Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2021, 20:05   #1

B&G auto Pilot?

Hey Folks

I am in the process of buying a boat that comes with newer B&G gear from 2019. It has a zeus 3 plotter, 4g radar and a wind instrument.

I can’t quite figure out what components I need to setup a fully compatible autopilot...

Do I need all the things or just the ram and the computer?

Any help is appreciated.
Makr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 20:53   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: B&G auto Pilot?

You will need a rudder feedback unit, the ram, a computer, and a heading input with a rate compass You can use the MFD to control the autopilot, but I would put in a standalone controller for contingencies. A remote would be nice.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 23:18   #3

a bullet proof dumb high quality AP is the CPT. Took me 45 minutes to install mine. Stand alone helm mount. great support too.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:08   #4

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makr0 View Post
Hey Folks

I am in the process of buying a boat that comes with newer B&G gear from 2019. It has a zeus 3 plotter, 4g radar and a wind instrument.

I can’t quite figure out what components I need to setup a fully compatible autopilot...

Do I need all the things or just the ram and the computer?

Any help is appreciated.
The Zeus 3 is an Autopilot controller (might be switched off under features), so most common would be a triton 2 pilot system. AP Base pack (Computer, Rudder sensor, and compass) is what's needed, plus a drive unit. The Base Packs come as the NAC2 or NAC3 pack, depending on boat size. Stick with B&G or the Zeus 3 wont drive it. Oh, and the packs now come with the solid state compass, the precision 9. A lot better than the old rate compasses!
Alternatively, if its a high performance boat, an H5000 and pilot might be the go, depending on whats there now. Get advice from your local B&G dealer :-)
Old 03-09-2021, 20:25   #5

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Makr O
I have the same system and installed the NAC2 computer, precision 9 compass and rudder sensor, all connected to the N2K network. There is a description of the installation on my web site. My boat already had the drive unit. If you don't have a drive unit, then that will be an additional consideration. You would choose the NAC2 or NAC3 depending on the power consumption of your drive unit.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 22:17   #6

Thanks All! Seems pretty straightforward now.

Jerry what’s your website URL?
Makr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 22:52   #7

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

While correct that the Zeus can act as a controller, I recommend a stand alone controller, for two reasons.

1) If mounted above decks, when rain and spray are really bad, the Zeus touchscreen can start to have phantom touches, and ignore intended touches. I’ve had both happen. Bad when trying to make critical course adjustments.

2) The interface can be a bit confusing. When the boat was new to me, I mistakenly changed course a couple of times when I intended to zoom the map because the autopilot widget was active and had “focus” for adjustment knob.

Because of 1 and 2, I deactivated the Zeus autopilot controller on my above deck Zeus.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 23:52   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

No, I would not recommend the dedicated AP controller at all!

If you only have one Zeus plotter and want a backup, then buy a multifunction Triton display plus Triton AP keypad. This gives you much more options and the small keypad can be installed exactly where you want it near the helm.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:34   #9

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

[QUOTE=ohthetrees;3477635]While correct that the Zeus can act as a controller, I recommend a stand alone controller, for two reasons.

1) If mounted above decks, when rain and spray are really bad, the Zeus touchscreen can start to have phantom touches, and ignore intended touches. I’ve had both happen. Bad when trying to make critical course adjustments.

On the Zeuss 3 you can lock the touch function and use the key pad.
Recy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:42   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The other option is a wireless control. We use this almost 100% of the time to change course, mode, or to engage/disingage.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 13:46   #11

Boat: 38" Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No, I would not recommend the dedicated AP controller at all!

If you only have one Zeus plotter and want a backup, then buy a multifunction Triton display plus Triton AP keypad. This gives you much more options and the small keypad can be installed exactly where you want it near the helm.

I assume your talking about the not getting the wireless AP remote? I would agree while it might be good to have as an extra it's not a replacement for the triton2.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 22:31   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingPNW View Post
I assume your talking about the not getting the wireless AP remote? I would agree while it might be good to have as an extra it's not a replacement for the triton2.
I recommend against the fixed, wired, dedicated control heads for the AP. I have no experience with the wireless remote because I use wifi and the iSailor app to control the AP wirelessly.

Old 08-09-2021, 00:52   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I recommend against the fixed, wired, dedicated control heads for the AP. I have no experience with the wireless remote because I use wifi and the iSailor app to control the AP wirelessly.

I would advance the contrary view. It’s a good idea to have a wired dedicated AP control, even if you have other more sophisticated means of control as well.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:42   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I would advance the contrary view. It’s a good idea to have a wired dedicated AP control, even if you have other more sophisticated means of control as well.
The Triton display plus Triton AP keypad -are- wired controls and can be programmed to be dedicated if one wishes, or also view other info (like the old school control heads also did).

Old 08-09-2021, 08:56   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
The Zeus 3 is an Autopilot controller (might be switched off under features), so most common would be a triton 2 pilot system. AP Base pack (Computer, Rudder sensor, and compass) is what's needed, plus a drive unit. The Base Packs come as the NAC2 or NAC3 pack, depending on boat size. Stick with B&G or the Zeus 3 wont drive it. Oh, and the packs now come with the solid state compass, the precision 9. A lot better than the old rate compasses!

Alternatively, if its a high performance boat, an H5000 and pilot might be the go, depending on whats there now. Get advice from your local B&G dealer :-)
Yes. You want the separate keypad if you have space, and an ordinary Triton can be used as the control head display, which is nice to have in addition to the plotter. If - again - you've got space.

You'll need a Navico (Simrad, B&G) pilot computer, but that will control most any hydraulic pump (most of them are anyway stencil branded Hypro units), and you can use either a generic N2K rudder feedback unit or a direct wired one like I have.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote