Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 18:02   #1006
Marine Service Provider

Re: Beta Test / Technical

Terry...

P-Dub refers to the current Beta 3.3.604, with known bugs in route name recording.

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 18:43   #1007

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Terry...

P-Dub refers to the current Beta 3.3.604, with known bugs in route name recording.

Dave
I am also referring to 3.3.604. The route name is handled OK for me.

Log attached but I don't see where that happened

Terry
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (10.9 KB, 53 views)
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 13:32   #1008

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40' or is it 39'?? :-)

I am referring to version 3.3.604.

Looking at the new design of the GRIB display, I am really very pleased. However, I think I detected an error:

When using GRIB files from SAILDOCS, where you specified a course and speed (in order to get GRIB data that fit to your changing position), only the first GRIB data is displayed, each subsequent data is blank. Did anybody test that, or (even worse for me) has this already been reported?

Sorry, for possibly not being technical enough, but am an "enthusiastic" user of OPENCPN with very limited technical knowledge about the product. O.K.??

Best regards,

Uwe
HUR450502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 17:32   #1009

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Hur wrote
Quote:
When using GRIB files from SAILDOCS, where you specified a course and speed (in order to get GRIB data that fit to your changing position), only the first GRIB data is displayed, each subsequent data is blank. Did anybody test that, or (even worse for me) has this already been reported?
I am having trouble understanding what is happening, a few facts that might help.
1. The area for the grib is defined by the extent of the chart that is viewable at the time the email is created.
2. You should ask for an 8 day grib.
3. You should check the data types that you would like, considering increase in file size.
4. The grib is based on "gridded" data and the email request is totally independent of your route or routing.
5. Once the email response is received back with the grib file attached, and saved to your grib directory, you load it and you should be able to scroll back and forth with the forward and back arrows, showing new data at those times. Make sure you have enabled the wind, current and other data types by checking the appropriate boxes.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 03:17   #1010

First of all - thanks a lot for your fast reply.

As to the details, I think it is best, I post here the original request to SAILDOCS and then the resulting file.
I was using the same procedure with the pre-versions of OPENCPN and it worked exactly as requested - except for the nuisance to always click on the correct data-line in the GRIB - this "scrolling" function is MUCH better. And it works, as long as you take a GRIB file that is not "moving" so, here is the request:

send GFS:42N,34N,030W,022W|0.5,0.5|0,6..144|PRMSL,WIND, SFCTMP,WAVES,RAIN|7.0,100,2013062110

the resulting file is 68K in size, so I attach it here, hoping the system accepts it. ...

Does this help??
Best regards and MANY thanks for the excellent work you all are doing.

Uwe
Old 24-06-2013, 03:42   #1011

.... oops, the file didn't upload, obviously an invalid file typ, so I rename here the file to "Test.pdf" - you will have to rename it to "Test.grb" to work with it, o.k.???

Thanks again and best regards,

Uwe

P.S.: Hopefully it is attached now ....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Test.pdf (47.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 24-06-2013, 04:51   #1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Terry...

Dave

Dave, I refer to the names of the waypoints when importing a route.
Bye
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 05:11   #1013

Quote:
.... oops, the file didn't upload, obviously an invalid file typ, so I rename here the file to "Test.pdf" - you will have to rename it to "Test.grb" to work with it, o.k.???
Hub, yes that file seems to be missing data. The first two frames seem to show grib data, but the following ones do not. I tried using weather_routing with it and "Grib Failed" appeared. So it is a bad file and probably bad transmission. How do you get this file, through what network, wifi, etc? Something is cutting of the data midstream without error checking. Also try, when you download the email, do not do anything else but download. Some slow computers are sensitive to this.

-Also start with a shorter file, say 4 days, and also set resolution lower, say 2, to reduce the amount of data being sent.

-Then if success increase.

-Try a different service.

-Shutdown the computer and rebooot.

