Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2016, 13:24   #136
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

I have an exit strategy in every port..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 13:31   #137

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Exit strategy? Simple. You suddenly find u can't fooin sail no more, so sell the boat (for whatever u can get after using it for 10-20 years or scraps if it actually SANK nearby), take some of that bank money YOU SAVED FOR SUCH A TIME and buy a trailer and make cute carvings out of Green apples. That's one strategy.

Want another? That one's FREE. I got a ton of them. I can sell you one of SaltyMonkey's Strategies® -- for Humans who have no imagination for backup plans but like to suggest going out there without anything at all like charts or a life-raft or EPIRB.
Na....the best exit strategy is a small plot of land, dig a nice deep hole and bury the boat up to the port lights. Pull out the engine and use the space for a wheel chair ramp. There is always a way to keep the boat!
Old 30-08-2016, 13:32   #138

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well Gadagirl, looks like you got your money's worth with this thread!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 13:32   #139

Boat: a sailing boat

I was just pointing at the fact that whether it is a magic 100k or a magic 1.000k the worry is always there.

Worry is mind-specific, not amount-specific.

A worrying mind will find another worry as soon as one worry gets resolved. For this is the worrying mind's fixed property - this worry IS the mind. Remove the worry and it goes nuts!

One who does not worry, goes sailing now, or not.
One who worries a lot, goes sailing later, or not.

I was about to say "have your pick" here but it is clear this is futile. "Thank your parents for your genes". Yep.

Give or take.

I know what I am talking about: I am a worrying mind. My partner is a non-worrying mind. She will interrupt my masochistic worry sessions by saying things like "if you do not move your bum and paint / fix this (/that) now, we are not going the West Indies this winter (2017). So I move that bum and get things done. She has been right so many times that I virtually stopped worrying about reliability of her prophecies.

Learn from your opposites, for there is truly nothing you can learn from your alikes.

An interesting twist is that citizens of the most affluent empire on this planet (planet Earth, just for record) are also the most worry-ing nation and by a wide margin so. We met people in the islands who had barely anything, except perhaps for the broadest, nicest smile from here to Darwin. I know, correlation no causation ... but ... there seems to be a pattern.

I think perhaps ages ago, in the African bush, "we" could gain a lot by fore-seeing, planning, envisioning = worrying. The problem today is "we" are very many and with each and every making their own accurate plans, pulling their own way, the sum-product of the whole social push&pull is possibly way less predictable than getting eaten by a lion (or a fellow) in a savanah.

Hence my advice to the non-worrying mind: go with the flow, smell the wind, follow the profits, cut the loses, chase the rabbit and pop in for a free vegetarian sandwich.

I am sorry if I have little consolation for the worrying mind: I can only hope you will always find something wholesome to worry about.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 14:03   #140
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

1,000K isn't a plan; it's a goal. Set some goal for yourself. Anything where N = FUNDS. If you get there in T, a date you set for yourself, fine. If not, you GO. If you cannot GO for other reasons. FINE too. Quit the emoting.

An exit strategy is just a backup plan. Have a bunch; morph if you ever have to actually use it.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 14:05   #141
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Na....the best exit strategy is a small plot of land, dig a nice deep hole and bury the boat up to the port lights. Pull out the engine and use the space for a wheel chair ramp. There is always a way to keep the boat!
That's assuming you HAVE a boat, that it didn't sink or you sailed it to the Bahanas, went ashore and came back to see your boat had drifted out to sea never to be seen again. Wait. That's been done.
Old 30-08-2016, 14:11   #142
CLOD

Boat: none

Some people make it so hard. Unless you really are pretty freakin rich you have to take a chance.

Either decide you are or your aren't based on whatever rocks your boat in the decision matrix.
Old 30-08-2016, 14:12   #143
CLOD

Boat: none

BTW - asking for permission is asking to be told NO! Applying to asking if you can go sailing is ......................, well you know.
Old 30-08-2016, 14:18   #144

Quote:
That's assuming you HAVE a boat, that it didn't sink or you sailed it to the Bahanas, went ashore and came back to see your boat had drifted out to sea never to be seen again. Wait. That's been done.
Exactly...I try to keep my plan original. Missing boats are so last year!
Old 30-08-2016, 14:45   #145

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)

1,000K isn't a plan; it's a goal.

(...)
1,000K isn't a goal; it's a budget.

Sailing to here be dragons and hopefully back is a goal.

If you scrap hopefully back, a lesser amount may suffice too.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 15:04   #146

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Mike,

I'm just doing the same thing as you in a different part of the world and reporting back on what's taking place. The only difference between us, is we prefer flush toilets, watermakers, a genset and a washing machine. Without our present outfit... We wouldn't be doing this.

Not everyone is as enthusastic about the "less is best" approach.

Ken
Are you serious that you wouldnt cruise if unable to have such things as a flushing toilet? You even make a right wing capatalist like myself cringe....lol.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 17:29   #147

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Exit strategy? Simple. You suddenly find u can't fooin sail no more, so sell the boat (for whatever u can get after using it for 10-20 years or scraps if it actually SANK nearby), take some of that bank money YOU SAVED FOR SUCH A TIME and buy a trailer and make cute carvings out of Green apples. That's one strategy.

Want another? That one's FREE. I got a ton of them. I can sell you one of SaltyMonkey's Strategies® -- for Humans who have no imagination for backup plans but like to suggest going out there without anything at all like charts or a life-raft or EPIRB.
Gee salty did anyone actually suggest that ?
Not sailin ain't the end of the world or end of life neither. If your other exits are similar to the free one they ain't worth diddly squat.
If your in that bottle with the 45 for company then definitely the professional therapy is the choice recommendation you mirror for the OP.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 18:10   #148

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I've seen several trailerables in rv parks. Most recently a nice double ender with a roomy pilot house. They were headed into the Tombigbee.
Now imagine a graveyard for boats all rented out. Big boom tents.No sewer construction as the honey wagon arrives every Tuesday at 9am for those without compost toilets.The community garden is wheelchair accessible, so is the dingy in the pool. Rum night every night. Gun range out back. Bus trips to the beach Saturday morning.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 19:02   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
I've seen several trailerables in rv parks. Most recently a nice double ender with a roomy pilot house. They were headed into the Tombigbee.
Now imagine a graveyard for boats all rented out. Big boom tents.No sewer construction as the honey wagon arrives every Tuesday at 9am for those without compost toilets.The community garden is wheelchair accessible, so is the dingy in the pool. Rum night every night. Gun range out back. Bus trips to the beach Saturday morning.
Ok, sounded great until I started imaging free wheeling drunken seniors with guns.....

"Salty Gardens Retirement Home. Our motto is: The last cruise is the best cruise" Free walker boats for eveybody! Hurrah!!!
Old 30-08-2016, 19:25   #150
cruiser

SaltyMonkey likes this. Imagines sunken tires surrounding driveway pulling up , painted white, gnomes on the grass and giant shiny orbs on pedestals.