Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2024, 05:43   #2851

Re: Beta Test / Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
From the logfile it seems you did really not build OpenGL support at all, are you sure you correctly followed the instructions from https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...dev/linux.html?
Thanks, all functional now..
mpuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 20:47   #2852

updating the plugin catalog stopped working with a Russian IP address. It works via VPN.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 06:01   #2853

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
updating the plugin catalog stopped working with a Russian IP address. It works via VPN.

Darn, that's not good. Very sorry to hear that.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 16:15   #2854

Boat: Wooden 1940's Mystery Cruiser 33'

I am seeing a disagreement between the displayed value for 'Bearing from Ownship' of the cursor, in Dashboard vs. the Status Bar. When NOT in 'North Up' mode, and there is changing vessel heading data, the calculation of bearing in Dashboard, is incorrect relative to that in the Status Bar. I also observed this when APRoute displays the vector to the 'follow point'. I suspect this may be more of a problem with the plugin API than with either of the plugins themselves. I'd like to hear if anyone can recreate this anomaly on their particular installation. I am running MacOS 11.7.10 Ocpn 5.8.4-0+1637c28

_Dave
M/V Kitty Hawk
Old 11-04-2024, 22:41   #2855

Boat: Najad 34

Dave..
No I see no differences. That's when "Show true bearing" is enabled in Options->units. Otherwise the status bar shows magnetic (M) bearing.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 10:13   #2856

Hakan,

Thanks for the quick reply. What OS did you test..? Trying to determine if this is MacOS specific problem...

Not a True vs. Mag error, differences are very much larger than the Variation here ~5deg.

Hoping others can test as well, and report for various OS...
Old 12-04-2024, 11:03   #2857

OK, some more testing, more detail. The problem is related to motion of the displayed chart, in response to either 'follow ship' or 'course / heading up'. When chart is stationary, North up, No follow; bearing displayed by Status bar updates if cursor is moved and is correct, does not update with vessel motion. Bearing displayed by Dashboard follows vessel position updates, and is correct as vessel or cursor moves. If chart display moves for any reason, bearing displayed by Dashboard becomes incorrect, and takes some value near 300.

Can anyone replicate this behavior, and on what OS..?
Old 12-04-2024, 23:28   #2858

Dave..
Ok, with you description I see the same.
I suppose the status bar's cursor data is updated only when the cursor is moved.
Dashboard, and other plugins, data is updated periodically. I suppose every second.
(Both as long the cursor is within the OCPN window, else is last value shown).

That the status bar cursor data updates only when the cursor has been moved I think is as designed and not a bug. I also think it can be changed if important but will be called a future request.
Old 13-04-2024, 08:41   #2859

Hakan, Thanks for the confirmation. The status bar behavior is fine as it is now. The Dashboard behavior should be fixed. The question in my mind is whether it is a problem with the plugin API, or just the Dashboard code. I have seen a problem with the APRoute plugin where the vector to the follow point is incorrectly displayed when not in North up, which makes me wonder whether there is a bug affecting all plugins when the chart position / orientation is changing. Or, it may be just a case of how plugins handle the updates to chart orientation before calculating display objects, and some guidance needed. I do like the constant update in Dashboard when chart is not moving as I can set text size so I can see at the helm (status bar too small for these old eyes). Would be very nice if it can be made to work when chart moves as well.

Appreciate the work you and the team do, thanks..!
Old 13-04-2024, 10:45   #2860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
Hakan, Thanks for the confirmation. The status bar behavior is fine as it is now. The Dashboard behavior should be fixed.
Now I'm not following you. If we are talking about the "From own ship" instrument what's the problem?

The instrument shows the true angle to cursor, as the status bar. That's the angle to steer to reach the cursor. Or do you want a instrument to show the angle from ships bow? (English is not may native language so I try to describe the angles in other words. I think bearing in English is not exactly the same as a similar word in my language)
Old 13-04-2024, 11:26   #2861

From own ship, when displayed by Dashboard plugin (not status bar), is the problem. So you need to observe 'From Own Ship' instrument in Dashboard display to see the problem. When chart is stationary, no problem, bearing follows ship motion and updates correctly as ship moves. If chart moves, bearing displayed by Dashboard plugin becomes incorrect.

Does this help..?
Old 13-04-2024, 22:44   #2862

Dave..
No I don't see any strange values I'm on Win and Linux.
Instrument "From own ship". If I don't move the cursor. In auto follow mode the bearing is all time the same. In non auto follow mode the bearing is updated as it should.
Old 17-04-2024, 12:57   #2863

Thanks Hakan. Perhaps this is a MacOS issue. Would like to hear from other Mac users if they are on this thread. Easy to replicate the problem, with Dashboard Ownship instrument running, move chart with arrow keys in non-follow, or allow update from GPS with auto-follow. Bearing displayed by Dashboard should either not change until cursor is moved (like Status Bar), or update to a correct value as chart moves.

Any MacOS folks available to test..?
Old 17-04-2024, 16:09   #2864

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Dave, I contacted Manfred Aldebaran17 perhaps you will hear from him.
Rick
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2024, 00:47   #2865

Boat: Dehler Optima 106

Dave,

I was able to conform the issue Dave is reporting with OpenCPN 5.8.4. So, it is not beta related.

I have captured a movie sequence so that it is more clear what is going on. You can view/download the movie at dropbox.

The issue is: when dragging the chart (by having the mouse button pressed) the longitude of the position of the cursor jumps between the correct position and one which is wrong by some distance (here some 9 miles).

Compare the two still shots from the movie sequence, which are just a fraction of a second apart while dragging the chart (they from time around 11 sec of the video sequence)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragging Chart #1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	288987
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragging Chart #2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	288988

Compare the difference in longitude between the two stills: some 12 (arc) minutes corresponding to maybe ten miles (chart area is Santa Barbara), however the mouse (and consequently) the chart has been moved by virtually nothing: the purple circle around the boat has 5nm radius.

This happens only while dragging. When stopping movement (but still being in "dragging mode", so mouse button still pressed) the cursor position stabilizes at the right value.

The offset depends on chart scale, so I guess it is an offset in the software by pixels, which then is converted to a distance in miles according to the scale.

Since the bug does not show up in the status bar (you can also see that in the two still), it is most likely related to the dashboard plugin.

Since I have you guys here:
@Dave: how did you manage to install plugins in O5.9. on the Mac. I downloaded the install package from cloudsmith, however then O only starts in safe mode (plugins disabled) and the plugin-manager does not show me anything to install. Could you please tell me which file from the beta repository you did install on your Mac

And another thing, since the devs maybe listening here:
In Options -> Display -> General -> Status Bar Option, where you can select "Live ETA at Cursor" could please add the units to the default boat speed. Obviously, it is the user defined units for speed, but the units have to go with the value, always. And O does it like this everywhere else, e.g. also in the status bar ("@6kts .."), except here. Well, you probably guessed: I am a physicist,....

Hope this helped,

Manfred
Aldebaran17 is offline   Reply With Quote