For example, I sent a file to Saildocs and rec'd it back quickly, then did a routing in the azore area. It is complete and seems to work fine. I really think it is your service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Azores-Downloaded-Saildocs-Grib-Failed.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	63102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Azores-Downloaded-Saildocs-Grib-One-that-does-not-Routing.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	63104  

Old 24-06-2013, 06:10   #1014

.... thanks again for your fast reply.

However, I believe there is some misunderstanding about the problem, so let me try to explain what I did and what I would expect. But first let me assure you, the file I sent is o.k., it works perfectly with OpenCPN 3.2.2, Fugawi and zyGrib.

What happens ist the following:

1. you get Grib inormation in an area of let's say between 42° 31'N;031° 32'W and 34° 00'N; 023°05'W.

As I specified a boatspeed of 7.0 knots and a course of 110° true and an interval of 6 hours, you get:

2. the next frame 42 nautical miles further east and a bit more south exactly the data for the northwest corner should be 42° 23.5'N; 30° 26'W

etc. this is repeated for the specified 8 days and therefore covers an area from the Azores down to Gibraltar. Does this explain it a bit better?? Or is there any oterh way to communicte, maybe by phone?

Thank you very much indeed for all your help and understanding.

Best regards, Uwe
Old 24-06-2013, 06:33   #1015

... I think, a "picture explains more then 100 words" ... :-)

I add here a screenshot of the GRIB-Request. You can see the different "frames", which follow the course of 100° at 7 knots. This way youdo not get the "complete big" area covered, but just the area you are in, moving with you. You can animate this beutifully with e.g. "zyGrib" (uGrib doesn't work). Also the file works perfectly with OpenCPN 3.2.2 (with the known limitations).

Does this help??

Thansk again, and best regards,

Uwe

Here is the file:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GRIB-Request.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	63107  
Old 24-06-2013, 07:00   #1016

Hur, you do not make yourself very clear which wastes my time and yours. Do you consider this a bug or a request?

The current grib does not support what you suggest. It is a good idea, to reduce data size. I am not aware of any support in Saildocs email instructions for such a request. What are the parameters that would be needed?

Also I am not the person who's attention you want in this, Get onto the New_Grib thread and ask Jean Pierre Pitzef about it, and describe functionality completely on that thread so he can respond. He's worked on that aspect.

Thanks, so much for bringing this to our attention.
Old 24-06-2013, 07:38   #1017

Let me first apologize, if I didn't post this in the correct thread. I will, as you suggested, contact the mentioned person.

In my opinion this is a bug, as this way of specifying GRIB requests ist existing for years and it works in the "stable" OpenCPN release.

Just for your benefit I attach the complete Grib request - in the lower right corner you see the "Moving Forecast" - this results in the gribfile built. The "frames" you see are the different parts of the gribfile, which will be displayed. In this case every three hours moving east (100° at 7 knots) for 8 days. ok?? However, I will contact the recommended people.

Thanks again for your help - and patience :-)

Best regards, Uwe

Here is the screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GRIB-Request-1.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	63112  
Old 24-06-2013, 08:15   #1018

Hub
You don't give us all the information. Grib 1.2 and 2.2 do not support this Course and Speed concept. Please post in the other thread with this information and advise what version plugin this is, I cannot find this screen that you are showing. If it is not supported in a past plugin, it is not a bug, it is a feature request. You could also post in flyspray under plugins to be sure that it is in the main list.

-Thanks Hub for your hellp.
Old 24-06-2013, 08:38   #1019

Boat: Hylas 44

Hello Uwe

I can confirm that the test grib you sent will work as you describe in 3.2.2. It does not work in 3.3.604. So it is a bug.

Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 12:57   #1020

Plugins-Beta - Weather_Routing & Climatology Updates
Climatology recompiled again today with changes. Download new Climate-Data-6.

Opencpn Beta Login - Plugins - rguser, rgpass.

(Cyclone data is now gz)