Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2023, 15:12   #16

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: Using IP Camera with Raymarine Axium

Very useful! Thanks!
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 15:38   #17

Boat: Outremer 55L
Using IP Camera with Raymarine Axium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkwerl View Post
Good questions.

The POE injector I used is a simple generic passive one, here on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-Pass...56&sr=8-1&th=1

Being passive, I had to use a separate power supply; this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Vol...ps%2C86&sr=8-1

I'm almost certain there is a better/easier product to use for the POE injection, but that's what I had laying around.

I just used the router for the initial set-up. I'm not sure if plugging the camera directly into my laptop would have worked; I tried on the other camera and it did not, but that could have been my error and not the setup. Or maybe this camera is different. After it's set up, it can be a straight shot from the HS5 (or MFD?) to the camera, nothing else needed (besides power).

I used the standard Raymarine A80160 ethernet to Raynet adapter to connect to the HS5. (As someone who builds engineering prototype cable assemblies, don't get me started on proprietary connectors and how stupidly expensive/unnecessary they are, but it is what it is). I also used a female to female ethernet adapter somewhere in the chain as well. There's one included with the camera, and another with the A80160 cable.

My installation plan is to house the HS5 switch, POE injector and the small power supply behind my breaker panel area, and run only the CAT5 to the camera in the cockpit, so that works. There's a 12v jack pig-tail that comes off of the back of the camera with the ethernet plug that I'll have to waterproof somehow. Probably just cut it off and adhesive-shrink tube it. If you didn't want to use POE it looks like you could run a separate 12v line to the camera, but there's no plug included.

Regarding the POE injector that you used, it shows that it can input 5-56V, so can’t it be powered from a 12V power supply? Or is it better to provide it with higher voltage input?

Also, what are the power requirements for that camera? They don’t seem to specify that anywhere.

I ran a Cat5 cable to our future camera location underneath the radar when we last had the mast out and it terminates behind the chart table. We’ve already got an HS5 switch and a spare RJ45 to Raynet cable (used it to connect our Cerbo to our Axiom, but have since connected it to our router), so that will take care of connecting from the POE injector to the HS5 switch.

When configuring the camera how does it get power if it goes straight into a router or laptop?

Thanks for all this info!!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 16:57   #18

Boat: Freedom 40/40

The POE injector I listed is passive, which means it does not actually supply any power itself. Think of it more like a simple connector. So it will inject whatever voltage you put to it. In other words, it requires a separate power supply from somewhere. You could put whatever voltage you want through it, including 12v, but...

The camera has two power inputs:
POE, and it lists the standard 802.3a, which means "Per IEEE standards, PoE is injected into a cable at voltage between 44 and 57V DC, typically 48V DC." So if you use POE, it has to be 48V. That's where the little 48v power supply I listed comes in. That power supply has a 12v DC input, unlike the majority of POE injectors which have a standard household 120V AC input.
The other way to power the camera: On the backside of the camera are two wires, the rj45 jack for the CAT5 cable, and a 12v power jack. So I'm assuming you can power the camera with 12v, you just have to do so right at the camera instead of over the CAT5(POE). There is no 12v plug included with the camera or injector, so you'd have to source that as well.
(I imagine that you could theoretically inject 12v on one end, then un-inject it on the camera end with a second POE injector, and then wire the camera directly, but I haven't tried this.)

If you have a 120v AC plug nearby that you won't mind dedicating to your camera, you could use a 120v powered POE injector that has a built in 48v DC power supply. Or it looks like some people have had success with connecting an off the shelf ethernet switch with POE to their HS5.

When I configured the camera with my laptop, I had my bench power supply (set to 12v) connected to the 48v power converter, connected to the POE injector. You might have to get creative to power it during configuring. Like I said, there is probably a better way to do it, but that's what I already had set up trying the other camera.
SeaSkwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 17:22   #19

Quote:
The POE injector I listed is passive, which means it does not actually supply any power itself. Think of it more like a simple connector. So it will inject whatever voltage you put to it. In other words, it requires a separate power supply from somewhere. You could put whatever voltage you want through it, including 12v, but...

POE, and it lists the standard 802.3a, which means "Per IEEE standards, PoE is injected into a cable at voltage between 44 and 57V DC, typically 48V DC." So if you use POE, it has to be 48V. That's where the little 48v power supply I listed comes in. That power supply has a 12v DC input, unlike the majority of POE injectors which have a standard household 120V AC input.
The other way to power the camera: On the backside of the camera are two wires, the rj45 jack for the CAT5 cable, and a 12v power jack. So I'm assuming you can power the camera with 12v, you just have to do so right at the camera instead of over the CAT5(POE). There is no 12v plug included with the camera or injector, so you'd have to source that as well.
(I imagine that you could theoretically inject 12v on one end, then un-inject it on the camera end with a second POE injector, and then wire the camera directly, but I haven't tried this.)

If you have a 120v AC plug nearby that you won't mind dedicating to your camera, you could use a 120v powered POE injector that has a built in 48v DC power supply. Or it looks like some people have had success with connecting an off the shelf ethernet switch with POE to their HS5.

When I configured the camera with my laptop, I had my bench power supply (set to 12v) connected to the 48v power converter, connected to the POE injector. You might have to get creative to power it during configuring. Like I said, there is probably a better way to do it, but that's what I already had set up trying the other camera.

Understood, thanks. I’m a total novice with POE so thanks for your patience and answering my questions. Now I understand why the 12V step up to 48V converter is needed.
Old 12-01-2023, 13:56   #20

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

This is good news! My 3rd party IP mast cam works fine on my Raymarine e7 MFD, but I couldn’t get it working on an Axiom. As stated before, Raymarine just said ‘the software of the Axiom is different’. Sure, that’s no news. Also, in LH2 there are some basic cam settings available, in LH3 and LH4 there are none. So I assumed RM cut off the use of 3rd party cams by introducing some kind of proprietary handshake. The posts above shine a new light on this matter. New opportunities!
Old 12-01-2023, 14:44   #21

With how fast these types of cheap cameras seem to change, and with how little incentive Raymarine has to adapt, I wonder how long it will be before only the proprietary cameras work. Just a matter of time I suppose.
I'm thinking of buying a few of these just to have, just in case I can't find anything in the future that will work. Still cheaper than the Raymarine cameras.
Old 05-02-2023, 17:31   #22

Using IP Camera with Raymarine Axium

Quote:

I’ve got all the components needed and have one final question for you. The POE Injector has got a female DC plug. Did you cut off the DC plug to wire +ve and -ve wires to the output wires of the 12-48V converter?
Old 05-02-2023, 18:10   #23

I actually had a DC plug with bare leads laying around from some other project that kinda fit the jack on the POE injector. But that was just for testing, and it didn't quite fit right, I actually shove a little piece of aluminum foil in the tip lol.
My plan, like you mentioned, is to cut the female socket off and wire it directly to the converter, and put everything in a plastic project box. If you didn't want to cut the injector you could probably find the loose bare-wire plugs, but I'm not sure what size they are. If you do cut the socket, just make sure you get the +/- correct.
Old 09-02-2023, 19:05   #24

Success!!!! Thanks so much SeaSkwerl for your directions. Pretty much the same gear as SS so I won’t repeat all that.

The POE injector’s DC plug has red and black wires feeding it (discovered after cutting it off) and they do correspond correctly to +ve and -ve. Phew.

Connected the camera to our router and got an IP address for it. Initially configured the camera via the AmcrestViewPro phone app, but it doesn’t have all the configuration settings (particularly security). So then used WebUI on a Chrome browser via the same IP address. Definitely need to turn off ONVIF authentication - that’s the only default setting that needed changing.

After plugging the camera into the HS5 the Axiom+ quickly started to display video!!!! Yay. It took longer but eventually showed the camera in its network list.

Now all that’s left is to go up the mast and mount the camera under our radar. Amcrest provides a waterproof RJ45 connector and rather than cutting off the DC plug (not needed for POE) I’ve just heat shrank the plug.

I think it all cost <$100 AUD - a tenth of what a Raymarine camera would have cost.
Old 18-02-2023, 17:07   #25

Success! My mastcam did work on my Raymarine e7 MFD, but didn't show up on an Axiom. Until now, something must have been changed in one of the recent Axiom updates. It is now inmediately detected by the Axiom. It is a very cheap camera, brand 'Hamrolte' model 6024A-i20. The only thing the Axiom doesn't like is recording video. Photos are fine, but as soon as I try to record video the Axiom crashes and restarts itself. Well, I can live with this restriction.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ilcigno_mastcam_on_axiom.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	271756  
Old 22-02-2023, 04:17   #26

Boat: Contest 46

I’m trying to do something similar having just set up a bnc IR camera to monitor the engine bay. Can anyone who has done this recently share what cameras they have had success with please? I’ve already tried an Annke camera without success.
Many thanks
Jorvik Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2023, 20:48   #27

Can someone post a cold link to the camera? also, this is for a mast head camera? Will that make it easier to dock a. 50 ft?
Arcane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 13:35   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane1 View Post
Can someone post a cold link to the camera?
Sorry, out of stock / not available anymore. These cheap cameras seem to have a very limited commercial life span, so any link will soon be dead anyway. You either have to try and test yourself with a 3d party camera that matches the Raymarine specs, or byte the bullit and buy an expensive RM cam.

Quote:
also, this is for a mast head camera? Will that make it easier to dock a. 50 ft?
I doubt it. No experiece myself, I can dock my 29 ft perfectly alone without tech help. But docking and looking at a screen at the same time doesn't seem te be good practice to me. But that's just my opinion.
Old 13-03-2023, 13:24   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
I just wanted to say thanks for that write up.
It takes time and effort to make something like that and share it.
Hi. We followed your examples using an unmanaged switch and a FLIR T4325ZS TCX PTZ camera bought from my favourite shop beginning with e ending y. We used the FLIR admin pages connecting the camera first to a laptop to disable ONVIF login un and pw. When we now conected to the network the Axiom immediately displayed an image, bingo. The only thing we can’t fathom is if it’s possible to get the PTZ to work ? Did you get that far ? Thanks.
simonnhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 14:22   #30

I used a simple camera without PTZ, similar to the stock Raymarine Cam220, so I can't help you with that. Since FLIR (Teledyne) owns Raymarine, I would think it should be possible? No idea how that works however.

Here is the link to the camera I used for the previous post:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon number B083G9KT4C if the link doesn't work (just paste it into the Amazon search).

(Are we allowed to post links?)

Tags
camera, marine, raymarine