Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 04:21   #1546

Boat: Valiant 42
Beta Test / Technical

Hakan,

There are a lot of changes flowing into the repository now. There are also changes to the binary dependencies outside the repository. I think it is likely that at any given moment what you get from the repository will be broken in some way. I suggest you wait a bit until they finish all the updates and then try a build. Also, read up on the new binary dependencies that have to be downloaded.

Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 04:38   #1547

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Beta Test / Technical

I don't know about Windows but latest github code compiles fine here with Xcode 7.0 for Mac OS X. However I commented out all the mipmap and texture compression or cache stuff because I don't needed it.

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 06:16   #1548
Marine Service Provider

Hakan/Dan...

re:
"There are a lot of changes flowing into the repository now"

Precisely right. We are pulling in a lot of pending Pull Requests, Feature upgrades, and assorted cleanup code. At any given moment, one or more platform builds will probably be broken.

But have no fear, the dust will settle in a couple of days, and we can move forward to Beta.

Thanks for testing the builds as we go. It helps focus the work.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 06:23   #1549
Marine Service Provider

Hakan...

re:
But a question to see if I understands this correct:
Giving a suitable CPU on a specific PC some rendering is now faster if the binary is built by VS2013 compared to a binary built by VS2010. - Correct?

That is correct. The MMX intrinsic code for mipmap generation will be active if the CPU can support it. This will be most obvious if openGL raster texture caching is not enabled, although you might not actually notice any improvement visually.

At this point in the code life, performance improvements are coming by numerous small optimizations, each adding their effect to the overall experience.

Thanks
Dave
Old 21-09-2015, 08:28   #1550

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
You have OpenCPN/src/glu/include/gluos.h ?
Yes, it is there.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:50   #1551

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

I realize the code is in a state of flux right now, so I'm only posting this incase it might be helpful.

With the latest pull, cmake can't find CURL on my system even though it appears to be installed:

Code:
aruntu@aruntu:~/OpenCPN/build$ cmake ..
-- *** Build Architecture is armhf
-- *** Staging to build opencpn 4.1.915 ***
-- *** Package will NOT include documentation ***
-- *** Package will NOT include GSHHS data ***
-- *** Package will NOT include tide and current data ***
-- Building for wxGTK2
-- Found OpenGLESv1
-- Found wxWidgets...
-- -L/usr/local/lib;-pthread;;;-lwx_baseu_net-3.0;-lwx_baseu_xml-3.0;-lwx_gtk2u_html-3.0;-lwx_gtk2u_adv-3.0;-lwx_gtk2u_aui-3.0;-lwx_gtk2u_core-3.0;-lwx_baseu-3.0;-lwx_gtk2u_gl-3.0
-- 
-- *** Staging to build opencpn  ***
-- Build type: Release
-- *** Will install to /usr/local  ***
-- Found GTK2
-- Found Portaudio: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libportaudio.so
-- Portaudio Found
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
  Could NOT find CURL (missing: CURL_LIBRARY CURL_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindCURL.cmake:54 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  Curl.cmake:29 (FIND_PACKAGE)
  CMakeLists.txt:535 (INCLUDE)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/aruntu/OpenCPN/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
aruntu@aruntu:~/OpenCPN/build$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CURL.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	109542  
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 09:56   #1552

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I realize the code is in a state of flux right now, so I'm only posting this incase it might be helpful.

With the latest pull, cmake can't find CURL on my system even though it appears to be installed:
Read the pull info in GIT https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/394 and you see that the binary dependencies have changed. Are you sure you have downloaded the latest binary dependency files for Windows?

Edit: Sorry I see you are not building for Windows. Still I suspect the conversion to opencpn.lib providing download capability is the root of the problem. I think it will clear up in a couple of days.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 10:17   #1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hakan/Dan...

re:
"There are a lot of changes flowing into the repository now"

Precisely right. We are pulling in a lot of pending Pull Requests, Feature upgrades, and assorted cleanup code. At any given moment, one or more platform builds will probably be broken.

But have no fear, the dust will settle in a couple of days, and we can move forward to Beta.

Thanks for testing the builds as we go. It helps focus the work.

Dave
Indeed a lot of strange things are going on. This code e.g. will not work with Windows nor Mac OS X:
Code:
    //  Enable some default PlugIns, and their default options
    if(pConfig){
        pConfig->SetPath( _T ( "/PlugIns/libchartdldr_pi.so" ) );
        pConfig->Write( _T ( "bEnabled" ), true );
    }
Just seen in function: void OCPNPlatform::SetDefaultOptions( void )

Also the changed Curl concept let me believe there might be a desire to go a similiar way for other platforms as done for Android.

Gerhard
Old 21-09-2015, 12:19   #1554

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

FYI Just compiled v4.1.915 for windows and it works
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 05:04   #1555

Boat: Najad 34

Thanks all for fixes. answers and advices...
For VS2010:
Now it builds for release without errors but a bunch of new warnings.
WMM as an inbound plugin is a great step forward!

