Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2018, 23:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 411
Raymarine C70 screen black spots

Hi all, my C70 classic (yes, I know - a bit of a dinosaur these days!) has suddenly developed "black spot" disease (see photo below). It was fine until a couple of days ago and all the plotter functions seem to be working as per normal. There is the obvious large black circle as well as a smaller blotch near the upper left corner of the screen. These blemishes appear as soon as the unit is powered on and are visible on all pages, so I figure it's an LCD screen deterioration issue. Coincidentally (at least I think it's coincidental), a few weeks ago my Garmin GPS126 started developing a dark "cloud" in the middle of the LCD screen. Won't be able to get them looked at until we get home from current cruise in a week or two, but am interested to know if anyone else has had this happen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1467.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	180815  
Palmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 22:45   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: Raymarine C70 screen black spots

Looks like moisture to me.
Old 21-11-2018, 01:34   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

I would ask the experts over at Raymarine tech support ( http://forum.raymarine.com/ ). They have seen just about everything. But my best guess is something has gone wrong with the liquid crystal pixels. May not be repairable.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 03:37   #4

Boat: Freedom 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I would ask the experts over at Raymarine tech support ( http://forum.raymarine.com/ ). They have seen just about everything. But my best guess is something has gone wrong with the liquid crystal pixels. May not be repairable.
Just for what it's worth, I have an old C70 as well. I didn't have black spots but the resolution and general quality of the image was rubbish to the point of me thinking about chucking it. Was persuaded to send it to Raymarine and for a very reasonable charge they rejuvenated it and it's now very usable again.
Old 21-11-2018, 20:24   #5

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 411

Thanks to KeelMe, transmitterdan and Dan GB for your responses. I'll be home in the next few days and will take the unit to my local Raymarine agent (Trymax Marine) and see what they make of it. If it's fixable, and depending on the estimated cost of repair(s), I'll decide whether or not to put that money towards a new plotter.
Palmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 20:45   #6

Boat: Freedom 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmask View Post
Thanks to KeelMe, transmitterdan and Dan GB for your responses. I'll be home in the next few days and will take the unit to my local Raymarine agent (Trymax Marine) and see what they make of it. If it's fixable, and depending on the estimated cost of repair(s), I'll decide whether or not to put that money towards a new plotter.
Good luck. Again, my situation, but when I was evaluating exactly that same replacement thing, the choice turned into maybe $5k for a new shiny system, Vs a few hundred for making do. I made do.

Fundamentally, to my mind, even our old units are _a miracle_ what they can do!

Tags
marine, raymarine, screen