Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2023, 07:39   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Headsets for two-way communication?

All I can tell you is that when my spouse and I first got into sailing, we used headsets to communicate. Most of the time this was during anchoring or docking, but occasionally other tasks as well.

After a short while we each learned how to do things well, and found less and less need for constant verbal communication. We settled into a few simple procedures and hand signals for anchoring or docking. It's far easier and quicker, and a lot less clunky while you're working the deck.

The headsets remain in the chart table. They get occasional use as simple walkie-talkies.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:52   #17

Boat: Oyster 435

We use the EarTec headphones in your link and have found them to be a good reliable piece of kit. Like Mike, we use them less as time goes by but still find them useful.
Tsuru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:56   #18

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
Thanks for that suggestion, I'll look into it.

The claim of 900 m range surprised me. I played with the range estimator on the Bluetooth web site and it looks like that's not impossible, but it does seem like a best case scenario. Anyway, it's a lot more than 7.5 m, which is as far apart as my wife and I can get and still both be on the boat!
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

The headsets remain in the chart table. They get occasional use as simple walkie-talkies.
Boat size and application has a lot to do with it. On your 37ft monohull I wouldn’t feel the need for headsets. Easy to hear each other.

And even on our 50ft cat we hardly ever use the headsets when docking. We use them primarily for picking up a mooring and anchoring because using a boat hook or attaching the bridle is a complicated task that requires lots of communication between helm and bow while I’m facing forward using both hands.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Boat size and application has a lot to do with it. On your 37ft monohull I wouldn’t feel the need for headsets. Easy to hear each other.

And even on our 50ft cat we hardly ever use the headsets when docking. We use them primarily for picking up a mooring and anchoring because using a boat hook or attaching the bridle is a complicated task that requires lots of communication between helm and bow while I’m facing forward using both hands.
Yes, definitely agree. If I had a much larger boat (say 60'+) or one with lots of sight line obstructions, I think the calculus would be different. The OP's boat is around 26 feet long.

We don't have any issues picking up moorings using hand signals. Our bridle goes on once the boat is anchored, so no need for any helm effort.

I think it's far easier to use simple hand signals on our boat, than to constantly chatter back and forth. We find the key is to have a clear plan going in, sometimes with a B, C and D lined up. And then to do things slowly -- which is all we ever do . But as you say, boat types matter.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue for which is right or better. I'm just relaying my (our) experience. When we started, we were convinced of the need for headsets. Over time, and without any real intention, we gravitated away from them.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:11   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
During anchoring operations, one of us sometimes has to lean out, looking over the side - I worry that a wireless headset could fall off and be lost (I've lost glasses that way and now always use a retainer). Do people use some type of retainer or are they super secure?
The SENA headsets we use fit around behind the head, not over the top... so no danger of falling off.

I've read the EarTec headsets, at least some of them, fit over the top of the head... and I've read several solutions to that (hats, etc.). Discussed often in headset threads.

-Chris
Old 10-02-2023, 08:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
Do people use some type of retainer or are they super secure?
I would definitely use some kind of retainer. I do that with my reading glasses and sunglasses and I'm sure they've saved me a few times. It could simply be a lanyard, for a headset. You just need something to ensure they don't go overboard if they do come off.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:06   #23

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

They work great. Not only will it keep the peace between you and your wife by eliminating the loud back and forth and mis or unheard instructions, but your neighbors in the anchorage will be saved the loud "conversation". Do you really want to carry your expensive cell phone out on the bow when anchoring in bad weather?
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:09   #24

Boat: O’Day 40

We bought a pair billed as 'Marriage Savers' (cruisingsolutions.com) and I can attest they are appropriately named. I think they are based on a Sena product but they seem to be clear and the battery stays charged for a long time. They can be paired with a cell phone though I haven't need to try this yet. Light weight & secure.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:51   #25

Boat: 2006 Wauquiez PS 41

After getting a pair of the Marriage Saver headsets with the present boat, I won't anchor or pick up a mooring without it. The admiral with our limited experience was never that great with the hand signals or was shouting down into the water so I couldn't hear her and she didn't know if I was reacting to what she was telling me. With the headset it's just normal tone of voice communication and the flow of info about actions and reactions is much improved. Like the radar, gps and ais, the headset are a great stress reliever even if not strictly "necessary."
Old 10-02-2023, 11:53   #26

Boat: Sceptre 41

We tried the equivalent of "marriage savers", but have found after 20 years of anchoring as a team, hand signals (and NOT shouting) work 95% of the time.

Yes, there is still the problematic 5%, but we found that occurs also with the "marriage savers". The nature of anchoring.

And we're still married....
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 12:42   #27

Yelling is a sure sign of either an inexperienced crew, or one that is real trouble. Either way, when I hear a couple yelling at each other, I take note and stand ready to either render assistance, or run for cover.

I think these headset systems are great for couples who are first starting out. Or for boaters who don't get out much -- the occasional weekend kind of thing. But most cruisers I run into who have been out doing it for a while tend to use some form of silent communication.
Old 10-02-2023, 13:52   #28

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments!
Old 10-02-2023, 15:39   #29

Boat: Catalina 22, Ovni 39

Being very frugal, we started using kiddie headsets. They worked fine, but eventually the flexible boom mike stopped working. we found a pair of toy headsets that had a solid boom. they do everything we want at <$40. We bought them about 20+ years age and they still function, but do not know where to get them currently. virtually anything that lets you talk forward into the wind and be heard by the helmsperson over the engine noise is a blessing. good luck on your search.
tombeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 15:55   #30

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Yes, we got a set this year, we use the “My team talks” brand, simultaneous two way system, they very work well, and my wife likes them… worth the money, the best part is that one can speak in a conversational tone and volume, even on our 29.9 we would have to raise our voices/yell to be heard correctly and clearly, ( wind noise ) we anchor out the vast majority of the time in a variety of conditions, we used hand signals for years previously to purchasing them, the hand signals worked pretty good but when additional information needs to be exchanged the headsets are absolutely superior and the better choice. it like going from Morse code to to modern communication technology,

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head