Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2023, 15:16   #1

Boat: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50
Anchor Watch

I have 2 questions related to Anchor Watch.

1. Is there some way I can run a script/program or call something if the anchor drags?

2. I see in the opencpn.conf which contains "AnchorWatch1GUID=" a guid when a watch is set and nothing when not set. But it does not change until you quiet OpenCPN is there somewhere else I can check for the Anchor Watch if it is set or not?

TIA
deepthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 19:52   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Anchor Watch

TIA.
Check the plugin Watchdog and the "Command" function for a Anchor alarm->"Alarm action"
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 11:14   #3

@Hakan: thanks but would be nice if I can send the info to the script this seems to just let me run a program is there way to send some variable with it or something?

I am trying to get the anchor locate and if its set to another app.

Thanks
Old 24-02-2023, 12:36   #4

Boat: Najad 34

Use the command function as you like. To start a script of yours for example. Use A RPi and any GPIO and trig a big horn or whatever you need?

BTW: What's wrong with OCPN and available plugins?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 04:07   #5

@Hakan: Its not I need to trigger a script as much as I would like the anchor drop location. Do you know if there is some way I can get the gps location of the actual anchor watch somehow?

There is nothing wrong with OCPN and or its plugins. I am trying to get this info to somewhere else.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2023, 09:37   #6

Boat: Phantom 19

You currently can't get this information. It would be an easy code addition (~one line) that would send a JSON message to the plugin API with the GUID of the waypoint used, which you then could retrieve in eg. JavaScript plugin and do whatever you want...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 05:13   #7

Would you care to share a patch or the line to add where?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
You currently can't get this information. It would be an easy code addition (~one line) that would send a JSON message to the plugin API with the GUID of the waypoint used, which you then could retrieve in eg. JavaScript plugin and do whatever you want...
Old 03-03-2023, 06:17   #8

I have prepared a pull request implementing this, https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/3049/files
Old 04-03-2023, 07:25   #9

@nohal: thank you very much
Old 04-03-2023, 07:28   #10

BTW, the patch has already been merged, so you can now simply use the CI builds of OpenCPN from https://cloudsmith.io/~david-registe...able/packages/
Old 02-10-2023, 12:49   #11

I had the same question but I don't understand the answers here ;-)
Is there a way to execute a command / script from openCPN when a anchor alarm is raised?

(Alternatively, is there a way to set up a signal K notification when the anchor alarm is raised?)
ray122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 15:28   #12

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Nice that Pavel and Hakan responded to you in various ways, when a review of the features in Watchdog would have answered your persistent question.

Perhaps reading the watchdog manual would inform you about the wealth of functions in watchdog? User Manual Plugins

In particular, notice the Command checkbox and the fields associated with that. If you want particular improvements (RFE requests for enhancement) please post in the Issues section of the particular plugin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watchdog-Anchor-Edit-Alarm.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	281654  
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 23:00   #13

Thanks! Maybe my post was not clear, after hours searching the Internet. The question concerned the internal OpenCPN Anchor watch, not the Watchdog. I'm aware of the command feature of the Watchdog pluggin. But I don't think the watchdog anchor watch is practial to use. Because it takes the boat position when you create the alarm. The Boat position is not the anchor position, and you need to make a manual calculation to center the watch circle. OpenCPN internal anchor watch doesn't do it either, but with the Ruler tool you can pretty much adjust the actual position of the anchor

I'm open that someone explains me how s/he actually use Watchdog in real life (I'm single handled), especiallly the instruction #1 of the documentation (very good btw):
"1 - Set the Anchor Alert at the same time and place as the Anchor!"

I'll take your advice from another post and submit an enhancement request in github. Thanks and sorry for the bothering
ray122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 05:07   #14

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray122 View Post
Thanks! Maybe my post was not clear, after hours searching the Internet. The question concerned the internal OpenCPN Anchor watch, not the Watchdog. I'm aware of the command feature of the Watchdog pluggin. But I don't think the watchdog anchor watch is practial to use. Because it takes the boat position when you create the alarm. The Boat position is not the anchor position, and you need to make a manual calculation to center the watch circle. OpenCPN internal anchor watch doesn't do it either, but with the Ruler tool you can pretty much adjust the actual position of the anchor

I'm open that someone explains me how s/he actually use Watchdog in real life (I'm single handled), especiallly the instruction #1 of the documentation (very good btw):
"1 - Set the Anchor Alert at the same time and place as the Anchor!"

I'll take your advice from another post and submit an enhancement request in github. Thanks and sorry for the bothering

Many thanks Ray, for your persistence and post in github watchdog Issues. It is very clear and concise. The sketch is perfect. Now we just need to find the programming resources to get it done. This will be an excellent enhancement to the alarm.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor