Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2016, 08:08   #166
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I'd like to leave now. If you /we can collectively and creatively find/convince me, you/we could collectively convince others, in the spirit of Lynn and Larry's advice I ask you to bring it on! This is a mental thought challenge to you all!
Back to the start.

It all comes down to you can not make more years, but you can make more money. Do you want to spend all those years making money, or spending it?

And you don't need to made anywhere as much money if you come back (say in your 60s) than when you left. The only reason I needed to make the money I have the past years was to build the cruising kitty and buy a boat, all while still having the house on land. I've only really lived on 25% of the money I've been getting paid. The rest went to the govt, savings, house, boat and all those were about the same percent of the total earnings.

Those of us in our 50s who can go need to go while we can. We worked hard lets spend the money for something other than sitting around longer in a diaper drooling on ourselves.

Just what I think and why I decided to pursue this life path for the past 9 years.
Old 31-08-2016, 08:19   #167
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

You cannot depend on coming back into society and getting another job like the one you had. Age discrimination is VERY real and now more often than ever before. I know people who've lost their jobs, good professional folk, who are still looking after two years at age 55++. With an economic downturn it will be even more morose.

Pump up as much as you can into those tanks before setting off. It's a long journey into the unknown.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 08:50   #168
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Try asking this delivery skipper..
I ask the owners to pickle WM's if its a long trip.. and never used washing machines on them either..
Genset.. whole different thing...
Why in the world would you choose to turn off a waternaker and decline the use of a washing machine that's been made available to you? Or are you just being contrary? If I offered up a free beer, would you turn that down as well?

We've many tines offered up our extra water and the use of our washing machine to fellow cruisers who gladly accept.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 08:56   #169
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why in the world would you choose to turn off a waternaker and decline the use of a washing machine that's been made available to you? Or are you just being contrary? If I offered up a free beer, would you turn that down as well?

We've many tines offered up our extra water and the use of our washing machine to fellow cruisers who gladly accept.
Not being contrary Keno... just do not need or want the use of them.
There's enough crap systems on the boats to keep me stressed out without adding more ****..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 08:58   #170
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not being contrary Keno... just do not need or want the use of them.
There's enough crap systems on the boats to keep me stressed out without adding more ****..
It's also on par to respect the owner's equipment and care of the boat. Some delivery skippers cover up all the upholstery with plastic and seal up anything they don't need
Old 31-08-2016, 09:08   #171
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
It's also on par to respect the owner's equipment and care of the boat. Some delivery skippers cover up all the upholstery with plastic and seal up anything they don't need
A watermaker is an example of a system that works better the more it's used. The pumps don't like to sit unused and the membrane functions better the more it's used.

We use our Spectra every day.
Old 31-08-2016, 10:05   #172

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
You got that right, most women, my wife included and nearly all the full time cruising couples we know, wouldn't have any interest in cruising without some of the more basic modern conveniences. Some might get by for day or weekend trips, but not full time status. This explains the many lonely sailor men who don't get it.

We haven't heard back from Gadagirl in a few days, how do we know she doesn't like some modern things? Most women don't like camping on a boat.
Uh, well, I am a man and I have complained about conveniences I didn't want or need and had to fix... or worry about... or re-buy... Now with my own boat I am happy with fewer conveniences, and since my wife grew up in a little village with no running water or electricity, she is kind of proud of her ability to "camp out" comfortably. Don't get me wrong, she LOVES her conveniences, she just has a different frame of reference, her "compared to what" reference, that helps her feel fine with less. To your point though, we are not full time cruisers... but I still think the frame of reference thing can help you feel fine with less and not feel deprived...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 10:32   #173

Boat: Rafiki 37

"Modern conveniences" are great, but come at a cost. There is a cost to purchase and install, a cost to operate, and a cost to maintain and repair. If you can manage all these costs of time, skills and money, then great! Fill your boots, or your boats with them. If you can't, then having a boat full of "conveniences" can become damn inconvenient.

I have plenty of "modern conveniences" on my boat. I will get more (possibly a watermaker). They are reasonably well matched to my skill and my resources. I, and my spouse (yes, a real live cruising woman!) am living quite comfortably.

And Ken, you've clearly never actually gone camping since you continue to make this silly "camping" remark. I can take you actual camping if you like, and show you the difference .

As for the "most women" comment, well, I think most people here have provided adequate feedback. Ascribing attributes based solely on gender is a painful old patriarchal trope that most people are at least trying to get beyond.
Old 31-08-2016, 10:58   #174
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
"Modern conveniences" are great, but come at a cost. There is a cost to purchase and install, a cost to operate, and a cost to maintain and repair. If you can manage all these costs of time, skills and money, then great! Fill your boots, or your boats with them. If you can't, then having a boat full of "conveniences" can become damn inconvenient.

I have plenty of "modern conveniences" on my boat. I will get more (possibly a watermaker). They are reasonably well matched to my skill and my resources. I, and my spouse (yes, a real live cruising woman!) am living quite comfortably.

And Ken, you've clearly never actually gone camping since you continue to make this silly "camping" remark. I can take you actual camping if you like, and show you the difference .

As for the "most women" comment, well, I think most people here have provided adequate feedback. Ascribing attributes based solely on gender is a painful old patriarchal trope that most people are at least trying to get beyond.
Mike,

Save your PC lecture.

My wife and I camped in tents all the way up to six years ago when we purchased the Hunter, that's when we'd had enough. I actually backpacked and enjoyed hiking the entire John Miur trail in California a couple of times as well as climbing up Mount Whitney several times... All great experiences. So yes I do know what I'm talking about. We still go deer hunting every year at a camp up in Maine... which will be sure to upset many of the more sensitive on this forum; but I really don't care. ;-)

The one habit we can't seen to break is staying in budget hotels.

Regarding the PC crap.... Don't expect my wife and I to succumb to it anytime soon, that's one of the reasons why we go cruising; to get away from all that B.S.
Old 31-08-2016, 11:17   #175
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
"Modern conveniences" are great, but come at a cost. There is a cost to purchase and install, a cost to operate, and a cost to maintain and repair. ................
Not to mention the cost of independence. Modern conveniences are wonderful, but many people today couldn't take a walk in the woods without a cell phone.
Old 31-08-2016, 11:19   #176

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Mike,

My wife and I camped in tents all the way up to six years ago when we purchased the Hunter, that's when we'd had enough. I actually backpacked and enjoyed hiking the entire John Miur trail in California a couple of times as well as climbing up Mount Whitney several times... All great experiences. So yes I do know what I'm talking about. We still go deer hunting every year at a camp up in Maine which will be sure to upset many of the more sensitive on this forum; but I really don't care. ;-)

The one habit we can't seen to break is staying in budget hotels.

Regarding the PC crap.... Don't expect me to succumb to it anytime soon, that's why we go cruising; to get away from all that B.S.
What can I say Ken. You keep equating how some of us live on our boats to "camping." So you are either purposely lying, or you are ignorant of what it means to go camping. Which is it? Oh wait... I suppose there is a third option, but if I suggest it the mods will slap my wrist.

As to all the "PC crap," if you think broad-brushing entire genders is acceptable, then enjoy your 19th century thinking my friend .
Old 31-08-2016, 11:20   #177
cruiser

The John Miur(sp) trail is the Rt 95 of camping.

Lets talk about luxes. I don't see that many, really. Please list what you think are luxes.

Watermaker => think it more standard these days for everyone all around.
WashingMachine => why? I wear shorts all the time. Sleeping bag once a year.
Generator => why when Solar will do if you plan right.
LEDs => nice instead of oil lamps

NEW Overrated Brompton Bike instead of an affordable Giant Express => overkill...wait, that's for Ken. Theres one...
Old 31-08-2016, 11:32   #178
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The John Miur(sp) trail is the Rt 95 of camping.

Lets talk about luxes. I don't see that many, really. Please list what you think are luxes.

Watermaker => think it more standard these days for everyone all around.
WashingMachine => why? I wear shorts all the time. Sleeping bag once a year.
Generator => why when Solar will do if you plan right.
LEDs => nice instead of oil lamps

NEW Overrated Brompton Bike instead of an affordable Giant Express => overkill...wait, that's for Ken. Theres one...
"...Have a Nice Day" ;-)
Old 31-08-2016, 11:39   #179
cruiser

Quote:
What can I say Ken. You keep equating how some of us live on our boats to "camping." So you are either purposely lying, or you are ignorant of what it means to go camping. Which is it? Oh wait... I suppose there is a third option, but if I suggest it the mods will slap my wrist.

As to all the "PC crap," if you think broad-brushing entire genders is acceptable, then enjoy your 19th century thinking my friend .
Like I wrote previously... Save your lectures.

My wife and I couldn't care any less.
Old 31-08-2016, 11:39   #180

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

gosh (sure add gee golly), is it really worth quibbling about? I grew up with the idea that polite company avoids certain subbects. Im adding cruising style to the list. I find the atmosphere a bit baffling.