. I have not tested since then, but do have some vdr files from preliminary testing. Dave had this working. I hope it has not changed and that the changes proposed will be compatible.

I will say that at the time the PLB were a completely new device and it was implimented early in the development so perhaps it should be revisited.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 13:29   #2754

Re: Seatracer S.287 AIS

Can anyone help me connect Seatracer AIS s.287 wifi to Opencpn live chats. What would be best equipment to connect to output 9 pin d type rs232/rs422 port out of back of AIS. What to view info live.
jackcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 13:39   #2755

Boat: Najad 34

jackcharles...
See page 9 and 10 here:
https://usermanual.wiki/SevenStar-Electronics/S287/html
In case yo don't have a COM port on your PC, rather rare these day's, you'll need a "RS232/serial to USB converter" available on most places providing computer accessories. (Or: https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Usb-Ad...To+Usb+Adapter)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 02:49   #2756

Quote:
The MOB system was extensively tested some years ago with PLB on a Raymarine Chartplotter and it worked well.
Is this feature related to the attached dialog ? If so then am I correct in assuming that if an AIS Type 1,2,3, 18 or 19 message is received with the corresponding address it should raise a MOB alert instead of a normal AIS position report ?
In my limited testing it does not appear to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mmsi-mob.png
Views:	34
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	248633  
Old 21-11-2021, 04:28   #2757

Thank you Hakan but is there a way I can do it through WIFI TCP/IP instead of hardwired. iNavx software requires tcp/ip connection. This AIS way purchased by my daughter for my 32' yorktown. I currently do not have any hi end electronics on it. I have a small GPS that I cannot connect anything too. I do not knowmuch about the new stuff like NMEA 0183 or 2000 hookups and probably too expensive for such a small vessel. My daughter just wanted me to be a bit safer when I sail offshore at night. Would like to connect wifi through db9 port ot asmall android or apple tablet. Thanks for your help.

Jack
jackcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 08:47   #2758

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Is this feature related to the attached dialog ? If so then am I correct in assuming that if an AIS Type 1,2,3, 18 or 19 message is received with the corresponding address it should raise a MOB alert instead of a normal AIS position report ?
In my limited testing it does not appear to do so.

Then something has changed, sometime ago I am afraid. This needs to be fixed!! Steve, please enter the details in Opencpn Issues. Thanks for the discovery.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 09:05   #2759

Boat: Najad 34

Jack..
What I can see that AIS device has no wifi support.
Your daughter's care is commendable and I do support these safety considerations.
So what's next..
Many opportunities but I list two here for now.
  1. A small Raspberry Pi running Openplotter with OpenCPN where you connect the serial to USB converter from the AIS. The RPi can act as a wifi hot spot and feed your tablets. (A fun project and you'll have learned a lot when finalized.)
  2. A simple adapter from the serial protocol of you AIS device to wifi to support your tablet(s).
For the latter option I found some examples, see below.

Now I please bare in mind i haven't tested any of the linked devise but according to the specification both would fit. If you find a similar device elsewhere take that. These are just the first I found by Google.

For the first you have to get you a serial cable with a DB9 connector in one end for the AIS and screw the wires from pin 2,3 and 5 to the plinth. Straight forward and nothing is damaged if you get pin 2 and 3 wrong at the first try.
The second can directly use a serial DB9 cable.
To be safe feed both the AIS and the adapter from the same power fuse.

The Elfin-EW10A with a 4 pin connector.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...15c6c3cd8ce2-0

Or maybe the HF2211.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3293...15c6c3cd8ce2-6

An exiting project.
Good luck.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 11:20   #2760

AIS/MOB Error as requested by Rick.

Refer to Flyspray item: FS#2807

Note this refers to the following dialog where my assumption is that any MMSI address tagged to be displayed as a MOB alert, is displayed as a MOB alert instead of a normal position alert.

AIS SART/MOB/EPIRB devices with the correct MMSI prefix (970/972/974) and correct Navigation Status values (14 - SART Active) are displayed correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ais mob error 03.png
Views:	39
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	248644