Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2021, 17:55   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Using IP Camera with Raymarine Axium

I just bought an "ONVIF compatible" camera, I'm trying to interface with Axium 9 MFD.

I found one with 12 volt, POE, and it powers up, I can see it on a windows browser, but it won't connect to MFD.

The IP address assigned was 10.22.0.32 using the MFD's DHCP. I had to modify my computer IP to see it, but camera, and config shows up.

I turned off ONVIF authentication, and RTSP authentication, and set res to 720P.

I'm trying to download the latest lighthouse as Raymarine stated they fixed some camera bugs in ver 3.15, ( I have 3.11 from 5 months ago).

Has anyone used a 3rd party camera with Raymarine?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 19:24   #2

Re: Using IP Camera with Raymarine Axium

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I just bought an "ONVIF compatible" camera, I'm trying to interface with Axium 9 MFD.

I found one with 12 volt, POE, and it powers up, I can see it on a windows browser, but it won't connect to MFD.

The IP address assigned was 10.22.0.32 using the MFD's DHCP. I had to modify my computer IP to see it, but camera, and config shows up.

I turned off ONVIF authentication, and RTSP authentication, and set res to 720P.

I'm trying to download the latest lighthouse as Raymarine stated they fixed some camera bugs in ver 3.15, ( I have 3.11 from 5 months ago).

Has anyone used a 3rd party camera with Raymarine?

I have NOT done this specifically... But

ONVIF compatible does not mean ONVIF compliant. You may need RTSP on and use a full path / password but... you say its working as it should without it on a windows computer. Or are you saying you can access the camera's menu, not get the stream. Uncertain of what you are saying here.

Can you, with the MFD, set a static ip address instead of dynamic? I've found lots of IP cameras do not like dynamic IP address'. Finally, do you need to assign a listening port in the MFD? Most ip cameras require it.

Hope some of this helps. Makes you long for the days when a Bigger Hammer solved almost all issues.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 20:48   #3

If I set the windows browser (chrome) to the camera ip, i see the stream. I can also access it's menu from windows. I don't know how to change the video settings in Raymarine MFD. I'm gonna have to call them.
Old 25-08-2021, 05:27   #4

Quote:
If I set the windows browser (chrome) to the camera ip, i see the stream. I can also access it's menu from windows. I don't know how to change the video settings in Raymarine MFD. I'm gonna have to call them.

If everything works for the PC then the issue pretty much has to be the MFD. Yeah, make that call.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 15:18   #5

Raymarine was ZERO help. their suggestion was to buy a $1,500 Raymarine camera.
Old 24-03-2022, 03:21   #6

Boat: Trimarans!

Quote:
Raymarine was ZERO help. their suggestion was to buy a $1,500 Raymarine camera.

May I ask if you managed to resolve the issue?

What cable connection did you use to connect camera’s Ethernet port to your Axiom 9?
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 08:58   #7

Raymarine makes an ethernet (rj-45) to Raymarine Canbus adapter.

I wasn't able to get a third party camera to work. The ONVIS standard has apparently changed, and Raymarine doesn't support the new standard.

I bricked a $150 security camera trying to hack the firmware to bypass the ONVIF password required. Can't get an answer from Chinese camera company on how to factory reset. No visible jumpers on circuit board.

So right now I'm stuck.

Raymarine sent me several software updates the latest has a bug where it randomly reboots on chart radar combo screen.
Old 24-03-2022, 14:51   #8

Boat: Trimarans!

Copy. This saves me a ton of time, thank you!

May go with a tablet/phone and something like this

https://montavue.com/products/4k-8mp...sion-mtt8113-v
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 17:56   #9

Yeah, an ethernet to usb to a tablet, or a wifi camera will work.

As soon as I get the nerve to order another replacement for the one that now has non functioning firmware, that's the route I'm taking.
Old 26-04-2022, 05:25   #10

It can absolutely be done. Here is a write up I did on the Meridian forum.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boat Cam Project 3.pdf (1.07 MB, 810 views)
mjoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 06:19   #11

I just wanted to say thanks for that write up.
It takes time and effort to make something like that and share it.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:18   #12

Boat: Freedom 40/40

Just an update to anyone looking for a third party camera, I was able to get one working on Lighthouse 4.3 relatively easily.

