Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2023, 21:54   #61

Re: Headsets for two-way communication?

No internet or cell service needed. Use apps like the Serval Mesh.

https://www.geckoandfly.com/22562/ch...-mesh-network/
marti972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 01:41   #62
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
I like using my phone with a headset. A camera is very useful in some instances. In home waters where I don´t have to worry about WiFi or mobile data plan - I can pick from tons of mobile apps. It is when I am in a different country or way aways from the closest cell phone tower that I use simple radios. But I wish I had an app that would do something like google meet - but peer to peer over local WiFi network, phone wifi to phone wifi, or bluetooth.

I checked a year ago and couldn´t find an app that could support duplex voice (without having to push a button), video and more than two users. If anyone knows of any, maybe this could be something to try out?

We were in the same boat (pun intended). There is an app called mumble that does what you want, it works on a local network, without Internet and it is full duplex. The challenge though is it needs a local server.

Installing a local server requires a small amount of geekery but not super difficult if you already have a simple boat network. We use Raspberry Pis for a variety of tools and sensors so it is an easy solution for us.
Old 18-02-2023, 04:26   #63

Boat: 2010 Catalina445 #007

We use the Sena headsets also. Have used the SMH10 model on our motorcycles for over 10 years. Great product and affordable.
bact0ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 05:16   #64

Already ESP32 microcontroller for <10$ can provide an onboard local WIFI server, 5 V USB power supply and little geekery by uploading some open source program code e.g. via Arduino IDE.

Analogue solution: Some inspiration for hand signs:

https://www.skipperguide.de/mediawik...iling_2020.pdf
jo_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 06:08   #65

Headsets for two-way communication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_sail View Post
ESP32 microcontroller local WIFI server … by uploading some open source program code e.g. via Arduino IDE.

How to…
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp3...ap-web-server/

ps: extra LEDs used in this example are not essentially needed!
jo_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 06:33   #66

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch
Thumbs up Re: Headsets for two-way communication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Geez, sometimes things are so clear in your head that you forget to mention them. Where we sail there is usually no cell coverage, so we need a solution that doesn't depend on our cell phones. Sorry for not thinking to mention that.

EarTec and Sena are the two leaders in this market for recreational cruisers. Of course, there are many more for professional/industrial applications that come with professional/industrial price tags.

We’ve had a set of 4 EarTec headsets for ~8 years. They are definitely worth every penny we paid. The only maintenance we’ve had to do is replace the batteries once and the ear cups once. Communication around our boat is improved beyond measure, and now it’s calm voices and normal conversation rather than pressured shouting or missed hand signals.

They’ll also phenomenal when working aloft. No more shouting up and down a 65’ mast hoping everyone hears everyone.

To the comment that they’re “unsafe” because they block out ambient noises, that just hasn’t been the case at all. In fact, EarTec headsets come with either one or two ear cups, so if you’re concerned about having ear cups covering both ears, then simply wear the model with one cup.
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 10:29   #67

Boat: IP 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGO View Post
We have recently received a pair of Milo communicators. https://www.okmilo.com
They were funded and developed as a Kick Starter project. It seemed to run 2+ years overdue. The end product is very slick, hands free, waterproof. You can wear it around your neck, wrist, attached to a PFD, any strap, belt or handlebars.
Ive seen these advertised recently. Pricey. But they seem pretty rugged and versatile. Will they connect via bluetooth to a earbud type device?
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 11:39   #68

Boat: Norman Cross, Ray Pond Trimaran, 50

Proposed solutions, which allow to use existing cell phones seem to be most attractive. To whomever gets them going. Sadly we were not successful to pair some cell phones via bluetooth. Not going into details, yet due to this limited ability, we could not make helmchat work.

Already before we bought a comparably inexpensive set of 3 headsets, directly from China, marketed as referee or motorbike full duplex intercom.

Adding a dead-cat (fur) to the mircrophone as wind shield - these also work in windy situations.

(price for 3 intercom is just about 110€ / 120$, incl transport to Europe, and possibly also to other places)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...yAdapt=glo2deu

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...yAdapt=glo2deu
volksbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 14:28   #69

Boat: Lightwave 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
Ive seen these advertised recently. Pricey. But they seem pretty rugged and versatile. Will they connect via bluetooth to a earbud type device?
Yes they do Bluetooth connect but we haven't tried it. The audio clarity and volume seem fine.
Agree Milo is expensive.
LAGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 17:02   #70

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46

We have been using Sena for 3 years and really like them, but they are not cheap. They are supposed to be waterproof. I have worn them in the rain and had no problems.

Many cruisers call them 'marriage savers' and I can see why. It is hard to speak loudly enough to be heard and not sound and feel like you are shouting at your spouse. That never helps...

We mostly use the headsets while docking and anchoring. Sometimes also when going up the mast, especially when I know I will need additional tools or parts sent up.
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:46   #71

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I have been thinking of trying out something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/eSynic-Profes...61&sr=8-3&th=1

They are well reviewed on Amazon and we only need them for the infrequent times when my wife hauls me up the mast using the Milwaukee angle drill to power the winch. Getting tired of screaming "stop! STOP!" so that I can be heard over the sound of the drill before getting sucked into the masthead sheave but don't want to drop $400 on something that would be rarely used.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:17   #72

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46

@Mikereed1000 - I'm not sure but many 'walkie-talkies' are 'press to talk' devices. You may not have a free hand to press the talk button.

Just a thought.
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 02:40   #73

Boat: Norman Cross 46

I tried the link but the page does not exist??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
Ive been considering these: https://senaindustrial.com/collectio...ts/expand-boom

Weather resistant and dont cost an arm and leg. Anyone try these yet?
Old 05-02-2024, 02:47   #74

Boat: Norman Cross 46

I second that, the Sena units are well made and I am glad some friends recommended them!
Old 05-02-2024, 04:11   #75

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Neptune View Post
@Mikereed1000 - I'm not sure but many 'walkie-talkies' are 'press to talk' devices. You may not have a free hand to press the talk button.

Just a thought.
Even using a VOX headset on walkie-talkies usually doesn't work all that great, either. Hands free, but there's usually some start-up latency before transmission actually begins... which means you either lose the first five words... or you have to add 5 words to the beginning of a sentence (e.g., "one, two, three, four, five") before saying anything important.

-Chris

Tags
head