Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2023, 16:46   #31

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Headsets for two-way communication?

I thought the headsets were a bit superfluous for a long time. I usually singlehand, so there is no possibility of needing to communicate between deck and helm because I can't be in both places at once. So I assumed that anyone with a good bit of experience would learn how to decouple those roles and not need so much communication. And certainly that is possible, as are efficient hand signals.

But I recently crewed for a captain that had them. I went forward to operate the windlass while the captain stayed at the helm. They were an absolute pleasure to use in that situation. I was able to report on the anchor's behavior while the captain backed down. This was in a tough anchorage and it took us several tries to get a set that we were happy with. It certainly all could have been done without the headsets, but after resetting the anchor 6 times, with constant information flow in both directions to try to determine a strategy to get a good set, I was very glad to have them. No shouting, confusion, or doing laps back to the cockpit to have discussions with the captain.

Most anchoring situations aren't that tough, and a cruising couple that has been together for a while will likely have less to talk about than I did crewing for a new captain. But even so, I was amazed how much I liked having the option to speak quietly directly in the captain's ear.
Old 10-02-2023, 23:02   #32

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we have 44' cat and another vote for eartec. not cheap but they WORK...seamlessly...easily. personally believe they are best on the market, but respect others opinions

we can work without them, but why make life difficult for yourself ?

cheers,
Old 11-02-2023, 04:56   #33

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Based on previous forums on this issue, both Eartec & Sena work very well, allowing effective conversation without having to raise one’s voice hence the nickname “marriage savers” for those of us who are not full time cruisers with Mike’s experience.The Eartec are over the head style and possibly prone to falling off/overboard but have a user replaceable rechargeable battery. The Sena has a behind the head style, which seems secure when bending over, but the batteries are not replaceable. We use the Sena. Fwiw, the stubby microphone arm seems to work just as well as the longer boom and is less intrusive. We use them whenever conditions warrant including checking below decks gauges when refueling, pumping out …
Old 11-02-2023, 06:41   #34

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebtrois View Post
We also have the Sena and love them. I use mine for hands free talk on my phone or listening to music etc as well. They wrap around the back of your neck so no risk of falling off when leaning out over boat.
JEB
We use Sena too and picked them for the reason noted here plus they work better with hats. With Eartec you have to put your hat in first then the headset.
Old 11-02-2023, 06:58   #35

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

We’re testing this app: Intercom for Android. This one allows communicating using your regular Bluetooth headsets connected to a phone over the boat WiFi. No Internet connection required.

The app itself is free, though there is a small in-app payment that can be made to remove ads.

There is also an iOS version, though we haven’t tried that.
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:31   #36

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
We’re testing this app: Intercom for Android. This one allows communicating using your regular Bluetooth headsets connected to a phone over the boat WiFi. No Internet connection required.

The app itself is free, though there is a small in-app payment that can be made to remove ads.

There is also an iOS version, though we haven’t tried that.
Thank you. Does it work hands-free?
Might be better than HelmChat than.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:08   #37

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Thank you. Does it work hands-free?
Might be better than HelmChat than.
Yes. By default it is push-to-talk (you can use a volume button, or an external Bluetooth shutter button), but the app has a voice activation feature as well. Enable it in the app settings, and you can “just talk”. So far has worked ok, though sometimes it gets activated by background noises.
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:25   #38

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatswing View Post
The Sena has a behind the head style, which seems secure when bending over, but the batteries are not replaceable.

I have read the batteries are actually replaceable... with a tiny micro-screwdriver.

Haven't had to to try that yet, but do already have that kind of driver set... for repairing eyeglasses, replacing laptop batteries, and so forth.

-Chris
Old 11-02-2023, 09:26   #39

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
Yes. By default it is push-to-talk (you can use a volume button, or an external Bluetooth shutter button), but the app has a voice activation feature as well. Enable it in the app settings, and you can “just talk”. So far has worked ok, though sometimes it gets activated by background noises.
Awesome, thanks. Will switch to this app then.
Old 11-02-2023, 20:40   #40

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

correct me if i'm wrong please, however i don't think any of the mobile phone based systems are full duplex...ie where both parties can talk / listen at same time

this is an important feature...as is reliable easy hands-free

cheers,
Old 17-02-2023, 06:37   #41

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

Yes!We have used an earlier model of the Eartec headphones for almost 15 years. And once you use them, you'll never go back. We used hand signals and screaming for the first 8 years. Nothing better than hands free, full duplex communications. No buttons to push, you can both talk and be heard at the same time and no more screaming. Invaluable when docking. The admiral goes forward as we approach the dock and I can hear her conversing with anyone on the dock who comes to assist. She can relay my instructions to them. Don't let price be a determining factor. Spend whatever it costs. You'll be happy you did!
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 06:46   #42

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

Single speaker headsets with mic are okay, although they slightly impair the hearing of the deck crew or captain. Two speaker headsets are not safe due to the inability to hear outside noises that indicate danger, or instructions or warnings from people on shore, other boats, etc.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 06:55   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
Ive been considering these: https://senaindustrial.com/collectio...ts/expand-boom

Weather resistant and dont cost an arm and leg. Anyone try these yet?
They working Perfect has been used it last summer in the med.
The best solution we have tryed.
SY-Genzerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 06:58   #44

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2jones View Post
Two speaker headsets are not safe due to the inability to hear outside noises that indicate danger, or instructions or warnings from people on shore, other boats, etc.
Valid concern - especially with enclosed earmuffs. The Sena SP 10’s have open, non- occlusive earpieces. We found, absent conversation from the paired headset(s), no issues with conversation with dock staff, VHF radio etc. while wearing them.
Old 17-02-2023, 07:07   #45

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

After 4 years of full time cruising at my wife's insistence, last year we finally bit the bullet and purchased the EarTec headsets.

I'm hard of hearing and have always preferred hand signals and we have our anchoring and docking down to a finely tuned routine but there are many times one of us has to ask a question or provide a piece of information and hand signals don't cut it and on a larger boat that is in motion you can't always stop what you're doing to walk to the cockpit to communicate.

And, when the **** hits the fan as it does every now and then, the headsets are gold. Same for going up the mast or communicating from dinghy to mothership for working on a project.

Cell phones and VHF radios might be fine for some, but a purpose-built, hands free, great sound quality, comfortable headset that you can wear all day if need be, is a great thing.

Yep, they're not cheap and I resisted getting them for a long time, but I'm a big fan of "Happy Wife, Happy Life" and glad we got them.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head