Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2023, 08:12   #1

Boat: Hunter 376
Question Connecting Raymarine autopilot to Garmin GPSMAP ⛵️

Hello,

I received a Garmin GMR Fantom 24 Dome radar as new. I don't have a chartplotter yet and I'm wondering if I should resell the Gamin radar or buy a Raymaine radar compatible with an EVO-100 autopilot.

Can we connect Raymarine autopilot EVO-100/P70s to Garmin chartplotter?

What loss of functionality can I expect when not using an Axiom chartplotter?

With an Axiom chartplotter, is autopilot really automatic? I mean, is it not necessary to confirm each waypoint when navigating?

The whole thing is to be used with a 40ft sailboat.

Thanks for you help
Nick233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 08:39   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Connecting Raymarine autopilot to Garmin GPSMAP ⛵️

Yes you can connect it. You will need to activate the autopilot via the autopilot controller (p70) and once activated it will follow a course from the chartplotter. You will not be able to adjust the pilot from the chart plotter (turn it on/off, change modes, or adjust course) All that will need to be done via the p70. With an axiom (I think, I don't actually have an axiom) those functions are duplicated on the chart plotter.

Also, as far as I know, even with an Axiom, you will need to confirm waypoints.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:04   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

There is really no good reason to connect the autopilot to the MFD. The more important question is what are you going to use to display the Garmin radar?
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 11:57   #4

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 8616xsv and connect it to my Raymarine autopilot (p70 head to ACU-400) via SeaTalk/NMEA2000.

It will only follow a route you create manually (or go direct), but it will not engage to track an autoroute. I think you'll need a Garmin autopilot to do all of that.

YMMV.
SV Pelagic Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 17:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
There is really no good reason to connect the autopilot to the MFD. The more important question is what are you going to use to display the Garmin radar?
Let me begin my response by saying that I joined this forum just to respond to this comment. Are you by any chance a HAM radio operator?

Back to the topic, there's at least one good reason to connect the autopilot to the MFD: SO YOU CAN FOLLOW A COURSE AUTOMATICALLY AND HAVE THE AUTOPILOT AUTOCORRECT FOR ANY DRIFT OR DEVIATION FROM THE PLOTTED COURSE.
flacht6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 17:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Pelagic Life View Post
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 8616xsv and connect it to my Raymarine autopilot (p70 head to ACU-400) via SeaTalk/NMEA2000.

It will only follow a route you create manually (or go direct), but it will not engage to track an autoroute. I think you'll need a Garmin autopilot to do all of that.

YMMV.
Damn it. I like to auto route my courses then edit them. When I had my ray marine MFDs I could do that then have the autopilot follow the course.

I'll give this a try this weekend.
Old 29-06-2023, 19:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacht6 View Post
Let me begin my response by saying that I joined this forum just to respond to this comment. Are you by any chance a HAM radio operator?

Back to the topic, there's at least one good reason to connect the autopilot to the MFD: SO YOU CAN FOLLOW A COURSE AUTOMATICALLY AND HAVE THE AUTOPILOT AUTOCORRECT FOR ANY DRIFT OR DEVIATION FROM THE PLOTTED COURSE.

That has been proven to be not the best idea. If you put in the Skipper Bob waypoints to go from A to B, and I put in the Skipper Bob waypoints to go from B to A, we will have an autopilot induced collision. I have seen it happen.

KK6DQ
Old 29-06-2023, 20:33   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
That has been proven to be not the best idea. If you put in the Skipper Bob waypoints to go from A to B, and I put in the Skipper Bob waypoints to go from B to A, we will have an autopilot induced collision. I have seen it happen.

KK6DQ
I could see that happening, and could imagine it even being common.

otoh, I sometimes motor 15 miles up a narrow winding river with little traffic. After the first time, I turned my track into a route. I still sit in the cockpit behind the wheel, but don't have to be constantly steering.
Old 30-06-2023, 06:02   #9

Quote:

KK6DQ

Not saying it's impossible, but the odds of that happening accidentally or naturally must be incredibly small. But it doesn't matter what the odds of it happening are because as a responsible boat captain/driver you would always be at the helm, on watch, and ready to override the autopilot to avoid any danger.
Old 30-06-2023, 11:49   #10

The autopilot corrected positions will be within 10 feet of what you and I told them to be. There is much less chance of a collision of you and I set compass courses and periodically correct them manually for drift and set.

Here is a typical video of a boat on autopilot with someone on watch.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/17/fisher...ught-on-video/
Old 30-06-2023, 13:17   #11

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

This "reciprocal course" issue is nothing new. Even in the days before GPS, if we both started at a buoy, and set a course for the other person's buoy, we'd risk collision. I know lots of people who put their waypoints a little "off" the buoy, or the sailing line, or whatever, just to avoid this.

Personally, I've never worried about it. I'm at the helm dodging lobster and crab buoys, deadheads, floating refrigerators (yes, more than once) and the occasional idiot who's not maintaining a proper lookout.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2023, 13:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Personally, I've never worried about it. I'm at the helm dodging lobster and crab buoys, deadheads, floating refrigerators (yes, more than once) and the occasional idiot who's not maintaining a proper lookout.

BINGO! This is the right answer!

Tags
autopilot, garmin, gps, marine, raymarine