Package build is however not working due to missing files and other errors although I've used a new "OpenCPN_buildwin-vc10.7z" dated 2015-09-21.
(Opencpn.org is down for the moment so I can't check for other news.)
Code:
CMake Error at C:/Builds/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/build/cmake_install.cmake:31 (file):
    file INSTALL cannot find "C:/Builds/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/buildwin/libcurl.dll".
>>>Håkan: But there's a file called "curllib.dll" instead ???<<<

CMake Error at C:/Builds/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/build/cmake_install.cmake:43 (file):
    file INSTALL cannot find "C:/Builds/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/buildwin/zlib.dll".

EXEC : CPack error : Error when generating package: OpenCPN
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: The command "setlocal
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: cd C:\Builds\OpenCPN\OpenCPN\build
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :cmEnd
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: C:
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :cmEnd
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: C:\Program\CMake\bin\cpack.exe -C Release --config ./CPackConfig.cmake
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: :cmEnd
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: endlocal & call :cmErrorLevel %errorlevel% & goto :cmDone
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: :cmErrorLevel
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: exit /b %1
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: :cmDone
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :VCEnd
C:\Program\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(113,5): error MSB3073: :VCEnd" exited with code 1.
And here are some release warnings if it helps to keep the focus:
Code:
..\src\pluginmanager.cpp(4831): warning C4273: 'wxEVT_DOWNLOAD_EVENT' : inconsistent dll linkage
          c:\builds\opencpn\opencpn\include\ocpn_plugin.h(1122) : see previous definition of 'wxEVT_DOWNLOAD_EVENT'
c:\builds\opencpn\opencpn\plugins\wmm_pi\src\WMM_SubLibrary.c(3055): warning C4552: '+' : operator has no effect; expected operator with side-effect
c:\builds\opencpn\opencpn\plugins\wmm_pi\src\magneticplotmap.cpp(177): warning C4723: potential divide by 0
c:\builds\opencpn\opencpn\plugins\wmm_pi\src\magneticplotmap.cpp(194): warning C4723: potential divide by 0
A bunch of these:
..\..\..\plugins\wmm_pi\src\WMM_SubLibrary.c(1793): warning C4047: 'return' : 'WMMtype_LegendreFunction *' differs in levels of indirection from 'int'
c:\builds\opencpn\opencpn\plugins\chartdldr_pi\src\unrar\os.hpp(25): warning C4005: 'STRICT' : macro redefinition
          C:\wxWidgets-3.0.2\include\wx/msw/wrapwin.h(17) : see previous definition of 'STRICT'
A bunch (>30) of warnings referring to "UNICODE" like this:
c:\builds\opencpn\opencpn\plugins\chartdldr_pi\src\unrar\os.hpp(26): warning C4005: 'UNICODE' : macro redefinition
          command-line arguments :  see previous definition of 'UNICODE'
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 05:34   #1556

Boat: Phantom 19

Hakan...
I will have to rebuild the VS2010 dependencies for packaging when I have time. For now you can just edit the respective cmake file to use the right filenames.

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 05:59   #1557

Nohal...
No hurry!
I got the package to build with these changes in buildwin:
a) Renamed "curllib.dll" from "OpenCPN_buildwin-vc10.7z" to libcurl.dll
b) Copied "zlib.dll" from "OpenCPN_buildwin.7z" to buildwin

Then it builds and install fine.
Thanks
Håkan
Old 22-09-2015, 06:32   #1558
Marine Service Provider

NahanniV...

Re missing curl on armhf build...

I think you will need

Code:
$sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev
Will you please check this and confirm, so that we can get the build instructions updated correctly?

Thanks
Dave
Old 22-09-2015, 08:47   #1559

C++ Core Guidelines
The fathers of C++ have started a new project to help writing better C++ code. It is in a very early stage but might be helpful for beginners as well as for experienced coders. It is not a replacement for the various books found in the web about C++ but will be a work for better C++ language style.

https://github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines

Quote:
The C++ Core Guidelines are a collaborative effort led by Bjarne Stroustrup, much like the C++ language itself. They are the result of many
person-years of discussion and design across a number of organizations. Their design encourages general applicability and broad adoption but
they can be freely copied and modified to meet your organization's needs.

The aim of the guidelines is to help people to use modern C++ effectively. By "modern C++" we mean C++11 and C++14 (and soon C++17). In other
words, what would you like your code to look like in 5 years' time, given that you can start now? In 10 years' time?

The guidelines are focused on relatively higher-level issues, such as interfaces, resource management, memory management, and concurrency. Such
rules affect application architecture and library design. Following the rules will lead to code that is statically type safe, has no resource
leaks, and catches many more programming logic errors than is common in code today. And it will run fast - you can afford to do things right.
Gerhard
Old 22-09-2015, 09:10   #1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Hakan...
I will have to rebuild the VS2010 dependencies for packaging when I have time. .............
And, for info, maybe the make file?:
When used my VS10 Package to install on a Win7 machine Windows refused to start OCPN since "openldap.dll is missing"
On my XP machine the -dll was obviously already there since XP didn't complained.
Håkan