Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2023, 22:44   #1

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd
Headsets for two-way communication?

Has anyone tried two-way headsets on board, such as these ones? How have they worked out for you?

My wife and I both have some hearing loss and we have trouble communicating when we're on deck at opposite ends of the boat, especially when the engine is running. We use hand signals but it would be nice to be able to communicate verbally.

Yikes! I just saw the price of those Eartec headsets. A bit steep. Maybe just FRS radios with headsets and boom mics?
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 00:04   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Headsets for two-way communication?

You can use a regular, not expensive, headset plugged into your phones and use the free Android app called HelmChat.
The app is geared towards motorbike communication between driver and passenger, but works also on a boat.

Works hands-free and does not require internet access.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....helmchat.meet
Old 10-02-2023, 02:30   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post

Are you sure that HelmChat does not require Internet access?

My understanding is limited, so you may be correct.

I understood that you needed to have 3G, 4G, or 5G data on tap and that HelmChat uses about 500 KB/minute of data because its engine is a videoconference app that connects both (or all) users to the HelmChat server.

https://helmchat.eu/
https://www.rideapart.com/news/44453...nications-app/

So okay for coastal cruising with 3G, 4G, 5G coverage and just maybe viable for blue water work if your boat has, say, a WiFi router connected to the Internet.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:55   #4

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Are you sure that HelmChat does not require Internet access?

My understanding is limited, so you may be correct.

I understood that you needed to have 3G, 4G, or 5G data on tap and that HelmChat uses about 500 KB/minute of data because its engine is a videoconference app that connects both (or all) users to the HelmChat server.

https://helmchat.eu/

https://www.rideapart.com/news/44453...nications-app/

So okay for coastal cruising with 3G, 4G, 5G coverage and just maybe viable for blue water work if your boat has, say, a WiFi router connected to the Internet.
It works with Bluetooth and we had data switched off. So pretty positive it does not need data.
Old 10-02-2023, 03:14   #5

We use the Eartec headphones. They are great. Highly recommended. Comfortable clear speaking voices even in wind. We never need to raise our voices even if the situation (usually docking in wind) is difficult. They have a good range too so we use them when sending someone up the mast or even from the boat to the dinghy when checking out a possible anchor location.
PSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 03:29   #6

Quote:
It works with Bluetooth and we had data switched off. So pretty positive it does not need data.
HelmChat is built upon open-source videoconference software Jitsi (which requires Internet/data - see the main page https://helmchat.eu/ - and which I've personally customized and implemented on one of the websites I run so very familiar with it). The https://helmchat.eu/#faq says:

Quote:
[General] The connection constantly drops, it doesn't work!

Can you only occasionally hear the other(s)? Can only talk for a short time? Hearing the disconnected sound a lot?

The issue is probably the (lack of) internet connection in your region. Make sure you have 3/4/5G cell coverage in the region where you will drive. And prepare some music for the moments that there is no coverage as there will be some silent moments as well.

If your region has a bad or inconstant 3/4/5G internet connection it might be that Helmchat is not the application you should use. Buy a headset with a decent intercom system is the best optional or use an 'intercom' application on your phone which build up a connection through Bluetooth.
So, respectfully, if you had turned off mobile data, you were connected to WiFi somewhere. It won't work otherwise.
b_ohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 03:50   #7

Quote:
You can use a regular, not expensive, headset plugged into your phones and use the free Android app called HelmChat.
The app is geared towards motorbike communication between driver and passenger, but works also on a boat.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....helmchat.meet
That's exactly what we use, seems to work OK.
paul2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 04:51   #8

We’ve use the Sena for over five years and love them. Many of our cruising friends use them too (the Eartec is reportedly good too but never used one)

The Sena has excellent noise cancelling that knocks out the wind noise you hear on most systems. I can be standing on the bow in a 20kt wind and my wife can talk with me as if I’m beside her inside at the salon table. It’s not at all like talking on a radio.

They greatly reduce the stress level. No yelling or raised voices. Unlike hand signals both my hands are free — to hold a boathook when picking up a mooring.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 04:54   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Has anyone tried two-way headsets on board, such as these ones? How have they worked out for you?

Yikes! I just saw the price of those Eartec headsets. A bit steep. Maybe just FRS radios with headsets and boom mics?

We use SENA headsets, probably equally expensive... but they work well... as does the concepts of headsets in general, for us. Can't see each other when wifey's on deck, couldn't hear each other otherwise.

Tried cellphone alternative, with Bluetooth ear pieces. That worked OK, although it'd be dependent on having cell phone coverage.

Tried family radios, without headset. PITA, can't do deck work with one hand busy. Tried with voice-activated (VOX) headsets, better, but... there's a time lag between start talking and mic working... so we had to adopt saying "One, two, three, four... rest of message. Also, it's push-to-talk simplex frequency usage, so you can't interrupt the other speaker if you need to.... have to wait 'til the other speakers gets done yakking...

IIRC, there are MANY posts here on the topic.

-Chris
Old 10-02-2023, 05:31   #10

I like using my phone with a headset. A camera is very useful in some instances. In home waters where I don´t have to worry about WiFi or mobile data plan - I can pick from tons of mobile apps. It is when I am in a different country or way aways from the closest cell phone tower that I use simple radios. But I wish I had an app that would do something like google meet - but peer to peer over local WiFi network, phone wifi to phone wifi, or bluetooth.

An added benefit with the phone is that it is always on my body or near by, and everyone has at least one. Another one is that anyone can join in - even people on shore. Batteries are usually good. It is one less device to carry around, having to charge, having to teach people how to use, etc. Also it has everything else you might need on it as well. I only use radios where I can´t get internet, and only because I have not found a good enough P2P app.

I checked a year ago and couldn´t find an app that could support duplex voice (without having to push a button), video and more than two users. If anyone knows of any, maybe this could be something to try out?

I know that some people are worried about dropping their phone into the drink. Many phones are waterproof, there are great cases that protect against anything you can throw at it, and there are cases with carrying straps, belt hooks, clips, etc. And if you are really worried, you can get a second hand phone dirt cheap.
Gard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 05:36   #11

Yes, we’ve had the EarTech for about 3 years now and they work flawlessly, they should be mandatory equipment for cruising couples!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 06:12   #12

During anchoring operations, one of us sometimes has to lean out, looking over the side - I worry that a wireless headset could fall off and be lost (I've lost glasses that way and now always use a retainer). Do people use some type of retainer or are they super secure?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:00   #13

We also have the Sena and love them. I use mine for hands free talk on my phone or listening to music etc as well. They wrap around the back of your neck so no risk of falling off when leaning out over boat.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:12   #14

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd

Geez, sometimes things are so clear in your head that you forget to mention them. Where we sail there is usually no cell coverage, so we need a solution that doesn't depend on our cell phones. Sorry for not thinking to mention that.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:35   #15

Boat: IP 44

Ive been considering these: https://senaindustrial.com/collectio...ts/expand-boom

Weather resistant and dont cost an arm and leg. Anyone try these yet?
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head