It looks like the previously mentioned cameras in this thread either aren't available anymore, or I can't find them. I tried a "Hikvision/Uniview Compatible 6MP" camera, and I couldn't get it to work, so I returned it and tried this one instead. Right now it's on sale on Amazon for $50. It's the "Amcrest 5MP Turret POE Camera", about 2400 reviews, comes in black or white, and the Amazon stock number is B083G9KT4C

I'm most definitely not an IT person, so for anyone who is equally as clueless as I am, here is what I did:
I connected the camera to my home internet router with an ethernet cable, and used a POE injector to supply power (I used a 12v to 48v converter, but the camera will apparently also take 12v without POE using the plug pigtail).
Using the downloaded Amcrest software (they have a link in the included documentation), I found the camera's IP address, and typed it into a Chrome browser.
The camera's login came up, the documentation had the username and password (admin and admin, and it immediately asks you to change the password)

I changed the following settings:
Changed resolution to 1080p (not sure if it's necessary as the MFD will probably down-convert)
Turn ONVIF authentication off
It was already set to H.264
(Don't forget to click "save" on each page)

I think that was it, although I feel like I'm forgetting something. I'll update later after I check. There were other ways listed in the documentation to configure the camera that might work, but this way was easiest for me on the bench.

Then I connected the camera to my Raymarine HS5 switch, which was also connected to my Axiom 9. The camera showed up in the Settings->Network list, which was promising after the previous failure. Then go to the camera (Video?) page on the MFD, and you should see an icon for the new camera, I think mine said "IPC". Touch the icon, and it should work?
SeaSkwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:07   #13

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkwerl View Post
Just an update to anyone looking for a third party camera, I was able to get one working on Lighthouse 4.3 relatively easily.

It looks like the previously mentioned cameras in this thread either aren't available anymore, or I can't find them. I tried a "Hikvision/Uniview Compatible 6MP" camera, and I couldn't get it to work, so I returned it and tried this one instead. Right now it's on sale on Amazon for $50. It's the "Amcrest 5MP Turret POE Camera", about 2400 reviews, comes in black or white, and the Amazon stock number is B083G9KT4C

I'm most definitely not an IT person, so for anyone who is equally as clueless as I am, here is what I did:
I connected the camera to my home internet router with an ethernet cable, and used a POE injector to supply power (I used a 12v to 48v converter, but the camera will apparently also take 12v without POE using the plug pigtail).
Using the downloaded Amcrest software (they have a link in the included documentation), I found the camera's IP address, and typed it into a Chrome browser.
The camera's login came up, the documentation had the username and password (admin and admin, and it immediately asks you to change the password)

I changed the following settings:
Changed resolution to 1080p (not sure if it's necessary as the MFD will probably down-convert)
Turn ONVIF authentication off
It was already set to H.264
(Don't forget to click "save" on each page)

I think that was it, although I feel like I'm forgetting something. I'll update later after I check. There were other ways listed in the documentation to configure the camera that might work, but this way was easiest for me on the bench.

Then I connected the camera to my Raymarine HS5 switch, which was also connected to my Axiom 9. The camera showed up in the Settings->Network list, which was promising after the previous failure. Then go to the camera (Video?) page on the MFD, and you should see an icon for the new camera, I think mine said "IPC". Touch the icon, and it should work?

Thanks very much for this, really helpful to have a real world example. I’ve got a couple of questions:
- Did you use a generic POE injector or the Raymarine one?
- Does the camera need to be plugged into a router or is that just for initial setup?
- What adapter did you use to connect the Ethernet cable to the HS5 switch?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 13:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Thanks very much for this, really helpful to have a real world example. I’ve got a couple of questions:
- Did you use a generic POE injector or the Raymarine one?
- Does the camera need to be plugged into a router or is that just for initial setup?
- What adapter did you use to connect the Ethernet cable to the HS5 switch?
Good questions.

The POE injector I used is a simple generic passive one, here on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-Pass...56&sr=8-1&th=1

Being passive, I had to use a separate power supply; this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Vol...ps%2C86&sr=8-1

I'm almost certain there is a better/easier product to use for the POE injection, but that's what I had laying around.

I just used the router for the initial set-up. I'm not sure if plugging the camera directly into my laptop would have worked; I tried on the other camera and it did not, but that could have been my error and not the setup. Or maybe this camera is different. After it's set up, it can be a straight shot from the HS5 (or MFD?) to the camera, nothing else needed (besides power).

I used the standard Raymarine A80160 ethernet to Raynet adapter to connect to the HS5. (As someone who builds engineering prototype cable assemblies, don't get me started on proprietary connectors and how stupidly expensive/unnecessary they are, but it is what it is). I also used a female to female ethernet adapter somewhere in the chain as well. There's one included with the camera, and another with the A80160 cable.

My installation plan is to house the HS5 switch, POE injector and the small power supply behind my breaker panel area, and run only the CAT5 to the camera in the cockpit, so that works. There's a 12v jack pig-tail that comes off of the back of the camera with the ethernet plug that I'll have to waterproof somehow. Probably just cut it off and adhesive-shrink tube it. If you didn't want to use POE it looks like you could run a separate 12v line to the camera, but there's no plug included.
Old 05-01-2023, 15:05   #15

Sorry, it's an A80247 rj45 to Raynet adapter. I got it on ebay, it says "Equivalent to Raymarine A80247" so maybe it's not name brand? But it works, a little longer, and it was under $60. Wonder where they got the raynet connector...

Tags
camera, marine, raymarine